2015 Dodge Journey - Worst vehicle ever made?

Mudshack

Why is it that Dodge Journey owners have to do so much to simply drive their cars? Here is a list of what I have dealt with under 90K miles on mine and some added from reading posts on here:
- replace cylinder heads (TWICE!)
- replace oil filter housing assembly because it is made of plastic and cracks easily
- pull fuse on horn so it doesn't beep constantly
- swap batteries due to unknown draining
- turn off radio and the climate control so it doesn't run while parked overnight
- rear wiper only works (partially) when the transmission is in reverse
- the emergency brake indicator comes on while going down the highway
- the airbag indicator comes on intermittantly
- you can't get out of the car with the fob in your pocket with people in the car because the door chime will never stop.

I own a 2015 and I will say it. These cars are jokes! And what is worse is the dealerships don't have a clue out to fix them. HOW IS THAT WHEN THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR A DECADE?? Just taking the vehicle in to figure out why it is doing stupid things the dealership charges an arm and a leg to diagnose it.

Dodge, this is why I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product.

I've driven mine from 32k to 90k and I've not needed anything but a  new battery and brakes.

Sounds like bad luck. There was a gasket recall on early Pentastar engines, which FCA extending a special warranty to fix just the Left-hand gasket (15yr/150k miles?) Hopefully the powertrain has been taking care you you both times anyway?  At what mileage did these occur?

- replace oil filter housing assembly because it is made of plastic and cracks easily
 I've never had an issue with my OEM oil filter plastic-bit. comes off easy, goes on easy.  I've never had an easier car to change the oil on. Are you lubing-up the thread when you put it on? someone else mentioned the wrong filter ... Maybe this is causing it to get stuck? are you reefing down on the cap? from my experience, it really doesn't take much to tighten.

- swap batteries due to unknown draining
- turn off radio and the climate control so it doesn't run while parked overnight

is the BCM failing/filled with water? If all these symptoms are grouped together, it seems like a BCM issue.

- you can't get out of the car with the fob in your pocket with people in the car because the door chime will never stop.

This is by design. To let you know you've left the key outside the car. Frustrating for anyone who is forced to sit inside the car and listen to it (say, when you're gassing up in the winter an want to keep the occupants warm). There is no way around this other than leaving the key in the car (which is what I do when I leave my wife in the car and I get sometime from inside the store).

59 minutes ago, NavalLacrosse said:

I've driven mine from 32k to 90k and I've not needed anything but a  new battery and brakes.

Sounds like bad luck. There was a gasket recall on early Pentastar engines, which FCA extending a special warranty to fix just the Left-hand gasket (15yr/150k miles?) Hopefully the powertrain has been taking care you you both times anyway?  At what mileage did these occur?  Had it happen at 80k and 86k.  Only weeks before the powertrain warranty expired.

- replace oil filter housing assembly because it is made of plastic and cracks easily
 I've never had an issue with my OEM oil filter plastic-bit. comes off easy, goes on easy.  I've never had an easier car to change the oil on. Are you lubing-up the thread when you put it on? someone else mentioned the wrong filter ... Maybe this is causing it to get stuck? are you reefing down on the cap? from my experience, it really doesn't take much to tighten. Might have overtightened but hard to do so when I replaced it by hand.

- swap batteries due to unknown draining

is the BCM failing/filled with water? If all these symptoms are grouped together, it seems like a BCM issue. I noticed over a year ago that when I pulled the fuse box out there was some corrossion of some of the fuses.  Horrible design if the fuse box isn't keeping the fuses dry during normal use.  I am guessing that this is my main issue as the cruise control is acting weird too....have to hit cancel very hard and on/off multiple times in sequential order to get cruise to work.  (Both of these cases shouldn't be happening if designed correctly)

This is by design. To let you know you've left the key outside the car. Frustrating for anyone who is forced to sit inside the car and listen to it (say, when you're gassing up in the winter an want to keep the occupants warm). There is no way around this other than leaving the key in the car (which is what I do when I leave my wife in the car and I get sometime from inside the store). I drive many rentals and own 3 cars with fobs.  This DJ is the only one where the dinging will not stop after 5-10 seconds.  It is really annoying.

Edited by Mudshack

You're reading a forum where alot of people come looking for help.Not everyone has all these problems.Mine a 2013 has had an alternator replaced and at 80K Km I am about to do the brakes.I also had a recirculate actuator go to sleep on me but hasn't acted up since.

So you listed or cherry picked the forum.What exactly has gone wrong with yours? And just a note, last time I drove by a Toyota. Honda,GM  (add all others here)  they all have service departments.

I can see your frustration but not sure you can paint the issues your facing with such a wide brush to include DJs in general ?  I have never seen a member include such a list of problems, at one time; if the fuse box was such a bad design we would ALL have issues. As mentioned possibly one issue, the BCM is the root cause of many of your problems noted.  Like most here, my 2012 DJ has never had a major problem, simply routine maintenance required and replacement of battery, brakes and most recently a transmission flush with filter change. Lucky, no that is most of our experiences here, there are too many DJs on the road for over a decade if this was a poorly designed vehicle. Hope you can find the root cause of your issues mentioned, so you can enjoy your DJ as most all of us do. Seems like a $80 diagnosis would be money well spent if it finds the root issue to correct the items listed generally.

The Cruise control problem is a (someone more) common issue in the entire FCA lineup. Mine has the issue too, although I've learned that it seems to be temp-dependant (usually if the AC or heat is is blowing directly on the wheel near my hand). usually if the cruise isn't coming on I've got to 'thud' the wheel hard to get it to work again. I'm pretty sure the 

repair' is to replace the switch assembly which is acting up.

51 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

LOL.....He's posting on every site he's a member of. Exact same post he made over on Dodge Forum.

Yep.  I posted over there thinking it was this forum.  Now I am bouncing back and forth.  Sheesh.  LOL

1 hour ago, NavalLacrosse said:

The Cruise control problem is a (someone more) common issue in the entire FCA lineup. Mine has the issue too, although I've learned that it seems to be temp-dependant (usually if the AC or heat is is blowing directly on the wheel near my hand). usually if the cruise isn't coming on I've got to 'thud' the wheel hard to get it to work again. I'm pretty sure the 

repair' is to replace the switch assembly which is acting up.

But why do DJ owners accept odd stuff like this as "just normal."  You know that isn't normal, right?   Jeep and Dodge owners do a lot of odd things and just explain it as normal.  Guys...lets demand better!

Demand all you want...wont change a thing

For the $$ I paid for my 13 Journey which now has 130000 miles on it I'm quite happy just keeps on running but I maintain it. Had to replace a starter motor and motor mounts on my dime.

You can always spend more money and get a GM, BMW, Audi, Land Rover, Nissan whatever as they never break and are way less to repair if by some crazy chance they do........:cool:

Nothing but happy satisfied people on any auto forums out there not FCA related...lol

Let's be honest, cars are usually a headache and sometimes you just get lucky. I religiously have maintained my cars and have had great experiences, along with bad ones. It happens. If you think Dodge is the only bad car, then you have been lucky with all your other cars. Every issue I have had with my other cars, I've been able to find a solution/ repair online because others have had the same issue. 

Personally, I love my 15 DJ, even though I did have to have my transmission replaced (under warranty). As Larryl mentioned, for the price of these cars, they are a great deal. Sorry you're not happy. 

22 minutes ago, Armando G said:

Personally, I love my 15 DJ, even though I did have to have my transmission replaced (under warranty). As Larryl mentioned, for the price of these cars, they are a great deal. Sorry you're not happy. 

You just made my point.  Dodge/Chrysler owners just assume that is normal....replacing a transmission.  My Jeep, DJ, and Ram all required me to be wrenching on them at one point or another in the course of any given year.  All....my other vehicles did not!  I think that I replaced contact points on a landcruiser's starter and it's radiator (because the local shop poked a hole in it).  Other than that all my other vehicles went over 130,000 before having to start doing anything other than typical maintenance.    Listen.  I bought the DJ in a tight spot where I was low on money and needed to trade in two vehicles at the same time and the DJ was the best I could afford at the time.  I guess you get what you pay for.

• 1 year later...

I used to have a VW.  On their forums people regularly related how much they loved driving them in spite of the fact that they were routinely stranded because they didn't work.   I find that Mopars have a similar appeal.  Every time I buy a new(to me) car, I try to explore other brands but when I add up all the criteria of what I need and want out of a vehicle Mopars always end up coming out on top.   My Town and Country was certainly more trouble free than the Honda Odyssey I had previously.  The Magnum was the only suitable analog for my Buick Estate Wagon.   I still get a thrill driving my 200awd; and the DJ was the only reasonable step away from a minivan without losing a third row and I like driving it.

I usually try to buy used cars that are 3 years old and the price is usually half of the original sticker.  So, I guess I shouldn't be too upset when people hate on mopars.   It saves me a lot of money.

I haven't yet had any major issues with them, but if I did, I would gladly fix them, because I like driving them.   The money that I didn't spend upfront can easily cover any necessary work.

Edited by N8200C

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure the Chevy Equinox still holds the worst car ever made title. I could tell you all stories on them! 

back to the Journey, 

I know we all have been here long enough to know they’re not perfect or necessarily super reliable but it’s unfortunately the norm with modern vehicles. 

guess its just the luck of the draw on getting a good one, I had a 2011 (with 70 k and  no problems with it) and loved it so much i traded it in on my 2014 and have 112 k on this one and have only had 3 small things go wrong with it and they were covered under my warranty

On 5/3/2021 at 10:03 PM, 2late4u said:

guess its just the luck of the draw on getting a good one, I had a 2011 (with 70 k and  no problems with it) and loved it so much i traded it in on my 2014 and have 112 k on this one and have only had 3 small things go wrong with it and they were covered under my warranty

With 186K MILES now on our 2011, the last "snafu" of the radio causing a short and keeping the dash lit up was annoying to find the cause, but EASY to fix(another radio that's plug and play). STILL really like the car for what it is, even though the gamble we took on buying it with a possible dying trans did bite us. I can't speak as nicely to MANY GM models as was posted prior here. ALL cars have their own "special quirks"!

Well, it does not matter who makes the car, there are bound to be a few lemons. I just sold a 2013 Lincoln MKS, which I bought new for $55,000. It had 86,000 miles. Between 75.000 and 85,000 miles, I put roughly $5,000 in it. It stranded me three times in the last year. And I do not abuse my cars. I bought the Lincoln, thinking that it would better than the Cadillac I owned previously, which also fell apart at 75,000 miles. I just bought a new 2020 Journey Blacktop.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:47 PM, Dave Esk said:

Well, it does not matter who makes the car, there are bound to be a few lemons. I just sold a 2013 Lincoln MKS, which I bought new for $55,000. It had 86,000 miles. Between 75.000 and 85,000 miles, I put roughly $5,000 in it. It stranded me three times in the last year. And I do not abuse my cars. I bought the Lincoln, thinking that it would better than the Cadillac I owned previously, which also fell apart at 75,000 miles. I just bought a new 2020 Journey Blacktop.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:19 AM, larryl said:

I'm sure you paid way less for your new Journey than the Lincoln or Caddie so that means you have more to spend when it breaks lol

For $55k you could keep a couple of spare Journeys in the driveway... just in case.

• 1 month later...

The dudes right these cars are a heap for the times.I dont think some of you can face it because you threw 36k into a crossroads, myself 22,600 out the door(awd sxt v6 19 rims), good deal but i still think it;s a large wet cow patty. My wife ran her 2012 forester for 9 years, 1 new set of tires, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air cleaner, 3 sets of pads to the original rotors and calipers, only fail was 1 oxygen sensor.1 trip to the dealer for a seat belt recall, my dj has a list of recalls going down 1 hand and my hemi 2500 has a list down the other, and the journey went back 3 times with front end problems and awd issues that mopar never fixed and no one to this day can figure out, i drive a car that sounds like the front end is ready to fall out of it... , STILL, so is he bashing or facing reality of these turds?, frankly if i was a mopar engineer and i designed a pile that cant be fixed i would resign, go home and hang myself in the garage, my only hope is he didn't spread his seed before he went.