Dodge Journey wins Consumer Reports 2017 Award

silenze

Lowest-Rated Midsized SUV: Dodge Journey

http://www.consumerreports.org/new-cars/10-of-the-lowest-rated-cars-for-2017/

On paper, this midsized SUV may sound compelling, but in our tests we found that the Journey has a confining interior and lacks agility, and the V6 delivers the worst fuel economy in its class. Plus, it suffers from below-average reliability and poor performance in IIHS small-overlap frontal crash tests. Even though it rides well and has a relatively quiet cabin, families may be deterred by the snug third-row seat. The Journey is late in its model run, with discounts commonplace. But don’t be tempted. This low-rated model is a poor value anywhere—even at the airport rental lot

How did consumer reports recruit so many mopar haters into one place?  While the DJ is not perfect, neither is any other vehicle.  I really like mine.  Still runs like the day it came home from the dealer.   My mileage has been pretty darn good.  In New Mexico, speed limits are 75 mph on the highway, winds are often quite strong, the elevation is nearly 7000 ft, and there are plenty of hills; I still get 23-26 mpg. . .   That's even with roof cargo such as bike.  

Consumer reports really is unfair and unknowledgeable.

Peace.  

I'd have to say it's due to the fact DJ's havent really seen a full update in quite a while.  I think for the money, they're hard to beat quite frankly.  Most recently I had an Equinox v6 AWD LT2, and the Journey is leaps and bounds ahead of that in almost every area.  My wife and I are really happy with the Journey so far.  The v6 doesn't quite get as good of mileage intown as the Equinox, but on the highway, the Journey does better so it's a little of a trade off.  The Journey is far more exciting to drive (v6 form) than the Equinox.  The Journey has more room for passengers and with the 3 row option, that isn't even a choice in the Equinox.

I'm happy with my choice regardless what those consumer reports people say.

1 hour ago, redtomatoman said:

How did consumer reports recruit so many mopar haters into one place?  While the DJ is not perfect, neither is any other vehicle.  I really like mine.  Still runs like the day it came home from the dealer.   My mileage has been pretty darn good.  In New Mexico, speed limits are 75 mph on the highway, winds are often quite strong, the elevation is nearly 7000 ft, and there are plenty of hills; I still get 23-26 mpg. . .   That's even with roof cargo such as bike.  

Consumer reports really is unfair and unknowledgeable.

Peace.  

You hit the nail on the head. Consumer reports has never given a positive report on any Dodge product. Definitely biased.

Edited by rolly

FCA had a bad rep for a long time (earned, to an extent, in the 90s).  They've put out some VERY good vehicles in the last 10 years.  My '10 T&C (though it has it's issues, like a very poor designed power steering hose) has held up quite well for the 120,000 miles it has.  The engine still runs well (burns a little oil, but so do a lot of Chrysler 3.8L), the 62TE transaxle runs fine (I do need to replace the shifter, but that's due to an electrical wire failure that prevents electronic range select - PRND still works fine), and the seats are starting to show signs of heavy wear (but that's what 5+ years of car seats will do to cloth, no matter who makes it).

My Journey has some body repairs that are needed (the exterior window trim on both rear doors isn't right), but that's what warranties are for.  My radio works a lot better now that my phone has been updated to Marshmallow (my ringtone even plays over the stereo speakers!)  Other than some warped plastic, I have zero complains with the Journey.  It's easy to access everything for regular maintenance (2.4L), it's good on fuel, it's comfortable, and it hauls everything and everyone I need well enough.

Is it a cross-country vacation vehicle for a family of 5 (3 of whom are in carseats or boosters)? No, and neither is any other vehicle in it's 'class.'  That's not why I bought it - I have a van for that.  But as a daily driver for me and an auxiliary family vehicle?  Outstanding vehicle.

17 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

Total Bullocks! The DJ performs well, and exceptionally well for what it is, a sub 30k 3 row crossover. I for one think it still looks good, handsomely simple I call it :cool: 

@bfurth what plastic pieces have warped? Yours is a 2015 right?

The trim on the exterior of the door at the bottom of the window, specifically at the back.

• 1 month later...

I could care less what CR says. They've always hated most domestics, Chrysler products in particular. 72,000 miles later, our 2013 Journey remains completely reliable, even after major collision damage. We've only had to replace the radio under warranty due to a corrupted navigation map. The radio worked perfectly otherwise. The engine is strong and reliable, the transmission shifts normally, every feature works and the car has never failed to run any other way but completely normal. Fuel economy averages 22-24 MPG with our highway road trips always netting at least 28. 3.6 V6 w/FWD. The ride is quiet, controlled and comfortable, and the fit and finish have held up just fine. And while we're at it, my own daily driver is a 17 year old Chrysler 300M with 312,000 miles. I'm the original owner. The car has never seen  a tow truck, and every single feature right down the smallest light bulb still works. The staff at CR can call me anytime.

• 2 years later...

CR can kiss my ass.  They are so off the mark with so much of their testing, that they have come to represent the "go away from guys" when I am seeking information about products.  I refuse to pay them money to read their biased, incorrect, unreliable reviews.  The best source of information about the DJ is right here in front of us.

mechanical-idiot

I hate CR as much as the president does.  I really do.  They really really suck.  They truly do.  It's tremendous that you people realize that they are pushing fake news.  It really is.  They are such a bunch of losers.  They really are.  I heard that a lot of Mexicans are working there.  They should be working in the Chrysler plant in Amexico building Journeys.  They really should.

This forum will make the Journey's reputation great again.  It really will.  We have no secrets here on this forum.  We really don't, and we are going to prove it to the American people.  The Mexicans at CR can push their fake news, but they will have to push it over the wall.  They really will.

I hear that Putin drives a Journey.  Isn't that amazing?  It really is.  It's tremendous.  Nobody drives the Honda Pilot in Russia.  They really don't.  The Pilot is getting fat.  It really is.  It is such a fat loser.  I am not a Honda racist.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I just think they are losers.  They really are.

CR - It's really great, it's wonderful, it's amazing to drive the Journey.  It really is.

mechanical-idiot

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, mechanical-idiot said:

I hate CR as much as the president does.  I really do.  They really really suck.  They truly do.  It's tremendous that you people realize that they are pushing fake news.  It really is.  They are such a bunch of losers.  They really are. 

CR - It's really great, it's wonderful, it's amazing to drive the Journey.  It really is.

mechanical-idiot

Tell us how you really feel. :yahoo:

Edited by Summer Solstice

• 2 months later...

My wife and I just bought a 2017 Journey GT and we love it. CR seems to be biased towards Toyotas and Honda’s, and while those are quality vehicles, your gonna pay a premium for those. Even a two year old Toyota or Honda in the same class cost nearly as much as a new model. And while those are are reliable brands, they still break down and when they do, your gonna pay out the nose to fix it. 

As far as interior space is concerned, the Journey feels like a much larger vehicle. I’ll agree that the third row is tight, but Let’s be honest, how many grown adults are gonna be sitting back there? I’m sure that the import competitors don’t even have a third row. In the VW Tiguan, the third row is optional and only available on the upper trim levels. 

Finally, nothing beats that Pentastar v6! I first drove a 3.6 powered vehicle a couple years ago - a ‘17 Grand Cherokee - and man was I impressed. Sure, the Ford Ecoboost has more power, but those are turbocharged and are delicate as glass. 

My only real gripe is that the Journey only has the Uconnect 3 without navigation or CarPlay. Other than, it’s a great vehicle.