P06DD and NOT the Oil Filter Assembly Housing

Mudshack

So P06DD associated with an oil change and oil all over the place and leaking......I bought a whole new oil filter assembly housing complete with new sensors.  Install.  Delete the code and take it for a leisure drive.  P06DD comes back.  Mind you, the oil pressure is on my screen on the dash.  And it is running at the correct pressures expected.   So I don't think it could be an oil pump issue.....am I wrong? 

I did notice that the 3.6L engine in 2011 had a ( TSB # 18-018-11 ) which said to reprogram the PCM.  

And last spring my PCM was giving my transmission issues.  Upon looking at it, there was corrosion on the contacts of the PCM and on Power Distribution Center (PDC). See link to pictures

Do you think this could be the problem like it has been in the past?

My mechanic has talked to several Chrysler mechanics and they all point to replacing the oil pump.  Called the dealership, and it sounds like I am still under my 5/100 powertrain warranty and that is "should" be covered.  But rumor is that the oil pumps are backordered either 3-5 days up to 3 months.   SHHHEEESH!   I am scheduled to drive to Miami (over 2800mi round trip) leaving next Wednesday.  Now I am getting nervous.

I have heard of this code coming up with a wrong oil filter or inserting the correct oil filter into the engine backwards.   Simple things to check if you're not sure about those things.   The oil filter was changed for the 3.6 in 2013 or 2014, I think.  Similar but slightly different...  You could try a mopar filter if yours is another brand to see if that fixes your problem as well.   That's as much as I've got on this.  Good luck. 

Peace. 

2 hours ago, redtomatoman said:

I have heard of this code coming up with a wrong oil filter or inserting the correct oil filter into the engine backwards.   Simple things to check if you're not sure about those things.   The oil filter was changed for the 3.6 in 2013 or 2014, I think.  Similar but slightly different...  You could try a mopar filter if yours is another brand to see if that fixes your problem as well.   That's as much as I've got on this.  Good luck. 

Peace. 

that would be easy to check and or replace, the filter you should be using should have the 3 leg tripod on it. part # mo-349 mopar, actually that is the only filter iv ever used, i buy them from the local dealer and they are about the same price or cheaper then most aftermarket filter so i figure why try to save .70 cents or so on something you only do once or twice a year....

When we replaced the filter housing assembly the new part came with a mopar filter.  And it came with new sensors.

Dropped it off at the dealership last night.  They called at 730am and told me they were done.  Replaced the oil pump.  Hope this is the end of this story.

6 hours ago, Mudshack said:

Dealership replaced the oil pump under warranty.  Seems the issue went away.  But after driving it for a few days the oil level is low.  Will put a quart or two in.

i wouldn't put ANY oil in it.i would take it back to them to verify that the oil is low just in case something else pops up with your journey they worked on it it should be right from the start

do what you want, but as i said i would be at the dealership at 7:30 am tomorrow morning stating you just had warranty work done on the vehicle involving the oil pump  and you noticed it is now low on oil let them check it out tomorrow and then tell them you have to go on your trip and then do what they suggest and you will have it on paperwork what has happened. its that simple....

9 minutes ago, Mudshack said:

Already put 2 qts in.  Doesn’t look low now.  I will call them in the morning. 

i would say you must have a leak somewhere for it to be that low already or some engine damage, or just sloppy work from the mech, i always double check after having work done on what ever they have done and in this situation  i would have checked the oil level before i had left the dealership when picking it up. i have learned to do this after  many many years of mech working on my cars that dont always finish the job 100 %

• 1 month later...

Hey guys...new to the forum but I'm having the same P06dd problem (except I am 85K miles out of warranty.  2015 DJ SXT w/ 3.6 pentastar that I replaced the  sensoil pressure sensor, oil filter cap (cracked),. Oil pump and solenoid, oil,  Mopar oil filter.  Still getting the P06dd.   Pressures are low...41 at startup then dropping to 6 after warmup.    Any advise?

• 1 year later...

Hi all, always happy to post when I can to help anyone or brag on what I had upgraded in my DJ!   LOL!

I am posting here cause a received the dreaded P06DD code about a 1000 miles ago last month. After getting the 60000 mile service Everything seemed just fine. A month later My DJ Went into limp mode and the service engine  light Turned on. I got to work, turned off the car and called the dealership. They asked me to bring it in for a diagnostic. Easy day, I drove it there and the car drove normal. 
   Fast forward, dealer noticed the car was 3 qts low and they reset the engine light. After they asked for me to drive 1000 miles and bring it back to check the engine.  A 1000 miles later, I brought it back.  It was down about three qts again!
    Well, the tech had advised me it needed engine work due to this being very common for the 3.6 pentstar.  He mentioned the head gaskets, oil pump, and a few more items that needed to be replaced. All of the items except one were covered under the 5/100000 power train warranty.  I think it was the $300.00 pvc valve/pump.  I may be off on what it is but will update in two days when I get the DJ back.  
   I have had this DJ since 2015, put on 61000 miles on it, get all the required maintenance done at the dealership, and basically drive like grandma 99% of the time.  I was really shocked to have the P06DD code pop up.   It must be because I do not abuse it enough!  
  It is very reliable and I average anywhere between 18 and 21 mpg with regular driving.  I think it is easy to keep it high because I keep the fuel economy gauge on and drive at the highest economy level as possible. 

-

all i can think about this post is when they  noticed it was 3 qt low on oil and then gave it back to you and  said drive it 1000 miles and then you were 3 qts low again doesn't any one check their oil at least once a week any more ?,i still check mine at least once as week it is so easy to do.

Yeah monthly is reasonable on a car you know with no ongoing issues.

When I first get a vehicle it’s weekly until I trust vehicle.
For a car to all of a sudden drink 3 quarts of oil out of the blue with no visual signs like oil slick in drive away or blue smoke billowing from exhaust or running like death...very unusual IMO.

I think spark plugs would foul really rapidly if the oil is being consumed by engine in short time frame like a thousand miles.

Catalytic converters on vehicle will also be toast really quick.