Biggest annoyances with your Journey.

ckl

5. first winter the car ran fine in the snow. This winter the car did not want to move. Had to have my car push 2 different times to get into my driveway. The tires on it have poor tread...I would buy better tires but I do not intend to keep this car for too much longer.

Did you turned off the ESP ? ..if you are stuck in the snow you will never get out if you leave that on and the car will not move ..or feel like no power.

• 1 month later...

Did you turned off the ESP ? ..if you are stuck in the snow you will never get out if you leave that on and the car will not move ..or feel like no power.

I bought my 09 SXT FWD with 15580 miles on it. So far its been a dream! My friends love riding in it and i love driving it. Only issues:

1. The center mirror folding mechanism is broke so when you shut a door or hit a bump in the road it folds down. I repaired it myself.

2. Steering makes chirp noise. Resolved this by using a quick fix method thats actually on this forum.

3. Transmission shifts hard. Dont know if thats just the nature of the journey but i am currently looking into it.

4. Breaks and Roter. Couldnt deal with the constant warping which results in break squeaks. Replaced roters and breaks.

5. The difference in color from the body to the plastic rear bumper.

Thats all i can think of and honestly these problems have not gotten to me at all. Like i said i love driving the Journey and once you get the little bugs worked out its a great car.

No major problems yet but we will tackle those in time.

I have had my Journey for just about a year and my list of complaints is very long!

First, amount of brake dust is unbelievable. Plus I have had to replace the front brakes and rotors and the car had only 20k miles on it (most of it hightway miles).

The cup holders are useless which is a minor thing unless you spend a significant amount of time in your vehicle as I do.

I have had the car to the dealer two times for a squeaking noise in the front drivers side. Although they hear the noise, they tell me it is not the shock or anything in the suspension. The last time they said they lubed "something" and the noise stopped for less than a day. Now it needs to go back in for a third time and the dealership won't give me a rental.

The steering wheel almost completely blocks the gauges.

The sunglass holder started falling open every time I hit a pothole (although this was a recall and they did fix it).

I get no where near the mileage they quoted me.

I have an SXT FWD and it is TERRIBLE in the snow. I previously had other FWD vehicles that were fine in the snow (Intrepid and Aurora) but I actually got stuck this winter on a small patch of snow in a restaurant parking lot that was almost completely flat.

I have tried two times to trade this vehicle in for another Dodge but no one will work with me on a trade. The first time I tried to trade it was less than a month after I got it.

Our last three vehicles were Dodge but after the experience I have had with this Journey, I'm not certain our next one will be.

I have had my Journey for just about a year and my list of complaints is very long!

First, amount of brake dust is unbelievable. Plus I have had to replace the front brakes and rotors and the car had only 20k miles on it (most of it hightway miles).

The cup holders are useless which is a minor thing unless you spend a significant amount of time in your vehicle as I do.

I have had the car to the dealer two times for a squeaking noise in the front drivers side. Although they hear the noise, they tell me it is not the shock or anything in the suspension. The last time they said they lubed "something" and the noise stopped for less than a day. Now it needs to go back in for a third time and the dealership won't give me a rental.

The steering wheel almost completely blocks the gauges.

The sunglass holder started falling open every time I hit a pothole (although this was a recall and they did fix it).

I get no where near the mileage they quoted me.

I have an SXT FWD and it is TERRIBLE in the snow. I previously had other FWD vehicles that were fine in the snow (Intrepid and Aurora) but I actually got stuck this winter on a small patch of snow in a restaurant parking lot that was almost completely flat.

I have tried two times to trade this vehicle in for another Dodge but no one will work with me on a trade. The first time I tried to trade it was less than a month after I got it.

Our last three vehicles were Dodge but after the experience I have had with this Journey, I'm not certain our next one will be.

Sorry to hear that, i could possibly create a guide to fix your center mirror/sunglass holder? I fixed mine it was pretty easy..

As far as some of that other stuff goes its just preference. Dont you guys test drive these vehicles before purchase? I mean when i took mine around the block twice, everything was in balance and to my liking. You should be able to notice these personal imperfections before signing a contract haha.

At any rate, i am getting a feel for how the Journey drives and although some things are different it just is what it is. Ive owned Fords all my life and i love Ford. I have heard nasty things about Chrysler and i know that their breaks are horrid but you have to learn to bend a little when it comes to vehicle purchases or it will be hard to find a vehicle you really enjoy owning.

• 3 weeks later...

Just gotta be honest. Bought an 09' last month with 39k

and here is what I have noticed so far.

1. Driver's vanity light cover fell off.

2. Awful groan/ vibrating when going uphill. (Power steering?).

3. Sometimes vehicle will not start on first try.

4. Cannot get car into gear.(must turn off and re start).

5. Drivers side wind noise or slapping sound at highway speed.

6. Just had some weird rattling gremlin noise coming from the dash yesterday?

Are these all easy fixes? I love my dodge truck and love the Journey except for the Gremlins :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming up on one year anniversary for my 09 R/T. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the vehicle. I ordered it in march of 09 and during that time production stopped and restarted during reorganization. I finally took delivery in July 09. Pretty happy with the mygig, nav uconnect functionality. Vehicle has a good ride and gets decent mileage. Here are some nagging issues.

1. Leather drivers seat squeaks when you move in the seat. I determined that it is the seat back. Took it to the dealer twice but they says there is no fix.

2. On the passenger side when you fold down both the second and third row seats the headrest from third row hits second row seat. Once again dealer says there is no adjustment for this. The driver's side clearance is fine.

3. driver's power window quit working. Dealer replaced switch to fix problem.

4. There is a whistling noise from the ac/heat system. Sounds like some kind of vacuum leak. Once again dealer says that it is normal.

I have had my 2010 Journey R/T for 4 weeks now, and I'm still very pleased with it overall. We had a factory issue with a couple of paint spots, but that's going in for repairs on Monday, so hopefully that comes out fine. I'm not certain how everyone is sitting, or how their steering wheel is "completely blocking all the gauges". I'm 5'10" and I can see my spedometer and gas gauge with ease. The RPM gauge is slightly obscured, but only when it hits about 6K rpm, but I can tell by the engine noise that it's time to shift up or release the gas pedal. But my one issue seems to be that all the buttons seem to require a fair amount of force to activate. For example, if I want to enable the A/C a simply light touch to the button will not turn it on, I have to forcefully push in the button, and it's the same for the speed control on the vents, everything....just seems weird. I am a little disappointed in the mileage, but to be honest I had never really kept track on my previous vehicle (2006 Dodge Caravan SXT), so I'll see if it gets better or worse as time goes by. I'm out of the van and into something a little more current, but still keep many of the options a van afforded our family, so overall I'm still very pleased.

Life is a Journey

• 2 months later...

Oh I have been looking for others who have had to take their Journey in for the darn rotars constantly warping! Mine seem to do it about every 2000 miles. They blame it on my driving habits or road conditions. I bought mine in May08 and didn't use it as my primary car until about Sep08. I actually have a lemon law atty looking into it, but I need to find more owners with this expensive problem that the dealership will not keep fixing under the warranty even though I took it in before my warranty was up. It inly has a little over 11,000 miles on it because I ride my motorcycle half the week. It's been in 3 times since Mar09. I wonder if it's true that the brake pads aren't releasing all the way like one of the other members spoke of. So anyone else with this problem PLEASE contact me.

Apache

Haven't had that problem with my rotors but, have had the following problem and I have 47,000 miles on mine:

~alarm goes off when you unlock the doors with remote

~console around shifter gets hot

~valve stems are very cheap and break easy

~had to replace the KUMO tires at 16,000 miles, half of the tread was worn off, imagine that

~rear drivers side power window only goes up and down occasionally

~sometimes when i take off from a complete stop, the car hesitates for a moment and then thrusts forward

~if i shut the car off with the air on high in front and back and the radio on - it will not start back up - you have to turn everything off to get the car to start again

I agree though I cannot believe there haven't been more recalls on these issues and yours.

Good Luck

~console around shifter gets hot

happened ( noticed ) to me only one time in one year of ownership. It was at night on a long trip and it was very hot outside. I figured out that it was probably the incandescent light bulb inside the console ...but i could be wrong. If it's really the bulb producing the heat it could be easily replaced with a LED type bulb .. problem solved

• 6 months later...

My minor issues with the Dodge Journey (Some of which have been fixed on the 2011's!)

1. Cupholders - too low!

2. HVAC Controls and Radio Controls swap 'em! The radio should be above. This is vehicle design 101. (Fixed in '11)

3. Plastic chrome trim around the shifter - should have been attached much better from the factory.

4. Seat padding - even if thin if they used a higher quality foam it should help with the seat comfort, these seats feel of cheaper construction then those in my '11 DGC.

5. 2010 - Why did you get rid of the amber turn signals Dodge - on a positive note nice LEDs were added in 11.

In regards to the Coolzone Box, it just blows air from your HVAC system into the upper glove box, it heats if you have heat on, cools if you have ac on. There's a small little blue circle plastic bit you can turn to "sort of" stop heat from entering. I wish they kept the Coolzone box in the redesign, I think they removed it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2010 - RT-awd Pulling up to a stop while in D, with foot on the brake after about 1/2 second of stopped, the truck will jerk forward.(like tension has built up and then snaps) Doesnt happen all the time, but is fairly violent when it does happen. It is into the dealer for the 5th time today. Service manager finally has taken an interest in the unit and supposibly is taking it for a long drive. Also, the Pass side front wheel well liner vibrates like a bugger in a cross wind. You can grab it and the whole things moves as if very very loose. All the dealer did was confirm the fastners are in place. I told them to get off thier @$$ and glue the thing to the body. We'll see later how this went. _note_ this vehicle in the post has been replaced with a 2012

Edited by OddJob

Dealership finally saw the light and got the trans to do what I described. Tech said that when it did it he was scared he got rear-ended.... lol.... No crap I said. Chrysler said to replace valve body, same thing I told them was wrong in Sep2010. Oh well, I hope it solves the problem and other issues dont arise after a year of them ignoring the trans issue. 5 friggin times to the dealer. ......._note_ this vehicle in the post has been replaced with a 2012

Edited by OddJob

Something incredibly small - THe lip on the drivers side A piller where it attaches to the windshield isn't high enough... When washing your windshield, the wiper pushes the washer fluid right over top of the lip, and if your driver window is open, it will come inside.

I noticed this driving mine in the rain the first time. It can be very annoying to someone that drives with the window open just the slightest. You would think they would catch things like this in the wind tunnel testing or simulation. Hopefully the design team will correct it when/if the Journey gets a new body design. I plan on adding weathertech ventvisors soon but those will probably just redirect some but not all. The recirc setting for HVAC doesn't make the difference it should (my opinion). I'm not sure if having a cabin air filter makes that big a difference as this is the first vehicle i've owned with one. My have to remove it to check flow without it.

I noticed this driving mine in the rain the first time. It can be very annoying to someone that drives with the window open just the slightest. You would think they would catch things like this in the wind tunnel testing or simulation. Hopefully the design team will correct it when/if the Journey gets a new body design. I plan on adding weathertech ventvisors soon but those will probably just redirect some but not all. The recirc setting for HVAC doesn't make the difference it should (my opinion). I'm not sure if having a cabin air filter makes that big a difference as this is the first vehicle i've owned with one. My have to remove it to check flow without it.

i added the weathertech ventvisors on my 2011 and really like them but one word of warning is when you buy them they come 4 to a set and the back window set dont stay in real good they are held in with some stickey tape on the edges and they will fly out of the window when you roll the window down. the wife still wanted me to keep them on the car so i had to put some rubber cement on the top edge that goes into the window channle.

i added the weathertech ventvisors on my 2011 and really like them but one word of warning is when you buy them they come 4 to a set and the back window set dont stay in real good they are held in with some stickey tape on the edges and they will fly out of the window when you roll the window down. the wife still wanted me to keep them on the car so i had to put some rubber cement on the top edge that goes into the window channle.

Thank you for that info 2late4u about the weathertech visors. I've always used them and the fronts are great but the rears leave a bit to be desired. The last vehicle I had was an Avalanche and the rears actually had a snap in clip that held tension on the rear of the visor. This did seem a compromise but they staid in well. The only time I have the back windows open is when parked. The Journey does has an unusual cut to the top rear of the back door glass and I will kep this in mind..

• 11 months later...

Something incredibly small - THe lip on the drivers side A piller where it attaches to the windshield isn't high enough... When washing your windshield, the wiper pushes the washer fluid right over top of the lip, and if your driver window is open, it will come inside.

This my biggest issue as well. If it's raining hard, you can't have the window down even a little bit or it just pours in. I am writing a hand written letter to Chrysler regarding this. I am going to push for compensation of WeatherTech guards as it is a defect. Sometimes you have to have window down a bit to clear condensation. Very bad design - should be tapered.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the number up complaints has been greatly lessened during the last year or so. Maybe the '11s and '12s have really addressed a lot of the niggling quality issues?

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Yes. Hardly any complaints for me. My only real beef is the Gracenote album art file. I wish the system would just display the album art in my iPod but it doesn't, it looks to Gracenote to supply the album art. I hate Gracenote anyway, but I'd at least like an update. From what I hear no plans to update. Still waiting, still hoping for an update. Other than that, I have been very happy with my JC: engine, interior, exterior, even brakes and tires have been good so far (although there are those who have had problems).

Peace.

• 1 month later...

This my biggest issue as well. If it's raining hard, you can't have the window down even a little bit or it just pours in. I am writing a hand written letter to Chrysler regarding this. I am going to push for compensation of WeatherTech guards as it is a defect. Sometimes you have to have window down a bit to clear condensation. Very bad design - should be tapered.

I think you're being unrealistic with your expectation...this will happen with most cars without a window sill trim and the problem is easily solved by installing one. It doesn't come with it because not everybody likes it. eg I prefer to keep the windows at all times because its quieter and less air polution in my lungs.

I would imagine that any car with tapered window will look ugly.