Biggest annoyances with your Journey.

ckl

The only gripe I have is the passive entry system in regards to the rear doors having no power locks.....other than that I find that the vehicle is excellent value for the money and the ride beats all the other cuv's I test drove....I'm about to give it a good 5000 mile test drive.....and I'm hoping to break the 38 mpg (imp) barrier.....another gripe I thought I would have had and don;'t....is the snow traction with the stock wheels and tires....it is excellent...!!!!.....I'm sure the narrower tires with the weight of the vehicle is the key to the good traction I'm experiencing......

For my 09' RT:

1) iphone integration does not work (I have DVD Nav so it "uses" something that iphone needs)

2) When cold and remote started I want my heated seats on period.

3) Front pillars are way too wide for my taste, I almost hit someone the other day cause as he walked across the crosswalk the pedestrian was completely blocked by the pillar.

4) Cup holders too low and other small ergonomic changes that are now fixed

Everything else is pretty good!

The only gripe I have is the passive entry system in regards to the rear doors having no power locks.....other than that I find that the vehicle is excellent value for the money and the ride beats all the other cuv's I test drove....I'm about to give it a good 5000 mile test drive.....and I'm hoping to break the 38 mpg (imp) barrier.....another gripe I thought I would have had and don;'t....is the snow traction with the stock wheels and tires....it is excellent...!!!!.....I'm sure the narrower tires with the weight of the vehicle is the key to the good traction I'm experiencing......

The rear doors on the CVP don't have power locks?

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that I find it annoying with the keyless entry when you put your hand on the driver side handle only the driver door opens and on the passenger side all the doors open....why couldn't the have that feature on the driver side also??? Makes life alot easier when you want to open the trunk when your hands are full and you don't want to fumble for your key fob.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that I find it annoying with the keyless entry when you put your hand on the driver side handle only the driver door opens and on the passenger side all the doors open....why couldn't the have that feature on the driver side also??? Makes life alot easier when you want to open the trunk when your hands are full and you don't want to fumble for your key fob.

I'm generally the only driver of my JC so I'm not sure, but I think all doors open when I touch the handle on the driver's side. I believe there is a setting in the uconnect menu.

Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

This so far my biggest annoyance of all...

The rear passenger Door can lock open in 3 different stages, something like 30 degree (1st stage), 60 degree (2nd stage) and 90 Degree angle (3rd stage) I'm guessing don't know the exact angle.

anyway... having a 90 deg door is great IF if you have the room for it.

Your typical public car park, (in shopping mall etc) , you will never get to open the door that wide.

The 30 degree angle is useless unless you're anorexic

The 60 degree angle is usually too wide for a regular carpark for passenger to get in and out we often have to hold the door open between the 30 deg and 60 deg angle, and if you let go of the door.. it will likely bounce outward to the 60 def lock position, this could lead to the door banging into someone else's car... or even worse your own car in the garage.

Becuase of this the DJ rear passenger door so far dented my 2nd car twice... and I'm annoyed about that.

I wish the rear passenger 2nd lock position is the same angle of the driver's which is a bit less and just right for most scenarios. ... or better no locking position at all like some cars.

I hope Dodge read this one day and fix it in future models.

Merry Christmas.

If I want to open the hatch I use the release button on the hatch.

It unlocks/locks all doors from that location.

Hey Bgtsr,

Thanks for pointing out this feature. :) I took my youngest sledding today, opened the rear hatch door and saw the button to open and close all doors. I never noticed that as my wife drives this vehicle 98% of the time. For anyone else who is clueless on this feature the button is found under where the license plate lights are around where the D is in the D O D G E badge.

Now I'm a little P'd off the the salesman didn't mention this when showing the Enter n' Go.

• 1 month later...

The hatch door is too tall and heavy to close!! It's terrible for most women under 6 feet.

please offer a self open and closing (motorised) hatch door feature for new model, that would be most awesome and I will gladly pay the extra price. (don't forget to add it to the remote aswell)

Edited by bmanta

I wish I can remove the roof rails cleanly... its not used 99% of the time, carrying it around is a waste of petrol.

The bolt is a permanently welded on to the roof of the car... so I don't want to spend money remove it permanently by cutting the bolts of and repaint the roof as it is expensive to do and a waste of feature that will make it more difficult to resell the car later.

I hope Dodge can find a better way to attach and detach these roof rails.

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to have "fixed" most of the annoyances/problems that are in this thread in the 2013's...at least in the R/T. The heat for the driver's seat and steering wheel are programmable to come on with remote start when the ambient temperature is below a threshold (don't remember what it is 40 degrees?), though my wife wishes there was a setting to have the passenger side to come on also (she's jealous; if I use remote start to warm the car when we're going somewhere, my seat is warm while hers is cold ). The cup holders are fine, at least for us. No issues with the brakes; useage, longevity (though the car is still really new) or brake dust and it has the larger disc and caliper in the front. Body is tight, no rattles. Fuel mileage has been great, especially after a Hemi Jeep Commander; we're averaging 20 mpg in mixed driving and we got 28 mpg on the highway recently going down to MD and that's with the 3.6 Pentastar with the 6 speed auto and AWD. All in all, we're pleased with the car, both mechanically and ergonomically. The power seat and the tilt/telescoping steering wheel allow both of us a comfortable driving position and the R/T's suspension, while taught and flat cornering is very supple when encountering potholes and pavement seams. The AWD has proven to be almost as good as the full-time 4WD of the Jeep Commander the Journey replaced.

I do, however, have a few "peeves" with the car.

1) DRLs - why do they make it so difficult to get them activated? We got them activated, but, sheesh, what a lot of trouble when the software and hardware is already installed...

2) Why, when you order a car with the roof rail and trailer tow package "options", do you then have to order, seperately, and at additional cost, the cross bars for the roof rails and the trailer hitch for the "trailer tow package"? If I order those options, it is apparent that I want to put things on the roof and tow something or I wouldn't have ordered and paid for the ability. Come on Dodge; if you have to charge more, then charge more, but, if you are going to offer an option, make it a complete option and install the pieces (what's with the trailer 4 pin connector in a bag tossed in the back?)

3) This "peeve" applies to all the newer cars; why can't I get "Service Manuals" for these vehicles? They are obviously available, at least electronically, as the dealerships have to have access to that information; make the CD or DVD's available to the public. You want to charge me a couple of hundred dollars for the information? So be it, but, at least give me the option of buying them if I want to... If something comes loose or starts to rattle, I can tighten it or re-assemble it, but, it helps to know how it is supposed to go together and what, if any, torque values are necessary. You can't get that out of the owner's manual.

4) The only "ergonomic" problem I've encountered thus far is getting in and out of the car; why are the front seat grab handles located in the roof towards the seat back? Useless for getting in and out. The grab handles for the car should be on the front A pillars where they could provide for some leverage and torque to get out - that's a long leg reach to the ground for us shorter folks (I'm 5' 5" and the wife is 5' even). Come spring, I'm going to see if I can find a suitable anchoring point on the A pillars to mount my own.

That's it. Still new, but, the only problem, thus far is the compas isn't displaying in the EVIC and I'll take it up to the dealer next week to let them investigate as to why... It is apparent from this thread that MOPAR had some growing problems with the early Journeys, that's a shame, but, at least to my experience, they made the appropriate changes and I'm very satisfied with our R/T's quality, features and price.

Edited by webslave

3) This "peeve" applies to all the newer cars; why can't I get "Service Manuals" for these vehicles? They are obviously available, at least electronically, as the dealerships have to have access to that information; make the CD or DVD's available to the public. You want to charge me a couple of hundred dollars for the information? So be it, but, at least give me the option of buying them if I want to... If something comes loose or starts to rattle, I can tighten it or re-assemble it, but, it helps to know how it is supposed to go together and what, if any, torque values are necessary. You can't get that out of the owner's manual.

You definitely nailed it on this one!

I have only one major annoyance and one minor annoyance more a personal preference.

1. I am still getting a droning noise under mild acceleration, between 60 and 70kmph (37 and 43 mph). Apparently there is no fix yet.

2.I think this is the only CUV with the shifter behind the cupholders. I would like to see a re-design (personal preference), as I would prefer that the shiftergo where the cup holders are. The cup holders where the shifter is. I use the manual shift quite a bit, mainly on hills, and find it annoying that my forearm rests on the armrest. Just doesn't seem natural that my elbows are actually 'behind my body' when shifting.

Having stated the above, I still love my Journey. Lets face it no vehicle is perfect.

I think that the Dodge Journey is a great overall vehicle.

Where it misses is with the simpler things like:

The steering wheel centre is off centre and actually to the left of centre on the EVIC.

Squeak in the armrest. Fixed under warranty

Squeak in the driver side B post. Fixed under warranty

Battery location.

Oil filter access or cover.

Brakes

But it is great to drive and easy to love.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone explain to me how to close the in-floor storage bins. It looks incredibly simple, but my husband and I can't get them closed!

Mine are quite simple to close,I would check and make someone has not had

the removable part out and put them in backwards-mine won't close if I do that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our 2012 Journey r/t is just over a year old and has had brake problems from day 1.

We kept complaining, and finally had to switch dealers for service..

The other location has better customer service, but the problems persist

In less then 16 months we've had 4 brake jobs, the AWD stopped working, and we just went in for an oil change and ended up with a complete engine rebuild...

The brake issues continue..

We recently had the car detailed, and within a week the brake dust on the front tires was unreal.. Plus they sound like an old creaky clunker...

My best guess is that the pad/rotor combo is simply too light duty for the size/weight of the vehicle... A mechanic said (true or not) that the OEM Dodge brakes are not the best quality... In either case, we're worried that post warrant, we'll stuck with a possible lemon, and the problems will continue...

I keep saying that it'd be infinitely cheaper for them to put on higher end pads and rotors but the mechanic said they have to stick with the stock Chrysler parts...

We've also had other problems, like squeaky doors, needing the satellite radio completely replaced and more...

At 42, this is not our first vehicle, and not our first dodge, but the most problems we've ever had with a vehicle, new or used...

Anyway . We're a little frustrated and wondering if anyone else has had similar issues....

Edited by Rob&TrenaCrewe