Biggest annoyances with your Journey.

ckl

V6 or I4? Mine usually runs 180 F consistently- V6. When well below 0 F, I turn the controls up to HI which is the next level beyond 86 F. If its on AUTO, I leave it there until it gets warm enough and then turn the fan down manually and then later switch the setting manually to vent/floor. The AUTO setting always puts it on DEF/FLOOR and I done't like the air hitting me in the face off the windshield after awhile. It has the 8.4N and do not like having to press buttons on the screen to make changes. Would rather have knobs or slides- too distracting to make changes while driving because you can not operate the 8.4N by feel requiring taking ones eyes off the road. Dumb.

I would set everything as high a temperature possible on your heater and also watch the engine temp gauge. If temp fluctuates between driving and while sitting still, might be an air bubble in the system. Usually not these days. Only other time I've had problems with heat was a cold weather leak from teh lower radiator hose clamp on our Dodge van resulting in low coolant level. It was winter so engine temp was fine and vehicle is parked in a garage but never noticed anything since the leak drained under the vehicle to the floor drain. Melting ice/snow when parked also camouflaged the situation from being obvious. Didn't do it while engine was warm, just after sitting all night. So there may be some items to check even if the vehicle is fairly new. Extremely cold weather takes it toll on any vehicle.

With that said the only two things I have come to dislike about my R/T is the heater controls and the stupid tranny's inability to downshift properly when climbing hills from 6 to 5-1. No sense in it dropping two "gears" when only one is required. Especially with 286 horsepower. Otherwise it hauls as* and have gotten as high 30 mpg on trips with 28.3 being trip average running 60-70 mph. 20-23 everyday country driving cold weather-around 24 summer.

Hope this helps.

V6 or I4? Mine usually runs 180 F consistently- V6. When well below 0 F, I turn the controls up to HI which is the next level beyond 86 F. If its on AUTO, I leave it there until it gets warm enough and then turn the fan down manually and then later switch the setting manually to vent/floor. The AUTO setting always puts it on DEF/FLOOR and I done't like the air hitting me in the face off the windshield after awhile. It has the 8.4N and do not like having to press buttons on the screen to make changes. Would rather have knobs or slides- too distracting to make changes while driving because you can not operate the 8.4N by feel requiring taking ones eyes off the road. Dumb.

I would set everything as high a temperature possible on your heater and also watch the engine temp gauge. If temp fluctuates between driving and while sitting still, might be an air bubble in the system. Usually not these days. Only other time I've had problems with heat was a cold weather leak from teh lower radiator hose clamp on our Dodge van resulting in low coolant level. It was winter so engine temp was fine and vehicle is parked in a garage but never noticed anything since the leak drained under the vehicle to the floor drain. Melting ice/snow when parked also camouflaged the situation from being obvious. Didn't do it while engine was warm, just after sitting all night. So there may be some items to check even if the vehicle is fairly new. Extremely cold weather takes it toll on any vehicle.

With that said the only two things I have come to dislike about my R/T is the heater controls and the stupid tranny's inability to downshift properly when climbing hills from 6 to 5-1. No sense in it dropping two "gears" when only one is required. Especially with 286 horsepower. Otherwise it hauls as* and have gotten as high 30 mpg on trips with 28.3 being trip average running 60-70 mph. 20-23 everyday country driving cold weather-around 24 summer.

Hope this helps.

Wow that is excellent fuel economy for the V6. You should pass your secret on to the others that are continually posting about poor fuel mileage!

Very nice.

Edited by Journey41

Thanks for the compliment but not making anything up regarding the economy. Live in the country but heard where city driving kills mpg. These are heavy vehicles- several hundred pounds than the new Corvettes and Mustangs. I don't drive 80 on the freeways. Theres been a couple of times cruising 60-65 mph on some fairly flat freeways that it might even average 34-35 put thats probably not too realistic but a probability. Seems it runs most efficiently at 60-65. In the country, better mileage can be obtained by running it in 5th when travelling 45-55. Lugging in 6th is a no-no when it comes to mpg.

My R/T had a front axle seal leak replaced under warranty which may have also been the result of a deer getting in the way. That's the only issue except for a couple of new tires and a front end alignment the first 30k mi. Otherwise a solid and comfortable vehicle. Always feel for those that have problems with theirs. The other problem is there are too many electronics that count on the next performing perfectly that have to work with another system etc etc. What we get for cleaner air, a few more miles per gallon and various convenience/comfort/safety features we pay for when it comes to non-warranty repairs.

No climate control issues here. This is our first winter with the Journey and it's been damned cold. We leave the climate control on Auto, sync all three zones to 70-72 degress and let it do its thing. We're comfortable and there's no fog on the windows. Add the heated seats and steering wheel and this car has helped deal with a most miserable winter.

Edited by Journeyman425

No climate control issues here. This is our first winter with the Journey and it's been damned cold. We leave the climate control on Auto, sync all three zones to 70-72 degress and let it do its thing. We're comfortable and there's no fog on the windows. Add the heated seats and steering wheel and this car has helped deal with a most miserable winter.

I would LOVE it if I could set it at 70-72, thats what I used to do in my Pacifica and I was cozy as a clam. But my car in particular doesn't hold the temp.

I don't have a 7 passenger, so I only have a front heating system. And it's manual, with no auto temp. There are only 4 choices for air-flow

Defrost

Defrost/heat

Heat

Panel Vents

You have to keep it on defrost - with temp near max, and a fan setting of 5, in order to keep the windshield and front side windows clear when the temps are 10F or lower. If I put the fan back to 4, the front side windows will begin to fog at the edges.

And there is NO keeping the rear seat side windows clear - those just ice up.

I could put the fan on 6 or 7 on Defrost/heat and the front side windows will quickly fog/freeze up. I have to keep it on defrost - and it's annoyingly noisy with the fan on setting 5 or higher.

But because there's no heat to the floor, your feet will get cold if you're wearing shoes or sneaks.

I'm wondering if I'm getting the flow thru ventilation I should when the vehicle is moving? Where is the air-intake? If I put the climate system on panel, with the fan off at highway speed, there's a barely perceptible air movement thru the vents. In vehicles i've owned before, it seems like the flow thru is stronger.

Edited by Jay Sixspeedrt

• 2 weeks later...

I only have one concern with my Journey it's only 4 weeks old.
This passed Wed. we had a nice little storm and the roads were aweful the Journey actually did better then most cars on the road with its factory tires. But my problem is when I was coming up to a set of lights I hit some ice and the ABS felt like it was having a hay day. I've never had a vehicle with working ABS before but the whole car shook violently and pulled to the left I'm sure this can't be normal.

Other then that I love my new Journey. I wish I would got the SXT to get the 3.6 v6 but ill deal with the 2.4 4l

No more 4l for me :p

Edited by ACMMFF

Abs experience the first time can be scary.

Pulling one way or the other is not the norm , on a uniform patch of

ice it should be straight as an arrow providing you have the steering

wheel in neutral direction.

The idea is that with the brakes lock full on you can steer in the

direction desired while ABS essentially pumps the brakes.

It is normal for the car to feel like it's going to shake itself to pieces.

Abs experience the first time can be scary.

Pulling one way or the other is not the norm , on a uniform patch of

ice it should be straight as an arrow providing you have the steering

wheel in neutral direction.

The idea is that with the brakes lock full on you can steer in the

direction desired while ABS essentially pumps the brakes.

It is normal for the car to feel like it's going to shake itself to pieces.

lol okay thanks bigtsr, it was alittle scary at first

and im not too sure if i was maybe on a little slop so thats why it wanted to go left, ill keep on an eye on it

Thanks again :)

• 1 month later...

The only thing that has bugged me a little about the Journey is the seemingly long step out when exiting. The door threshold seems very wide. I can see getting dirty pants very easily during the salty winter months here in MI.