2014 Dodge Journey Daytime Running Lights

Do you guys know if the light switch needs to be in the "Auto" position for the DRLs to work? JM425 added the sales code for me and I had the dealer do a reconfiguration. With the light switch in the off position, the DRLs don't come on. When the switch is set to auto, the lights come on when it's daylight outside, but I cant really see a visual difference between it and the normal headlights being on as far as brightness. Also, if they are supposed to be running at a lower voltage than normal then why does the Uconnect control (8.4 screen) get dim when they come on?

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, the stupid dealer didn't do a reconfiguration because the mechanic said they were already turned on in the UConnect options. I even brought them instructions on what needed to be done. All the mechanic did was turn the switch to "Auto" and saw that the light came on, which he assumed they should not. Apparently inside the shop is just dark enough to make them come on. Back we go again!

Edited by Lvcoyote

I printed out the page from the forum where it stated that the sales code had been added again. I took the page to my Dealer. SM confirmed it, and added it for me. No charge, and they even washed my car!

Now that I have DRLs, I'm starting to pick out DJs with or without DRLs. The Black Crossroad that I have seen twice now does not have them. I have seen DJs that use the high beam like mine does, but I have also seen a couple where the orange turn signals were the DRLs. When was that change made?

Nah - every vehicle in Canada has DRLs and the way Dodge sets them up does not lead to any failure - first of all they run the high beams at half intensity - since you rarely use high beams at night, running them in the daytime at 50% will let them last almost forever.

And because of the way they work, they make your turn signals more conspicuous - the headlight on the side that your signal switches off extinguishes, making the signal stand out - AND they are only on when the vehicle is in gear.

Beyond all this, in the US they are rare enough that that DO make things even more obvious.

Besides, a couple of high beam bulbs will set you back all of $20 - how much did your vehicle cost?

Nah - every vehicle in Canada has DRLs and the way Dodge sets them up does not lead to any failure - first of all they run the high beams at half intensity - since you rarely use high beams at night, running them in the daytime at 50% will let them last almost forever.

And because of the way they work, they make your turn signals more conspicuous - the headlight on the side that your signal switches off extinguishes, making the signal stand out - AND they are only on when the vehicle is in gear.

Beyond all this, in the US they are rare enough that that DO make things even more obvious.

Besides, a couple of high beam bulbs will set you back all of $20 - how much did your vehicle cost?

OK. I'll start running my DRLs all the time. They do make other vehicles more visible certainly. Thanks.

Peace.

well took my journey in for the oil change and had printed out a copy of how jm425 said for the dealer to flash the car, and later on the service manager comes up and says sorry we cant get the drl to work and then even went on to say the mechanic looked at my settings in my car and said that there wasn't even a selection for the drls listed.WTF i said yes there is and that they are turned on because i had checked that this morning before i brought it in,and then he continues to say they is nothing listed in the settings to turn the drls on or off, so i turn to my sales person that i was talking to and then turned back to the manager and said i would bet him the cost of what a 2015 crossroad would be on that statement as i KNOW that they are turned on and they are listed in the settings in the journey. well he backed off that statement and i went with him back to the service dept and about that time he wanted to read what i had printed off from the blog on what he had to do to turn them on and about that time a different mechanic walks up and says to him give me his paperwork and let me do the reflash i know what to do.. about 10 min later i am talking to the salesman again and here comes the service manager again and says your car is fixed and i asked do the drls work and he says yes and turns around and leaves without saying one word then the salesman starts apologizing for the way the service manger had just talked to me , i said oh well its the dealership that will lose customers with someone acting like that. as i have been buying cars from the same sales person for at least 15 years... well when they send me the letter asking me how i was treated they will get a bad review for this last service call. BUT a big thank you to journeyman425 for all his help on this issue. thanks again jm425 P.S. this dodge dealership has always had the best service department for as long as i can remember but about 2yrs ago they moved to a new and bigger location and the original service manger left for what ever the reason and this new one is starting to ruin their reputation it is a shame ........

Edited by 2late4u

well took my journey in for the oil change and had printed out a copy of how jm425 said for the dealer to flash the car, and later on the service manager comes up and says sorry we cant get the drl to work and then even went on to say the mechanic looked at my settings in my car and said that there wasn't even a selection for the drls listed.WTF i said yes there is and that they are turned on because i had checked that this morning before i brought it in,and then he continues to say they is nothing listed in the settings to turn the drls on or off, so i turn to my sales person that i was talking to and then turned back to the manager and said i would bet him the cost of what a 2015 crossroad would be on that statement as i KNOW that they are turned on and they are listed in the settings in the journey. well he backed off that statement and i went with him back to the service dept and about that time he wanted to read what i had printed off from the blog on what he had to do to turn them on and about that time a different mechanic walks up and says to him give me his paperwork and let me do the reflash i know what to do.. about 10 min later i am talking to the salesman again and here comes the service manager again and says your car is fixed and i asked do the drls work and he says yes and turns around and leaves without saying one word then the salesman starts apologizing for the way the service manger had just talked to me , i said oh well its the dealership that will lose customers with someone acting like that. as i have been buying cars from the same sales person for at least 15 years... well when they send me the letter asking me how i was treated they will get a bad review for this last service call. BUT a big thank you to journeyman425 for all his help on this issue. thanks again jm425 P.S. this dodge dealership has always had the best service department for as long as i can remember but about 2yrs ago they moved to a new and bigger location and the original service manger left for what ever the reason and this new one is starting to ruin their reputation it is a shame ........

It really is a shame that you had to be treated this way. Cars and technology are evolving at breakneck speed these days and to keep up with it all is a dizzying spectre. This, coupled with the wealth of information available to us all on the Internet sometimes makes the customer more savvy than the repair facility in certain respects. Service personnel need to be open minded about these facts and listen to their customers rather than take the position that they know everything and the customer knows nothing. It is a learning experience for both parties. We as dealers have access to some proprietary information regarding the products that is not readily available to the general public. That information should be utilized to verify customer's concerns rather than to refute them, and if necessary, to dispel myths that often crop up in many of these forums so that problems can be readily resolved. There's no room for egos in this business. Hopefully you will find someone at your dealership who will empathize rather than chastise.

I don't understand why there is an option to turn on DRLs for my 2011, but they won't activate. I know this has been covered before, but it seems like laziness on dodges part to keep the setting in the menu for cars not equipped for it.

Not laziness, efficiency. These are bulk vehicles, not one-off customs. They are almost entirely the same in the wiring and software in order to make assembly cost effective. I see it as a convenience, rather than an inconvenience, that we can change things by going to the dealer and having them flash the computer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Journeyman425,

hi I am new to this forum I just researching on how to activate or enable my drls in my DJ sxt 2015 it has an option to enable or disable in the settings menu but it wa already checked but i dont think drl is not working. how do i know if i have drls. all i have read is to give you the last 8 digit of the vin right then you can enalbe them. Is that the way it works? please help me just want to have drls on. my last vin # is ft597188.

Thanks man!!!

I added the sales code for you. Return the car to your dealer for a reconfiguration and they will work when enabled on your menu screen. Remember, the car has to be in gear before the DRL turn on. When you shift into Park they go off regardless of the menu setting.

• 2 weeks later...

will do, ill update after reconfiguration, Thanks Journeyman425

Journeyman425,

I just came from my dealer and tell them that I need a vehicle reconfiguration then I ask if there's a charge for that then they tell me its $250... Its just wt$. Is the price vary from some dealers, Im currently living here in brooklyn. I just said to myself, ill buy some led drls and plan a good place to put them on. Thanks anyway Journeyman425!!

That's just wrong. A minimal fee is ok, but 250? Dealers in our area really suck. mgdj06 please share if you find an honest and reputable dealer in our area that is easy to work with. I have been tempted to activate the DRL on my DJ but I keep talking myself out of it mainly because I want to minimize my interaction with the dealer as much as possible.

i would just wait a while and when you take a trip to another town or state go by the local dealership and have them do it.it dosent take but about 5 minutes if the tech knows what he is doing shouldnt cost you no more than 30-50 $$ at the most my dealer did it for free since i bought the car from them of course their was some problems finding a tech that knew how to do it....