2013 R/T to receive new high performance suspension

EBK

The 2013 R/T reportedly will receive a new "high performance" suspension. Now THAT is something I would be interested in. The shocks and springs on my R/T are not quite firm enough for me, and there is a bit more roll and sway in cornering than I'd like. I realize the R/T is not a sports car, but I crave a more European feel to the handling, even if the Journey is just a people-mover! I wonder if the new suspension will be available as a retrofit for earlier Journeys. See here:

http://www.allpar.co.../dodge-ram.html

Edited by EBK

• 1 month later...

I am very interested in finding out more about this. Per the spec sheets I have seen the 2012 SXT has a Standard suspension while the Crew and R/T are Touring.. The 2013 R/T will get a Sport suspension. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2012 R/T. wonder if its worth waiting for a 2013. The 2013's also have a sticker $1000 less.

• Official Dodge Support

I am very interested in finding out more about this. Per the spec sheets I have seen the 2012 SXT has a Standard suspension while the Crew and R/T are Touring.. The 2013 R/T will get a Sport suspension. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2012 R/T. wonder if its worth waiting for a 2013. The 2013's also have a sticker $1000 less.

Lg,

The 2013 R/T's come standard with a high performance suspension. The FWD has a sales code of SDX and the AWD has a sales code of SDJ which signifies a high performance suspension. I do not have any more specific info on this at this time but will post up when any more info becomes available regarding this. I do not show it as an option at this time with any other trim package.

What is different?

I dont have the knowledge to be technical but I in general the standard suspenstion would have more body roll in turns, would absorb more on a bumpy road due to a more forgiving and less harsh springs / shocks / struts. The touring should have less body roll and harsher on bump roads due to harsher / less absorbant shocks / struts. In short the touring is just a stiffer and more sport tuned suspension.

I have been looking at window stickers and I have noticed that the 2012 FWD R/T has a Touring Suspension While the AWD R/T's have a Performance suspenstion. Can anyone speak to the differences and why the AWD has a more sport tuned suspension.. Is it to carry the extra weight etc?

Edited by lg68jcu

I have been looking at window stickers and I have noticed that the 2012 FWD R/T has a Touring Suspension While the AWD R/T's have a Performance suspenstion. Can anyone speak to the differences and why the AWD has a more sport tuned suspension.. Is it to carry the extra weight etc?

I remember reading somewhere (and I'll see if I can track it down) that the AWD system directs power to different wheels as needed during acceleration and certain other driving maneuvers to increase performance and handling so I think that this would partially explain the FWD/AWD suspension differences.

Just the fundamental difference between FWD and AWD would require some suspention tweeks that the marketing department probably got ahold of and changed 'stiffer' or 'harsher' suspension to "performance" suspension.

Edited by CCCacher

• 1 month later...

I haven't driven any of the 2012 or older R/T's but the suspension in the 2013 that i bought my wife was one of things that really attracted me to these vehicles. I drive a Civic Si 4dr and the handling is honestly comparable, just that Journey is larger and heavier (obviously LOL). Even with stock tires, it 'sticks' rather well in the corners. just my .02 :)

-Colbey

I remember reading somewhere (and I'll see if I can track it down) that the AWD system directs power to different wheels as needed during acceleration and certain other driving maneuvers to increase performance and handling so I think that this would partially explain the FWD/AWD suspension differences.

CCCacher, I came across this review when I was doing my research on the AWD system on the Journey. I have to say this article certainly played apart in my final decision. Could this be the info you were thinking of.

The part of how the AWD system works is near the end of the review.

http://www.autospectator.com/cars/models/2012-dodge-journey-avp-se-sxt-crew-rt-review-pictures-features-specs

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I just look this topic and i'm a little bit sad because in the moment i have the option for buy the RT AWD 2012 or the 2013, but like i want the car faster i decide for the 2012.

I note that the dj rt awd 2012 is a little bit jumping in the shocks, thing that i really dont like very much.!! Maybe is possible later add the 2013 R/T AWD suspension??

And other question:

- Anybody know what is the diference between the 2012 R/T AWD performance suspension vs 2013 R/T AWD high performance suspension??

Thanks for your time, i dont want bother anyone. ;)

Edited by c1159046

• 2 months later...

Hi all - new to the forum today and maybe too late to answer questions, but here goes. 2013 Crew FWD is equipped with Touring suspension and Performance steering. AWD Crew has Performance suspension. R/T has High Performance suspension in either FWD or AWD trim. I work for a dealer and have not been able to find any technical descriptives on the differences between these levels. I have to assume that spring and shock rates increase progressively with each upgrade. I have a FWD Crew on order for myself which is due in to my store any day now. I myself did not realize that the AWD option added Performance suspension to the Crew. I might have been inclined to take AWD had I known prior. We don't sell a lot of Journeys ( small store) and I don't get to drive them too often but when I have I always thought they handled well. I'm very anxious to spend some time behind the wheel of our new one. I hope it does not ride too softy. I'll post a review after some wheel time.

The quiet ride is what first attracted me to the DJ.

Hiway speeds you can actually carry on normal conversations

and bumps in the road are just dull thumps at best.

Many people who have driven with me in the city ask if

the DJ has always ridden this quiet and smooth.

I once carried 12 large bags of Scotts topsoil in the

rear(512 liters) at 65 lbs each and the DJ was barely

an inch lower than stock height.

I looked at my build sheet to see if it denoted anything about the "High Performance Suspension" as to parts. Unfortunately, it is just a build code, SDJS, and doesn't provide a breakdown of the components. I do have, in the "Optional Equipment" category, special codes for the springs at all four corners, but, I believe that they are a result of the 7 passenger configuration and are added to beef up the gross vehicle weight capacity to make up for the additional weight of the third row hardware.

From test drives, prior to our ordering our AWD R/T, the only noticeable difference between the "Performance" and "High Performance", to me, was the flatness of cornering. Ride comfort and spring rates seemed to be, subjectively, the same, however, the "High Performance" package cornered noticeably flatter. That would indicate to me that the primary difference would lie in the roll bars...beefier roll bars, without changing anything else, would better control body roll while leaving the "ride" quality virtually unchanged, which is the impression I got, seat of pants, in driving each; Touring (softer springs) vs. Performance (stiffer springs) vs. High Performance (same stiffer springs, but, beefier sway/roll bars). That was my "seat of the pants" impression. I must admit that I've only owned three cars that cornered as flat; a '66 Chevelle that I modified for racing (gone), a '69 Austin Healey (gone) and my '89 Turbo Le Baron Limited convertible (still have). For a "people mover", it has the suspension, and with the 3.6 VVT engine, the guts, to "boogie" and on the twisty roads going to town (I live in the boonies), that suspension is a pure joy to drive, for its weight, it really sticks in the corners with no roll or the feel that the inside is going to lift out and give me under-steer.

I'm surprised at the lack of detail on behalf of Dodge. When I ordered my 2000 300M new from the factory, I ordered it with sales code AWT "Performance Handling Group". The brochure and the sales catalog (still used a book back then!) listed firmer spring and shock rates, higher effort power steering gear, high friction brake pads, stiffer front brake calipers, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 V-rated tires and the removal of the speed governor in the PCM (stock 300M's were equipped with Goodyear Eagle LS tires which were T rated so the PCM limited top speed to 118 MPH) Anyway, the equipment list was detailed and comprehensive. I own two 300M's and my other one, a '99 has the stock Touring suspension and the difference in handling is very pronounced. The Journeys have four different suspension setups (SE and AVP use a "normal duty" suspension, SXT FWD same, Crew upgrades to Touring, SXT and Crew AWD use Performance, R/T uses High Performance). But there are no descriptives in the brochures or on DealerConnect (I work for a dealer) which detail the changes between levels. I'm going to try and get some info out of the guys at TechConnect (technical support) but they don't always know either. If I come up with anything I'll post it.

My dealership has an AWD SXT on order for stock. That will have Performance Suspension, so it will be a good comparison for me. I'll take it down the road once it comes in and see what the differences are then. This car is still a few weeks away yet - it has not been built but is scheduled. Hell, I don't even have mine yet - any day now...

If this is of any interest to anyone....I have a 2009 SXT AWD 7 passenger and the suspension is listed on the build sheet as "SDES Performance suspension" and under the options installed sheet it has "SBPP Performance steering"
The vehicle has 19" wheels riding on Michelin 235/55/19 tires (approved upgrade).

2009 SXT AWD

Edited by ghostone

• 5 years later...

I actually have a 2015 Journey R/T (2wd)  WITH the performance suspension package. Ride is great, really can chuck it into a turn and it's very predictable. I have actually pushed mine to the limits and I'm pretty surprised, and satisfied.

Being a former CJDR guy I can confirm that the Journey perfomance suspension package DOES INCLUDE: upgraded sway bars front and rear,  upgraded coil springs And upgraded struts. 

I'm thoroughly pleased with mine, and the long distance comfort I'm happy to report is still excellent. I've swapped to a cold air intake (Ebay type) kicked the cheapo filter, dropped in a big old k&n, kept the stock under hood scoop to supply fresh cold air to it, and kicked the stock air box of course. 

Swapped headlights and fog lights to led, and I'll be doing the custom magnaflow exhaust in a day or two. Cars just awesome. I think I detect a difference in the electric powering settings at speed as well. Feels much firmer than a lot of the others I've driven over the years. 

20190401_023635.jpg

• 1 year later...

If you want better cornering, an inexpensive upgrade would be polyurethane sway bar bushings. I changed all sway bar related bushings to Moog. The biggest bonus was changing the front sway bar bushings. It was also the hardest. You may need a metal shop to weld on steel in order to modify the Moog bracket to match the OEM bracket footprint. I did and it cost about $20 to do so.

The rear bushings and other sway link bushings didn't seem to change handling much but the front sway bar bushings made a huge difference. The OEM bushings are rubber and much thicker so they do soften road impacts more and I'm not sure if there is more road noise yet, if so, it's minimal. Other than that, it's all gravy to switch over. Less vibration, a solid feel, more athletic cornering and good road feel. 

The Journey has it's issues but it's inexpensive to purchase so there is room for upgrades. Add a few of those upgrades and you have an even nicer ride. Add a pedal commander for a more sensitive throttle, change the sway bushings for handling, use synthetic oil, smooth out the cold air intake ducting, change the headlights to brighter bulbs, change the rear hatch bulb to led so it matches the rest of the interior bulbs, keep a coat of Nu Finish on the paint & windshield to reduce drag and wind noise, keep up on maintenance/ interior-exterior finish /needed repairs and you have a nice ride!

This was an interesting read, regarding the different suspension setups. I have a 2018 Crossroad and I believe it was marketed as having "performance suspension." I wonder if that means it has the stiffer springs and sway bars. The Journey has a bit of body roll around corners, but I'm used to a modified SRT-4, which has almost no roll at all. My experience with handling is a little biased. 

On 6/17/2020 at 7:40 AM, Journeyphenia said:

I changed all sway bar related bushings to Moog. The biggest bonus was changing the front sway bar bushings. It was also the hardest. You may need a metal shop to weld on steel in order to modify the Moog bracket to match the OEM bracket footprint.

I would be interested in seeing a snapshot of what you did here. Did you happen to document the work? 

No photo's right now. Moog has the rear sway bar bushings listed on their site . There are two sizes listed under the Crossroad, 22.1 and 24.1 so measure your sway bar diameter. Rock Auto sells the rear bushing and the sway bar links.

The rear bar bushings are simple enough since it's a direct replacement and fits into the oem bracket. I had no issues with the bar links either. I think my mechanic charged $100 to do all and it took about an hour. We couldn't do the front because the Moog bracket wasn't wide enough to accept the bolts. More about that below.

The front sway bar isn't listed at Moog under Dodge Journey. Measure your bar diameter, the 2015 crossroad is 27mm. I think I had to call Moog to get the part number, #K90402. The bushing isn't a direct replacement so it comes with it's own bracket and you have to use it.

You have to cut into the Moog bracket and weld steel to the bracket to get the bolt holes where they need to be.

1. The footprint of the Moog bracket will need to end up similar to the oem. Either remove the oem and trace it, get an oem as a template or use my info. The oem bracket measures 4 1/4" long X 1 3/8 wide(+ - 1/16th). The bolt holes are spaced 3 1/4 apart and are 3/8 to 7/16" diameter.

2. On the Moog bracket, use a cut-off wheel to extend the existing bolt slots to the far ends so that the slot is now open ended. 

3. Weld steel rectangles on the top side of the Moog bracket to give the now open ends added strength. 

4. Drill out the bolt holes at 3 1/4" apart and clean it up with a grinder.

Not as easy as the rear but was worth it. Not sure how it would translate with other models but with Crossroads springs and struts, it's been great. If body sway was 7 before, it's 3 now. Also,  the tire traction is better at slow speeds on surfaces which cause side to side movement and was losing traction. The seats don't have a lot of side bolster but I find so much less body roll that I'm not shifting in the seat as much. If you do the change, let me know how it came out.