2011 Dodge Journey Pentastar fuel economy

Defender007

good news, after my first oil change, I reset the EVIC, and I have a new average of 18,4l/100km insted of 22,1l/100km (100% city) + remote start 2-3 time a day!

and idling time + remote start drinks soooo much gas!!!

I'm more satisfied with this average ! and I hope this will be a bit lower next summer without using remote start and warmer weather!

good news, after my first oil change, I reset the EVIC, and I have a new average of 18,4l/100km insted of 22,1l/100km (100% city) + remote start 2-3 time a day!

I'm more satisfied with this average ! and I hope this will be a bit lower next summer without using remote start and warmer weather!

That's still a bit high as you can see I am still at 16/100kms. which is stil quite high, although that is an overall average of both city and highway driving. I had my car out on the highway over the weekend and it dropped to the mid 10l /100lms.

As I have said before on several occasions the EVIC seems to be somewhat lower than the actual mileage. If you want to see my personal mileage click on the Fuelly logo below, and it should give you a detailed account of my car.

Terry

What KM are you at with your first oil change?

Are you in a very cold part of Canada?

I am about ready for my first oil change on my 2012 R/T also ....Just near 5000 KM now ,I am not waiting until 13000KM

.......Caper...

Edited by caperinmuskoka

I did my first oil change at 5400km, i'm living in Rimouski, Quebec, it's very cold and windy city in here! We often have -20c here!

And to go to work, I do a lot of stop and go, idling at traffic lights and stops, so it doesn't help fuel economy.

I live at about 2km from my work, and my wife does about 5km to her work when she takes the Journey.

So my 18,4l/100km si 100% winter city driving as of now, I did a few trips on the highway before reseting my EVIC, and I averaged about 9l/100km which is not bad at all.

Edited by Brainmaze

I'm in the USA and have a 3.5L SXT, bought it with 19 miles on it. During the test drive, I noticed the computer telling me the average mileage the previous driver got was about 17mpg. Resetting it, I drove about cautiously and got 19mpg but noticed something about the transmission and economy gauge.

This is a six speed auto and only when the tranny is in overdrive does the mileage begin to rise. This measn that city driving mileage is going to be awful unless yuou can coax it into overdirve after about 35mph. To do this, I accellerate as normal and then lift off the gas until I hear the overdrive engage. The economy meter will tell me I am getting great mileage (30+) and the car will accellerate slowly.

Now here's the sticky bit most folks will not do: change your driving habits. YOU are the person causing the problem and the economy gauge will help you get better mileage but onlyl if you change. So I did this. I tried driving according to the feedback given by the gauge and low and behold, the mileage went up - SIGNIFICANTLY!

Driving in city, I now acieve about 27mpg (11.48 KM/L or 8.71 L/100KM) and on the highway 31.5mpg (13.39 KM/L or 7.47 L/100KM). My vehicle has about 350 miles on it and mileage is getting better every day.

I also have added nitrogen to the tires (probably no real gain here but I talked the dealer into doing it - no harm anyway) and I have added friction reducers to the engine oil, transmission, and air conditioner.

I have a K&N air filter on order and it will be here Tuesday. Stay tuned.

If you have a 2012, then your engine is the 3.6L Pentastar, not the 3.5L

I have a real hard time believing that your are getting 8.71 L/100KM in the city, let alone 7.47 on the highway. Your calculations must be way off. Something is not right, especially with a green engine.

The best I ever got on the highway was 7.8L/100KM and that was just me, driving at a constant 110 kph for the entire tank.

I'm not calling you a liar but something has to be wrong with your numbers.

How are you calculating these numbers?

I get between 8.3 and 8.9 going 130km p/h with cruise on when im highway drivin, in my 2011 pure stock SXT. In the city I get anywhere from 11-14. When I let it idle and reset the fuel economy meter thing it goes as high as 85!! I had a 2010 Dodge Avenger pure stock SXT and if I filled it till the very top I could get 720km per tank before the low fuel light would come on. I was amazed but since I have my brand spankin new Journey I am very un-happy with getting a max of 520km before the low fuel light comes on. My Journey has 19k km's and I baby'd it the first 5k then after that I rode it normal. I am obsessed with watching the gas gauge though and in the Journey....I seem to watch it alot.

I was out yesterday and drove across the city (abt 14 km)

I hit all the traffic lights and was super conservative on

acceleration letting it shift at 2k rpm

When I got to the Home Depot lot this is what the l/100km

read so took a pic with my el cheapo cellfone.

Max speed 60 kph(abt38 mph)

Edited by bigtsr

When I got to the Home Depot lot this is what the l/100km read so took a pic with my el cheapo cellfone
Very impressive but with all due respect that really isn't a good test because it is very short. It does show what you were getting during that trip though. A case in point I got 9.3l/100 kms. on the highway home from Lethbridge to Regina, yes that is fairly decent mileage but not a true reading of my car. Yes my car got 9.3l/100 kms.but is that a "true" reading of it's performance? No not IMO anyway.

You can see by my current My Fuelly logo that I have averaged 15.9 for 20,000 kilometers. I have kept track of my fuel mileage ever since I got the car. If you click on the logo, it will show you all 58 fillups. This average takes in to account highway vs. city, summer vs. winter, where there is warm up periods, snow etc. On the highway I usually travel at 120 kph which is about 72 mph. Once again that will increase fuel consumption.

You can also look at drb227's fuelly, he's averaging 12.3 over 51 fillups. IMO, and of course you are free to disagree, putting the gas mileage over a longer distance is more accurate.

I don't know if this is typical of everyone's car but It has always been the case where in my car my EVIC is a little bit lower than the actuals. If my EVIC says 13 I can safely assume the actuals would be closer to 14. Obviously this post is just my own opinion, I am glad though you feel you are getting decent gas mileage.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

This was just for this tank which I filled up Feb 14th at which time I reset

the evic to 0,it said at that time DTE=598.

When I went out yesterday am it was 10.1/100km and I do admit coasting

down 2 hills to get that reading .

It was 9 C and wind was abt 2 km/hr.

If I get carried away with right foot that figure goes up like an Atlas rocket.

Edited by bigtsr

If you have a 2012, then your engine is the 3.6L Pentastar, not the 3.5L I have a real hard time believing that your are getting 8.71 L/100KM in the city, let alone 7.47 on the highway. Your calculations must be way off. Something is not right, especially with a green engine. The best I ever got on the highway was 7.8L/100KM and that was just me, driving at a constant 110 kph for the entire tank. I'm not calling you a liar but something has to be wrong with your numbers. How are you calculating these numbers?

Using the digital gauge on the dash to report mileage, maybe the converter I used from m/g to l/km is off. check my numbers using the mpg figures.

Put the K&N air filter on tonight and power is up at low speeds. 470 miles on the chassis. Florida is pretty flat, not sure what the terrain is like where you are and this could explain the difference.

I am getting about 22.4mpg city-only driving with typical starts and stops, speeds tops of 35mph.

Using the digital gauge on the dash to report mileage,

As I have mentioned on several occasions and this may not be typical of all Journeys but the EVIC on my dash is always at least .5-.7 liters/100kms low. The one time my actuals said 9.3 the EVIC on the dash read 8.7 and I got very excited.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Using the digital gauge on the dash to report mileage, maybe the converter I used from m/g to l/km is off. check my numbers using the mpg figures.

Put the K&N air filter on tonight and power is up at low speeds. 470 miles on the chassis. Florida is pretty flat, not sure what the terrain is like where you are and this could explain the difference.

I am getting about 22.4mpg city-only driving with typical starts and stops, speeds tops of 35mph.

If you are using the bar graph at the bottom of the display as an indicator of your gas mileage, that would explain your numbers. That graph only shows instantatneous fuel economy and cannot be relied on in any way, shape or form as a true indicator of the mileage you will get over a full tank of gas.

If you are using the mpg inidcator on that same screen, I have discovered (as Windancer has too) that the average mpg it displays is usually not accurate. It is much less accurate in stop and go, typical city driving. I have found it to be reasonably accurate if most of your driving on a tank is highway.

The only true way to get an accurate mpg rating is to fill up your tank at the same gas station and pump for two tankfuls and calculate the mpg based on miles driven and gallons used.

It is so flat here the old joke is If your dog ran away you could see him for 3 days. Seriously did you find the K&N air filter made a vast difference? The reason I ask is, others have said they really saw no performance increase after they installed it. I was looking for your thoughts.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

i have a 2011 mainstreet with 3.6.last year i was driving from alabama to las vegas and avg about 24-25 straight freeway driving about 75mph thur oaklahoma, texas,new mexico coming back the same way i avg about 30-32 mpg for 3 tanks of gas.only on the way back the elavation on the road is downhill. i was happy with the mph but that doesnt mean my car gets 30 all the time,its what you get over the long haul not what a silly gage on the cars says. average mph in the city is 19- 20mph and about 24-25 on the road straight driving at about 75mph.also check out on google about K-N airfilters compared to OME paper filters done on lab testers. the K-N filters let more dust thur the filter than the OME filters did. JUST might want to check this out brfore buying one.

Unfortunately, I'm still at around 22L/100kms. I took it to the dealer, dealer said that was wayyy to much (Ya, thanks genius!). Anyway, I call Chrysler made aq complaint stating that my CITY fuel economy was wayy off. I told the guy my numbers and even he was surprised. He told me to take it to the dealer to do a test. So the dealer told me to drive it and do 3 fill-ups and mark down my mileage at every fill-up. So I did and I averaged 22.5L/100kms. They guy freakes. There is something wrong, I will send the results to Chrysler and wait to see what they say. Few days later dealer calls me back and tells me I need to bring it back on a day the temp will be above 0 Celcius for a road test. The head tech takes it hooks up a computer mounted to the windshield that calculates fuel economy. Chrysler tells him to do a test ON THE HIGHWAY 100kms at 77 KM/H. I was like WTF?? I said CITY mileage my highway was fine. They told me that's Chrysler test. So what do think happened> My car passed the test, Chrysler calls me to say we aren't doing anything to the car it is within spec. I responded to calling them crooks and liars and that they don't give a rats butt about their customers or complaints. The only good part is if it doesn't get better with time, I took a short lease and I only have it for 2 more years. Thanks Chrysler. BTW, I took it on a small road trip (about 400kms round trip) I managed to get it down to 10l/100KM. Another thing the head tech at the dealer told me is that synthetic is NOT good for the engine because it messes with the cams and stuff.

Yeah, right, synthetic oil is no good. And pigs fly too. Calloway Corvette customs use syntehtic from mile zero! NASCAR and Formula 1 use synthetics (look for the Mobil 1 stickers).

Synthetics are tested to the same standard as petrolium and meet or exceed every testI

I just do not understand why people think premium oil is bad?

BTW, my mileage has measured 20.9 combined (80% city, 20% short highway trips A/C on) measured from the last tank pump reading divided into the number of miles on the trip odometer (dash gauge showed 19.2).

My 4 banger gets a calculated 11.1 l/100km or 21 mpg combined city/highway, but more highway than city.

If highway mileage is fine then it could be unconscious leadfoot issues, transmission shift issues or simply road conditions - have you got someone who owns another that you could swap with for a few days? How about renting one just to prove the point? If your mileage is the same on multiple vehicles then it is not likely to be the vehicle.

I just took delivery of a 2012 CREW model last friday and I've already put 1000 kms on it. I've been averaging 10.1L/100kms travelling 160 kms round trip to work and back home. This is also driving mostly highway kms in a mountain area. I'm satisfied with that. Its about what i was expecting for this size of vehicle. The vehicle is pretty heavy and the engine has a pretty high output. These are all things to take into consideration.