2011 Dodge Journey Pentastar fuel economy

Defender007

I ran about 450 miles before resetting the fuel economy average in EVIC - got 25.1. Just ran 650 miles or so, got 25.2 - 80% of that was interstate driving with cruise at 72 mph. Very happy with the mileage so far for this type of vehicle. On the interstate, at 72, she will average well over 26 mpg. Had about 80 miles to drive yesterday on the interstate - the average started at 25 mpg and was over 26 mpg. Of course it came back down when I was doing urban/suburban stop and go after exiting the interstate.

I ran about 450 miles before resetting the fuel economy average in EVIC - got 25.1.

I am certainly not questioning Jay regarding his mileage at all, but I have said it before in my personal vehicle the EVIC is usually .7-1 liter better in mileage than I got in reality depending whether it was city or highway driving. This is my car only and yours may differ.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Second trip to the lake. Towing the boat gave 19 mpg on cruise 108 kmph. Lots of downshifting but handled the chore well. Coming home light load, fair crosswind gave 35.2 mpg by fill and calculate. Evic and scangauge read about the same. They really pour in the fuel in these when starting from a stop. So far the mileage is better than expected. Stop and go cuts it down quite badly, have to drive with a light foot or shut up and put up with it I guess.

The 2011 R/T (3.6 V6) gave me some bad mileage. This is based on 90% city driving.

I got 310 KM from a full tank (~79L), that's 25.2 L / 100KM.

For those of you who are used to US Units, this is what I got: only 192.6 mi from a 20 Gallon tank.

I know the feeling. The ododmeter just turned 10000kms and I'm down to around 18-19L/100kms according to the EVIC. STill crappy, I was expecting closer to 15L/100Kms...

Here in Brazil with our gasoline of poor quality, has too much alcohol, and a complicated transit in Fortaleza, which is a big city like many traffic lights, stopping all the time, I'm doing on average 6km / l, the onboard computer shows 15l / 100km. I still think it will improve, now that my car is to run 800km.

2012 R/T AWD (w/ 3rd row and rear a/c/heat) only 900km odo, on highway, 2 hr drive, cruise set at 103km, computer showed 8.9 after about an hour. Around town for a week it shows 12.1 Ill try to remember to record my fills vrs km on odo and figure it out correctly. What I can say though is compared to my 2010R/T AWD (no rear third row no rear a/c/heat recently disposed of for other reasons) with 35,000km on it, driving around town the fuel light was on at 440-450km and on the 2012 one I was at 1/4 tank showing at 472km.

Going on a round trip from Ontario to Nova Scotia next week will keep track of Km fill ups and liters used for whole trip ......will let you know.....Caper.

will be interested in hearing back about this; will be doing the same come September for a wedding :D

How can you have only 8.6 with 95% city driving? If it was 95% highway driving, sure. If I'm really really careful with the gas pedal, I can get in the 10's on a tank of mostly city driving but even that is rare. I'm usually around the mid-12s.

Highway is a different story. I've gotten as low as 7.8 on a tank of all highway driving with the cruise set at 110 and only me in the vehicle.

I'm really curious about this because it just doesn't seem possible.

I was on the road for 35 yrs as a tech mgr and have used a tracking

program to take care of vehicle maintenance and write-offs.

Still using it every fillup is entered and it gives me all the averages

ongoing,when I gas up I always fill up to auto shut off and no more.

Over the yrs I have developed a driving style that promotes good mpg

and wear averages.

My brakes usually goto 75000-90000 kms,I use downshifting and anticipate

lite changes along with the fact the DJ coasts like no Mopar I have ever owned.

I would have loved the CVT in this DJ similar to the one I had in my '07 Caliber

which usually achieved 29 - 31 mpg for my driving.

That's 8.6 kilometers per litre!

Edited by bigtsr

2012 R/T AWD (w/ 3rd row and rear a/c/heat) only 900km odo, on highway, 2 hr drive, cruise set at 103km, computer showed 8.9 after about an hour. Around town for a week it shows 12.1 Ill try to remember to record my fills vrs km on odo and figure it out correctly. What I can say though is compared to my 2010R/T AWD (no rear third row no rear a/c/heat recently disposed of for other reasons) with 35,000km on it, driving around town the fuel light was on at 440-450km and on the 2012 one I was at 1/4 tank showing at 472km.

I found my last receipt. 472km 60.737L fuel 472 / 100 = 4.72 60.737 / 4.72 = 12.86L/100km (21.96mpg Imp, 18.29 USA) cost $.152 / km

Another thing that I can note is that when I fill up my

DTE(drive to empty) usually resets 695-728 km.

That indicates that the algorythm tracking the EVIC

L/100 is also reporting very good milage.

My last fill up was for 381km 40.744L fuel 381/100 = 3.81 40.744 / 3.81 = 10.693L/100km (26.43 mpg Imp 22.0 USA)

cost $ .13249 / km @ $1.239 / litre of Shell Bronze

Of course it's FWD and not lugging all that extra AWD gear.

Edited by bigtsr

Another thing that I can note is that when I fill up my

DTE(drive to empty) usually resets 695-728 km.

That indicates that the algorythm tracking the EVIC

L/100 is also reporting very good milage.

My last fill up was for 381km 40.744L fuel 381/100 = 3.81 40.744 / 3.81 = 10.693L/100km (26.43 mpg Imp 22.0 USA)

cost $ .13249 / km @ $1.239 / litre of Shell Bronze

Of course it's FWD and not lugging all that extra AWD gear.

Bigtsr,

In a post above you said you were averaging 8.6 but this calculation shows 10.693, which seems closer to reality to me. How did you come up with the 8.6 figure? I understand that the 10.693 is only one tank and not the average but this just seems to be more indicative of what your true average would be, not the 8.6.

The 8.6 kilometer per liter figure is the cumulative result shown in the cost/expense

software I use and covers from Jan 1st 2012 to last fillup May 29 2012.

During that period I had a round trip non stop to Windsor/Detroit area

which on the return with tailwind on cruise @ 105 km/hr the EVIC was

reporting 7.4L / 100km,when I filled up tho it worked out to 7.7 in reality.

Your right abt the 10.693 figure as that was for the 381 km before that

fill up (saw cheap gas) of the 381kms only 30kms were hiway at abt 105km/hr.

Edited by bigtsr

That's 8.6 kilometers per litre!

With all due respect I can not believe 8.6l/100kms in city driving, so please do not take any offense to this, but as drb227 pointed out your calculations showed a 10.693 liter/100kms. I was out at my dealers on the weekend and the stickers in the all the windows of all the V-6 Journeys boasted a 8.4 l/100kms highway and a 10 l /100 kms city rating. As we all know these figures are under ideal conditions and are not represenitive of the "real world" gas mileage.

I have said it many times before I once got 9.3 l/100kms coming from Lethridge to Regina. I probably could have done a weeee bit better considering I was travelling at 120 kms/hr and it is a single lane highway from Lethbirdge to Medicine Hat and I was fairly aggresive on my numerous passes. Does that mean my car always gets that good of mileage? No not at all, this was only one tankfull.

If you look at drb227's Fuelly, which if you are faithful using is very accurate, he is averaging overall 12.4 l/100kms. over 70 fills which IMO is much more accurate than over a couple of fills, my Fuelly is not quite as generous saying I average 15.9 l/100 over 63 fills, but I am sure the difference can be attibuted to the way I drive. I belive this to be very indicative of the true mileage I am gettting because it takes in to account warming up the car in winter etc.

Just my thoughts and my $0.02 on the subject.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Well it's just the way I set up the app initially so it's a normal

figure to me sorry for the confusion.

Spent all day yesterday driving around GTA in heavy traffic

and filled up last nite beat the hell out of milage but year to-date

it works out to 11.92 L/100km or 23.7 mpg IMP and 19.73 US gal.

When I want to convert things I have always used this site

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

When I want to convert things I have always used this site

http://www.tdiclub.c...onversions.html

I actually made an excel spreadsheet a number of years back that does conversions to imperial when I had started tracking my caliber at purchase.. I could add a second sheet to do imperial to metric as well if anyone's interested? after entering the same info that Fuelly asked for (trip mileage, litres filled, cost per litre, it then calculated L/100Km, Km/L, MPG, G/Mile as well as how many KM/Miles you should have been able to travel on one tank of gas...