2011 Dodge Journey Pentastar fuel economy

Defender007

I'm interested to see that others have an issue with the fuel economy. I've not kept close track of the numbers but notice my credit card getting quite a workout. Outside of a few backroad jaunts to the beach we've been doing mostly in city driving. Next week we're doing a lap of Lake Erie and I'll keep a log for that one. I have noticed that some gas station's pumps don't fill the tank all the way without some effort which makes a tank by tank comparison difficult. So does having a son with a heavy foot.

A few observations: Love the power of the Pentastar V6. Hate the shift program on the 6 speed. I keep thinking of the fact that a 1970 Duster 340 had 275 hp at the flywheel. This has 286 BRAKE horsepower. That Duster never got 15 mpg much less 30. I'm wondering if a K&N filter will help economy when they get one on the market. The honking big 19" wheels aren't helping fuel economy either.

2011 Journey Crew. Mango Tango (which obviously makes it much faster).

I have a 2011 USA Journey Mainstreet, no AWD and new pentastar V6. When I was city driving more, I was getting about 16-17 mpg. Now I'm in the country a little bit, I'm about 22 mpg. I had a 06 Chevy malibu V6 and that thing got same numbers maybe slightly better. I think this is good gas milage for a crossover. I don't think Acadias get that good. I'm at about 2050 miles, so hopefully the more I put on the better. Things are still tight and bearings need to loosen up. All you brand new owners, lets be patient and see if we do better with more milage. As it says in the manual "high rpms are desirable" lol.

I think my fuel economy could be even better.

I agree..... as I have pointed out to this forum many times, fuel economy is not a strong point of the Journey. You can see mine by clicking on the My Fuelly logo at the bottom of my post. It shows an in depth review of my driving. As I have mentioned before I have kept track of my fuel economy since day 1 of my ownership. I kept track of it through our brutal winter and all the idling I did, plus all the highway and city driving I did and I average 15.6 l/100 kms on 41 fillups. I would like to improve on this.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I really don't care too much about the mileage I'm getting. I know I'm getting around the same as my former 175hp Chevy Equinox, but now I've got 283hp plus AWD, I'm way ahead of the game.

I've gotten 9.0 on the highway and about 15-16 in the city. How you drive makes a difference. AWD drive only kicks in when wheels slip or you hammer the throttle. Driving normally - you're driving FWD. But when the roads get icy and people are crawling away from lights in their FWD and RWD cars, I don't care if I'm losing a bit of mileage becuase you simply cannot beat AWD.

I did another long road trip a week ago. It was approximately 1400 kms one way.

I filled up just before leaving home and really took my time to slowly fill it full. It is a real pain that I have to do that to get the tank completely full. Some gas pumps don't let the gas out slow enough to be able to fill the tank. In some cases, I cannot get the needle to the F no matter how slow I try to fill it. Luckily, the gas station I use most of the time has pumps that can be run fairly slowly to allow me to fill the tank. Anyway, back on topic.

On the first tank, I set the cruise at 110 kph because I wanted to see how driving at that speed would affect the gas mileage. I didn't stop to fill up until 911 kms had passed!! The EVIC said I still had just under 100 kms to go on that tank. If I had really pushed it, I possibly could have gone 1000 kms on that tank!

Needless to say, I am extremely happy and impressed with the gas mileage of the 3.6L Pentastar V6!

The only concerning part was when I filled up that first tank after 911 kms. I put 77.28 litres in the tank!! It is supposed to be a 78 litre tank. That means 1 of three things - a) I was almost completely out of gas and the EVIC was wrong, b ) the gas pump was wrong and I didn't actually put 77.28 litres in the tank, c) the tank is bigger than 78 litres.

I freakin' love the power this engine has when passing on hills and down-shifting manually!

Edited by drb227

First road trip and wanted to give some feedback on my mileage. Car is just over 1500kms, was averaging 8.8L/100km to and from Buffalo was about 400+ kms in total with an avg speed of 120km/h

Car handled great, the power was there, but just wish the engine would 'learn' more on the driving habits...I guess it still needs some time to break in more.

I also bought and installed Thule roof racks on the way back. Aside from a bit of wind noise, it did not impact the fuel economy :)

Just did another run this past weekend to Buffalo,same speed and came out with 8.2L/100kms...now with 3600km on the odometer! This time, it was filled with 5 guys, luggage, and a filled cooler.

Aside from the fuel economy, my friends gave the thumbs up on the Journey, they found it very quiet, powerful, and comfortable..they really enjoyed the fact that the 2nd row seats can be lowered/tilted back especially on the way back after a full weekend of drinking and partying :)

• 1 month later...

11 sxt v6

I average about 11-12 on a 50/50 highway/city driving.

This is pretty much what my pontiac g8 v6 consume.

the lowest ive got on the highway for about 15-20 km with hills and downhill was about 8 L /100 km and the lowest i got for a trip around the city was 11.

I did 595 km on my last tank of gaz with about 60/40 city/highway. I am more than happy with the gaz consumption of that journey

Edited by whitesxt

I just passed 4000kms on it and I'm still at 20L/100Kms city. This is getting stupid, I'm scheduling a appointment with my dealer. This can't be normal and the engine can't be not broken in. Hell, her brother's Ram does 18L/100kms in the city and I do 20L/100kms in my SRT8 300 (and my foot isn't light)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Journey R/T 2012 V6 AWD and it does about 21l/100km average (100% city), I have 1600km on it and bought it a month ago!

I averaged 9.3l/100km on highway at average 115 kph so that's pretty good but the city average isn't good at all at the moment.

Defender007, keep us posted please after you do your oil change

Thanks

I believe you will pay a price for electing AWD as your choice of power train.

I just past 2200 km on my FWD SXT and evic is reporting 10.7 for 90% city.

Of course I drive like an old guy and very seldom drive over posted limits

and even though the Pentastar will leave most at the lights I have refrained

form doing it in the search of gas economy.

I intend to switch to Mobile 1 at 5000 km.

Edited by bigtsr

I just passed 4000kms on it and I'm still at 20L/100Kms city. This is getting stupid, I'm scheduling a appointment with my dealer. This can't be normal and the engine can't be not broken in. Hell, her brother's Ram does 18L/100kms in the city and I do 20L/100kms in my SRT8 300 (and my foot isn't light)

There is something definately wrong, the car should get much better mileage than that. As I have said numerous times, gas mileage is not a strong point of this car but that is not good. You can see by my sig that I use My Fuelly and I have kept track of my mileage since day one. It includes warm up time and idling and it is at 15.5 which is too high IMO but that is the plain truth and I have to live with it. Let us know if you find anything out.

As you can see mine is a Fully Loaded up 2010 Journey R/T AWD and has 16,000 kilometers or 10,000 miles on it..

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 4 weeks later...

Changed the oil last week. She did about 190kms. Maybe too soon but the economy is still at 22L/100Kms. I spoke to the service manager and he said the onnly thing he can do is reset the computer to factory specs and see if that helps. I WISH i could get 15.5L hell I'd be glad to get 16L/100kms. When I first bought it, I did so with the expectations of getting 15-16L/100km. Never expected it to get the advertised 13.3L/100kms. Is there any agencies I can complain to? There must be something because there's a HUGe difference between 13.3L and 22L/100kms. Other than that we both love the car and features. I even just put on my 17" wheels and winter tires. I figured the winters are softer maybe get better economy?