2011 Dodge Journey Pentastar fuel economy

Defender007

Hey guys, just bought my 2012 DJ SXT 3.6L Pentastar, have driven around 650kms so far and I cant believe how economical this thing is!!! WOOHOO!!! I'm getting around 10.6-11.0L/100kms around town (60/40 highway/city driving) I know some of you might be wondering "why is this guy so happy about fuel consumption in the 10.5-11s" but I've owned a 2009 Dodge Nitro and a 2010 Jeep Patriot 2.4L 5 speed and I have to admit that the Journey has got the most balanced power/economy ratio out of the others I've owned. The Nitro was an absolute guzzler - 16.0L/100km around town and 10.8L/100km on highway at best (melbourne to sydney and return - roughly 1800kms) - couldnt praise the car much coz the engine/gearbox combo was too weak to pull the 2 tonne beast. The Patriot, although manual, could only better the Nitro's comsumption by a little bit - 8.5L/100 km highway (melbourne-sydney) 10.4L/100km around town with same highway/city driving as the Journey. Besides, the Patriot was a little wheezy for a 2.4L.

The Journey's performance is brilliant. The 6 speed is well matched to the engine and there is plenty in reserve when the pedal is pushed. I did notice that the fuel consumption would go up when sitting in traffic frequently or when FWOT is explored too often but for everyday driving, it's great :) I'm amazed that this crossover can return much better consumption than the Nitro which weighs about the same. Not to mention how well equipped it is with all the features. I'm totally happy!

Looking forward to better mileage as the engine wears in and I'll make that switch to synthetic oil!

I'm back up to 21.5L/100kms on my R/T AWD... this is ridiculous

I would agree with you, this type of mileage is ridicules and does not reflect the car in general. I know you have many answers to this post and probably don't need another sympathy post.

Does your dealer have any idea what may be wrong? Has he said anything to you? Is your EVIC working properly? I don't mean to be condescending and you may have answered this already, but have you done the math manually to confirm the results you are getting? My personal mileage is below the average that most people seem to be getting, but that is probably attributed to my driving habits.

If you click on the "My Fuelly" logo below you will observe my mileage has been all over the map. At the moment, I personally am getting 15.9 l / 100 kms over 67 fillups, 23,000 kilometers, with a 43% city vs. 57% highway. I have gotten a best of 9.3 l /100 kms. on a highway trip of 500 km. to a worst of 24.4 l / 100 kms.of city driving during a very cold and snowy period in December during the winter of 2010.

Please let all of us know if you get any explanation for your problem.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I have the previous engine with AWD and averaging 15km/100L. So u can only assume the Pentastar will produce even better results. 50/50 highway/city.

I do notice since this car is heavy that a slight change in driving pattern or bump in traffic and this will drink fuel like a thirsty elephant. The EVIC counter just starts to go up like watching a taxi meter.

• 3 months later...

I just purchased a new Dodge Journey Crew AWD with the Pentastar engine, and couldn't be happier with the mileage. The car now has about 3500 total miles, and my experience is best mileage occurs after 10K miles with most new cars. We recently went on a 400 mile trip, consisting of 50% freeways traveling 70 mph, 45% on hilly two-lanes, and 5% in-town. Our return trip included a strong cross-wind the entire way. I averaged 23.7 miles per gallon. It always amazes me how some people get such poor mileage. If I had driven 65 mph and no cross-winds, I'm convinced we would have gotten over 25 mpg, (which I have done on shorter trips). Oh yes, and if you want performance, this car is FAST, with sub 7-second 0-60's. Thank you Chrysler for building me a quality vehicle that does so many things so well.

I just did a 500 km (300 mile) road trip in which I filled up with Premium gas before I left when I filled up when I got back My Fuelly said I got 9.3 L/100 KMS which ties my best ever recorded. I am at a loss to explain this because I have always used regular gas. Is it just a coincidence or a fact? I have to do some more investigating!

Terry

I just did a 500 km (300 mile) road trip in which I filled up with Premium gas before I left when I filled up when I got back My Fuelly said I got 9.3 L/100 KMS which ties my best ever recorded. I am at a loss to explain this because I have always used regular gas. Is it just a coincidence or a fact? I have to do some more investigating!

Terry

If your premium gas contains no ethanol then that would explain the better fuel economy along with your driving habits.

I am a new Dodge Journey Owner, how often should i be resetting the fuel economy gauge on the EVIC?

Thanks

You can reset it as often as you like,resetting with every fill will cause

you have the algorithym used in the EVIC giving you discouraging reports.

When you have a full tank mpg/l per 100km is always the worst,if you can

resist the urge to reset then longterm readout will reflect a more favourable

averaging for your type of driving because enviroment,driving style etc.

If your premium gas contains no ethanol then that would explain the better fuel economy along with your driving habits.

Thanks, must be the fact the gas has no ethanol because my driving habits (not the greatest) didn't change overnight.....LOL.

Terry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right now using the remote start often I've been up to 33L/100kms according to the evic. I reset it often maybe I should leve it alone. Does the evic use the avg economy to calculate dte? But even at that I reset the trip and I have NEVER managed to get an avg tank passed 380kms

Defender007 have you tried tracking your gas mileage consumption with www.fuelly.com? If so, is it the same numbers as reported on your EVIC? If you haven't then maybe you should try it for a few fill ups and see if it gives lower fuel consumption readings cuz the numbers you are reporting would make a Hummer look like a smart car.

Right now using the remote start often I've been up to 33L/100kms according to the evic. I reset it often maybe I should leve it alone. Does the evic use the avg economy to calculate dte? But even at that I reset the trip and I have NEVER managed to get an avg tank passed 380kms

Yes if you want more realistic numbers don't reset the L/KM

as longterm averaging comes into play.

The only time to reset it is if you wish to find out what EVIC

is reporting for a particular stretch of road.

The most reliable way to calculate is still the manual fill to fill

method kms versus liters used manually.

Can anyone with an RT with the pen taster share their economy numbers. Seems that everyone getting old mileage has FWD journeys

Hi there, I have a 2010 Dodge Journey R/T with a 3.5L engine and AWD, in summer on the highway, using higher octane gas I have gotten 9.3l/100 kms. Is this the norm? No....... Right now Regina seems to be experiencing a somewhat harsher winter than normal. It is cold and we have more snow than normal, my gas mileage (19.5) is IMO very poor at this time of year, warm ups, lots of iding and lots of snow.

If you click on the My Fuelly logo below it will give you what I have got ever since I bought the car.

I agree with several of the suggestions already given to you by others. I would agree with Jouney SExT and start a my fuelly account, very easy to keep track of and once you get in the habit of recording your fill ups very easy to maintain. I would also agree with bigtsr if you want more realistic numbers don't reset the L/KM each fillup as longterm averaging does comes into play. I reset mine each tankful but that's me. I agree, The only time to reset it is if you wish to find out what EVIC is reporting for a particular trip. As he/she noted the most reliable way to calculate is still the manual fill to fill method kms versus liters used manually.

I hope all these suggestions help.

Terry

146733255.jpg

Edited by Windancer

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up our new '13 AWD R/T a couple of weeks ago; finally put gas in it for the first time. We live in the foothills of the mountains, so, the terrain is quite hilly. Mix of highway (had to go to Altoona once on I-99) and local. I was quite impressed as we hand-computed to 20.6 mpg (EVIC says 19.9). The vehicle we gave up for the Journey was a Hemi Commander. I won't tell you how poor the mileage on that puppy was, but, 20.6 mpg for the very first tank makes me ecstatic! Given the size (virtually indentical to the Commander, 6" shorter and actually 2" longer) and that kind of improvement in mpg, I'll keep my Pentastar. Miss my Jeep, but, the Journey rides better, handles better and is certainly easier on my wallet.

<quote class='ipsquote'data-author="Defender007" data-cid="25401" data-time="1357271879"><p>

Right now using the remote start often I've been up to 33L/100kms according to the evic. I reset it often maybe I should leve it alone. Does the evic use the avg economy to calculate dte? But even at that I reset the trip and I have NEVER managed to get an avg tank passed 380kms</p></quote>

How long are you letting it idle? This will greatly affect your readings. My old car, a Cobalt SS, did the same - idling kills the EVIC reading and DOES have an impact on the calculation for DTE.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is sitting on 28-33L/100km with atleast 7mins idling before i actually drive. Pure city driving! Still not so impressive.. Tried to reset fuel economy on evic after idling when i started moving i got best of 21.4L/100km. Did it again i got 23.1L/100km

Now im on my 1380km on my journey r/t. Im so jealous to those getting 10s on thier fuel exonomy! Is there anything wrong with my journey?

I never tried it on highway yet! Hopefully its not as bad..

• 2 months later...
Mine is sitting on 28-33L/100km with atleast 7mins idling before i actually drive. Pure city driving! Still not so impressive.. Tried to reset fuel economy on evic after idling when i started moving i got best of 21.4L/100km. Did it again i got 23.1L/100km

Now im on my 1380km on my journey r/t. Im so jealous to those getting 10s on thier fuel exonomy! Is there anything wrong with my journey?

I never tried it on highway yet! Hopefully its not as bad..

Don't worry I get the same at 100% city. At least I'm not the only one. On the highway I've gotten under 10L/100kms. I'm at around 20L/100KMs right now

I've been getting 12.5- 13 L/100km consistently for 100% city driving. Something must be wrong. The worst I've gotten is 15.1L/100km when I first got it. The best I've gotten is 10.2 L/100km with one highway trip when we first got it. The mileage has steadily improved as I put more kilometres on. The only difference I can see is that mine is an SXT, but that shouldn't make that much difference.

If you use the metric system, would it not make more sense for you to measure your fuel mileage in km per L? Or is that one of those things that so simple that it's stupid to do it that way? Haha.

I average 20.3 miles per gallon with about a 35/65 highway/city ratio, and some idling time also.