2011 Dodge Journey Pentastar fuel economy

Defender007

we;ve been driving our R/T for a little over a week and about 500kms. My wife takes it to work, all city driving, some traffic and she's been averaging 21L/100KMS!!!!! I saw this and my jaw dropped! I'm like I got rid of the jeep because it was doing 30L/100kms and thats what i'm gonna save? 9L/100kms on a V6. What have the rest of you guys been getting?

we;ve been driving our R/T for a little over a week and about 500kms. My wife takes it to work, all city driving, some traffic and she's been averaging 21L/100KMS!!!!! I saw this and my jaw dropped! I'm like I got rid of the jeep because it was doing 30L/100kms and thats what i'm gonna save? 9L/100kms on a V6. What have the rest of you guys been getting?

I've also just completed one week and 450km. I checked the other day and I'm running 16 for 100% city driving. I don't expect better numbers until at least 3,000 to 5,000km when the motor is fully broken in and loosened up.

WOW!!!

You wife must really have a lead foot to get that kind of mileage. Most of my driving is city and I got 15.4L/100kms on my first tank. Now I have just over 4000kms and I am at 12.0 on the current tank. Still mostly city driving, probably 80%. I do make a conscious effort to take it easy on the gas pedal to help my gas mileage solely because gas is so frickin expensive these days. I do have to occasionally have a bit of fun with it though, as it is too hard to resist the call of those 283 hp!

I think I'd have to driving pretty hard all the time to get my gas mileage up to 21L.

That I can accept but 21 is crazy! I will keep an eye on it and keep you posted

That is certainly high.

As others in this forum know I have a 2010 which I have kept tracking the gas mileage for 12,000 kms. and 37 fillups which you can see by clicking on the "My Fuelly" badge in my signature below. This average takes in to account cold winter idling, both city and highway driving. Personally I have had a best of 9.3 l/100 kms. to a low of around 21 l/100 kms. It can vary quite a bit.

I have recommended to many to use "My Fuelly" which is free. To their credit drb227 & mindorensis have signed up and are willing to openly share their findings, good or bad. So far they are doing better than me :( Of course this is only my opinion, others may differ.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Just did another fill up. EVIC said 11.8, Fuelly.com says 12.8. So it was off 1L this time. Has been off 0.6L the previous 2 fill-ups.

Was nice to see the DTE display show 616kms right after the fill-up!

Fuel economy definitely getting better as the engine gets broken in.

I am in my third week with my 2011 R/T. In week one the first tank was all highway it ended up at 12.8L/100kms after about 700kms. Second tank was 60/40 highway/city and reading was 13.5L/100kms after about 400kms. I am 1/4 way through tank 3 almost all highway 10.8L/100kms after about 280 kms. I am getting happier all the time. One note to this, the litres put in at fillups is not far off what I was getting in my 2008 CRV with a four-cylinder - that makes me really happy because I find the power in the engine is about 110 hp more and when cruising along at 115 kph engine is only turning over at about 1500 - 1700 rpm vs 2500 - 3000 in CRV.

I have other issues but will look for appropriate post for those - like dead battery 5 days after purchase or getting dodge to source bluetooth for U-connect.

This is crazy! I just filled up. Avg was 20.4L/100KMS!!!!!!! after fill-up DTE was 385kms! I know my wife, she doesn't drive with a heavy foot but she does get stuck in traffic in the morning but not for long. I filled up, drove to my buddy's restaurant and back home. Total trip was about 6-7 kms max, I was FEATHERING the gas pedal and the avg displayed was 25L/100KMS. I'm starting to think that something is not right here...

This is crazy! I just filled up. Avg was 20.4L/100KMS!!!!!!! after fill-up DTE was 385kms! I know my wife, she doesn't drive with a heavy foot but she does get stuck in traffic in the morning but not for long. I filled up, drove to my buddy's restaurant and back home. Total trip was about 6-7 kms max, I was FEATHERING the gas pedal and the avg displayed was 25L/100KMS. I'm starting to think that something is not right here...

You might have an issue. I just recvd my R/T last Friday..... put a wopping 200 km's on it so far in the city and the gizmo is telling me my avg is around 12.8L/100Km's. Now I am being very light footed in my driving, but I think 20 + as an avg is fairly high.

Difficult to say what the problem may be.

I would try taking it out on the highway and resetting the fuel econ display, then drive it for 20 or 30 kms at highway speed, trying to keep it around 100-110 kph or so. Your EVIC should show the gas mileage well below 15L/100kms at the end of it. If I do that with my Journey, I get between 9 and 10L/100kms for the test. Needs to be on a relatively flat highway.

If you get a much higher number, then something is obviously wrong.

Maybe the EVIC is way off? You should try using www.fuelly.com to track a few tankfuls of gas to see what numbers you get there as a comparison to what your EVIC says.

My last car was like that i had a 4 cylinder Pontiac G6 and i got maybe 20mpg in town and about 30 on highway and it should have been higher than that. That was why i got the 4 cyl. But the dealership could never figure it out, so hopefully yours gets better and there isnt something wrong.

Do you guys have AWD or a FWD 3.6L? Forgot to mention I have AWD. She has stop and go traffic every morning and sometimes coming back home. So far I did some highway this weekend and today and i'm down to 18L/100km but I think it's still wayyyy off...

Mine is FWD. My latest fillup today, the EVIC shows 10.8. Fuelly shows 10.9. I did much more highway driving on this tank, approx. 70%. It seems the EVIC is more accurate when you do less stop and go driving?

What you should try is, fill up, reset the EVIC and then go on the highway for maybe 30 minutes or so. See what the EVIC reports then.

I have posted elsewhere on fuel consumption for the 2009. With and without 3500 lb trailer towing. Most often with the trailer I get 16-19 l/100k. If you are getting 21 l/100k on a stock unit (AWD< FWD whatever) then I suggest you must have a garden hose for a fuel line :) . If this excessive consumption continues then off to the dealer you should go and have them confirm the computer link for the fuel injection. Sounds like premature introduction of fuel into the cylinder which results in a gas pig for a vehicle.

I took it on the highway for about 10-15 kms @ 100km/h and i managed to drop it to around 9.8L/100km :surrender:

That is at least some good news!

Your wife must drive in pretty heavy stop and go traffic and for short distances for the gas mileage to be as high as it is. Stop and go traffic and short distances will most definitely kill the gas mileage. Also, you need to be very easy on the gas pedal in those situations to get the best gas mileage possible. I'm learning to do that with my Journey and it does help.