2011 Dodge Journey Pentastar fuel economy

Defender007

I have had my Journey coming on two months. It is the RT AWD and has 2200 kms on it. In the first month, mainly did city driving and was in the 13.5 - 13.9 / 100km during that time. I have done alot of highway driving the past two weekends and have watched the milage drop significantly over this time. I am now at 12.5L/100km. It is not the best milage in its class, but it is very competitive. Not to mention, it is one sweet ride.

Once again, any brits? The 2.0 VW CRD engine is quoted at 45mpg combined (6.2l/100km or so), and I'm getting about 32 mpg (8.8l/100km).

I'm going to have the dealer have a look at it and see if ther'es something wrong, but I'm a bit concerned that it's using over 25% more fuel than quoted...

I've been testing it on highway (motorway!) drives etc, so I don't think it's me or my driving style, even if I'm am still getting used to 6 gears!

European cars are indeed equipping their cars with auto start/stop when at the traffic light. Even Porsche's Panamera is equipped with it. It's a trend that's definitely going to be adapted to North America. If it does, any know how the A/C will continue to cool if the engine is stopped since the alternator and compressor are connected in one belt.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that is terrible. Maybe you should contact another dealer? I never got above 15L/100km when the vehicle was brand new. I'm just over 7000 kms and usually get between 11 and 13, depending on how much city driving I do.

How many kms do you get from a tank of gas?

Man, that is terrible. Maybe you should contact another dealer? I never got above 15L/100km when the vehicle was brand new. I'm just over 7000 kms and usually get between 11 and 13, depending on how much city driving I do.

I have 5300kms or so and since day one it has ranged between 11.5 - 12.5 city/highway, hitting 10.5 when its mostly highway. I think I hi 13 - 13.3 a few times when it was almost all city + traffic but never above 13.5

Probably around 400KM maybe less. It's an AWD what are you guys driving. Everyone mentions fuel economy but barely nobody says if its FWD or AWD. But even at that, it can't be a 8L/100km difference...

My wife just passed 2000kms on an AWD and she still averages 212.5-22L/100KMS!!!!!! This is ridiculous. I call ed the dealer and they said that it hasnt been broken in yet and it should get better by the 5000km mark...

This may be a dumb question but are you basing that number on the onboard computer or good old fashioned math? The reason I ask that is there may be something wrong with the onboard computer. Either way something is definately wrong. I am getting 15.6 on 40 fillups, which is a little higher than one would expect, but no where near your number. If you wish to see my gas mileage just click on the My Fuelly logo at the bottom of this post. P.S. my 2010 R/T AWD has 13000 kilometers on it.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Probably around 400KM maybe less. It's an AWD what are you guys driving. Everyone mentions fuel economy but barely nobody says if its FWD or AWD. But even at that, it can't be a 8L/100km difference...

Something is definitely not right. I can always get over 500 kms per tank, every tank. No way AWD vs FWD would make that much of a difference in gas mileage. You really should get a second opinion.

By the way, in Canada, unless you are driving a 2011 R/T, all other 2011 models are FWD only.

isnt awd an option on the crew? on the next tank i will calculate it the old fashion way. i had reset my trip computer so i will do the math and get back to you. Funny thing is on the highway i reset it for a 10 km drive and i was doing 8.5-9L/100km

Just did a highway drive from Kenora to Winnipeg. I reset the fuel economy tracker just after I got outside of Kenora. I was averaging 8.5L/100 KM by the time I got back to Winnipeg. I kept my speed at just over 100 km/h the whole way.

Congrats on the excellent mileage, :) I, personally have never reached that. My personal best is 9.3L/100 on a very flat highway that is double lane 60% of the time although it was very early on in the history of my car. I would suspect that my mileage is improved somewhat by now.

Unfortunately that great gas mileage is just one mement in time (albeit a good one). I have tracked my mileage since 'Day 1' and over 40 fillups I have an average of 15.6L/100 over 13,000 kms (7800 miles) as can be seem by "My Fuelly" badge in my signature. Unfortunately I still think 15.6 is still a little high, but it is coming down over summer with a little bit more highway driving.

Terry

AWD 3.6L... Just got back from 1200 KM highway trip... Can't lay off the pedal long enough to get decent fuel economy!!! Love the power.. Can't beleive I didn't get a ticket!!

Average 125Km/H... put the hammer down hard on every pass... 11.7 L/100Km.. Last 400Km, I slowed to 110 and didn't do much passing, the average for the trip came down to 10.9 L/100Km.. Not really too bad, considering my driving habits!

Congrats on the excellent mileage, :) I, personally have never reached that. My personal best is 9.3L/100 on a very flat highway that is double lane 60% of the time although it was very early on in the history of my car. I would suspect that my mileage is improved somewhat by now.

Unfortunately that great gas mileage is just one mement in time (albeit a good one). I have tracked my mileage since 'Day 1' and over 40 fillups I have an average of 15.6L/100 over 13,000 kms (7800 miles) as can be seem by "My Fuelly" badge in my signature. Unfortunately I still think 15.6 is still a little high, but it is coming down over summer with a little bit more highway driving.

Terry

I too was surprised at how good that was! It's crept up to over 9.0 after driving a bit in the city, but still excellent mileage especially considering I was carrying myself and 4 adult passengers the entire way.

The power was excellent on the hills around Kenora. Some of them pretty steep too! Absolutely didn't have to strain the engine at all.

Edited by Powdered Toast Man

First road trip and wanted to give some feedback on my mileage. Car is just over 1500kms, was averaging 8.8L/100km to and from Buffalo was about 400+ kms in total with an avg speed of 120km/h

Car handled great, the power was there, but just wish the engine would 'learn' more on the driving habits...I guess it still needs some time to break in more.

I also bought and installed Thule roof racks on the way back. Aside from a bit of wind noise, it did not impact the fuel economy :)

First road trip and wanted to give some feedback on my mileage. Car is just over 1500kms, was averaging 8.8L/100km to and from Buffalo was about 400+ kms in total with an avg speed of 120km/h

Car handled great, the power was there, but just wish the engine would 'learn' more on the driving habits...I guess it still needs some time to break in more.

I also bought and installed Thule roof racks on the way back. Aside from a bit of wind noise, it did not impact the fuel economy :)

8.8? Wow that's great! Best I got was 8.9 but that didn't last the whole trip to Boston from Montreal.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did my first road trip this past weekend (July 23/24). It was a marathon trip of 10 hours down on Saturday and 10 hours back on Sunday. The entire trip was all highway, no driving around town the whole time.

On the way down, we were driving between 118 and 130 kph. On the first tank, I stopped to fill up after 787 kms. The low fuel light had not come on yet! The EVIC said I had 115 kms to empty, so I likely could have done 900 kms on that tank, if I had pushed it all the way to empty. The EVIC said the fuel economy was 8.4L/100 KMs and fuelly.com reported the same number. On the way back, I wasn't able to fill the tank up quite as fully as the first tank(which I really filled slowly to get it completely full) but I still managed to get 768 kms before filling up. I kept the cruise at 119 kph for pretty much the entire tank. This time the low fuel light was on and I had just under 70 kms to empty. The EVIC said 8.2L/100 KMs and fuelly.com agrees. It appears that the EVIC is fairly accurate when doing all highway driving. It is not overly accurate when doing mostly stop and go city driving, which is what most of my driving is normally.

I am going on an even longer trip in less than two weeks (1500 kms 1 way). I'm going to try keeping the cruise at no more than 115 kph on the first tank to see if I can get even better mileage than the last trip.

I have to say, I am very happy with my FWD 2011 Crew's highway fuel economy!

I have a front wheel drive 2010 sxt with the 3.5L v6 and drove on hwy 89 from Mount Forest to Cookstown with my wife, kids and all our luggage (A full load). I had the cruise control set for 100km/h and got a result of 8.8L/100km. I don't think this is bad at all!