Reliability

Alternative

In the market for a 2014 Journey and I found one for $11K with 40K miles.  It will be mainly used for city driving, family of four.  It only has the 4 cylinder and I've read it's under powered, but I'm more concerned about reliability.  Aside from the normal maintenance items, any issues at 50, 75, or 100k+ miles?  

you mean other than any other 6 yr old car, if its been maintained then shouldn't be nothing to worry about i have a 2014 crossroad with the 3.6 and love it have 102 k on it,only had 2 problems with mine 1 was the oil pressure sensor went bad was covered under my max warranty and also have had my upper rear trailing links replaced with adjustable ones as the OEM are non adjustable.,the 2.4 is easier to work on like the plugs but you are supposed to change them out every 30 k but $12 for the copper plugs and dont use anything different and half hr and your done.... i would change the plugs and have the transmission fluid serviced as well along with the coolant service also..also in city driving will not be that great if that brothers you

Very reliable if maintained.The 2.4 is a tank of an engine. Our 09 had the 2.4. Only issue we had was the AC compressor went bad on it. Covered under warranty and an intake runner valve that was also covered under warranty.  That price seems a little high though. You could get a newer one with the V6 for that price around me. Welcome to the forum. 

6 hours ago, jkeaton said:

You could get a newer one with the V6 for that price around me.

HOLD ON @jkeaton!!! Where the heck are you? Out of curiosity I looked at prices in my area a couple of weeks ago and it was higher. I also got the message below... yes, I'm in California. Probably why I couldn't find a cheap one :doh:

20200414_123612.jpg

On 4/14/2020 at 5:48 AM, jkeaton said:

Very reliable if maintained.The 2.4 is a tank of an engine. Our 09 had the 2.4. Only issue we had was the AC compressor went bad on it. Covered under warranty and an intake runner valve that was also covered under warranty.  That price seems a little high though. You could get a newer one with the V6 for that price around me. Welcome to the forum. 

At what mileage did the compressor go out and intake runner valve?  Is this a common issue?

Also, please share any leads with a V6 with less than 40K miles for $11K OTD.

When shopping for any car, I visit a few trusted review sites. I scan the negative reviews for anything that seems to be a common issue. I take all of them with a grain of salt knowing that angry and upset people are more likely to leave a review than someone that is out happily driving around. That is why I use common complaints as a guideline of expectation ONLY.

I like this site and find it to be a good indicator for my impressions afterward. Note the actual number of complaints against total number sold.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/

I check this site for recalls.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

I also check out Edmunds and Carfax. Again, I take them with a grain of salt and use common sense to weed out for what appears to be legitimate and common concerns.

Never buy a vehicle without an extensive test drive, preferably all day, and never buy a vehicle without a competent inspection on a hoist.

Edited by Summer Solstice

Let's face it, FCA products aren't the most reliable vehicles on the road.  But I am hugely disappointed in my Journey because it hasn't exploded into the giant disaster the internet said would happen.  Thinking it must be a fluke, I bought a Grand Caravan just for entertainment value.  It too has badly let me down, with nothing going wrong.

Seriously though, both my Dodges were at least $10k less than the nearest alternative.  If they are a bit less reliable than other brands, I can live with that.  $10k will buy a LOT of repairs.  And even the most reliable car on the road still needs some repairs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The 4 cylinder is probably more reliable if the two but you may appreciate the extra power of the v6. I have the 4 cylinder and love it! Reliability is questionable on all new vehicles so the important thing is that these are easy and cheap to fix for the most part. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2020 at 10:35 PM, Appalachian Journey said:

Nearing 200,000 on my 09 SE with few issues. The 2.4 is a bad fit. I'd buy another Journey, but not one with a 4 cylinder.

In May of 2020 when you posted this I had just over 187,000 miles on my 09 SXT. I'm at 234,406 now and just curious how much yours is up to at this point? 

I look after a 2.4 and a 3.6. I like working on 2.4, but driving the 3.6 is a bit more fun. Both are decent really. 

The 2.4 is a 2012 with around 100k miles, so coolant manifold(thermostat) crank position sensor and electronic throttle body unit were changed out, brakes all around.   Dealer swapped front cat under a recall campaign. Kinda routine maint items and not super expensive if you can diy. Driving style can affect vehicle reliability, teenagers beating on a car does not usually help much. ?

42 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

I look after a 2.4 and a 3.6. I like working on 2.4, but driving the 3.6 is a bit more fun. Both are decent really. 

The 2.4 is a 2012 with around 100k miles, so coolant manifold(thermostat) crank position sensor and electronic throttle body unit were changed out, brakes all around.   Dealer swapped front cat under a recall campaign. Kinda routine maint items and not super expensive if you can diy. Driving style can affect vehicle reliability, teenagers beating on a car does not usually help much. ?

I have a sister that has a "13 2.4, and we live in HILL country. She is "content" with performance until some hills they have to go up from a near stop. She is not the best at keeping ANY vehicle maintained properly(they don't DIY) and she recently had to replace the motor due to running it out of oil! Her husband HATES the DJ, says it's a dog (and not a Greyhound) with performance. Says it's only good for inner city "puddle jumping". YES the 2.4 is easy to maintain/repair, But I myself like the 3.6 and got both ours with over150k miles on them when we got them. I'm about 6 grand below for both to what they are still paying for for their base 2.4!

4 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

I have a sister that has a "13 2.4, and we live in HILL country. She is "content" with performance until some hills they have to go up from a near stop. She is not the best at keeping ANY vehicle maintained properly(they don't DIY) and she recently had to replace the motor due to running it out of oil! Her husband HATES the DJ, says it's a dog (and not a Greyhound) with performance. Says it's only good for inner city "puddle jumping". YES the 2.4 is easy to maintain/repair, But I myself like the 3.6 and got both ours with over150k miles on them when we got them. I'm about 6 grand below for both to what they are still paying for for their base 2.4!

yep OIL is kind of mandatory for long engine life...i harp at my daughter about checking her oil as she is rural mail carrier but it doesn't do me no good,,,same for the grandkids might as well be talking to a stone wall LOL

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2022 at 12:35 PM, John/Horace said:

Not just teenagers, I was older than I care to admit before I really became diligent about car maintenance. I think maybe it's because I didn't grow up around that kind of example but fortunately I finally got there. :)