well i really messed up this time

2late4u

thought id put this out there for everyone who thinks they are invincible or it wont happen to me....on july 2 while helping my step son remodel his bathroom we had to gut it and remove the floor to replace some floor joist had that all done and was getting ready to put down the sub floor had to add one more nailing joist and while Joey was cutting the wood for the floor i went in to nail in the piece of wood and just as i was ready to do it i thought oh i need my gloves to be safe and turned to get them in the other room and was stepping on the joist with my left foot and it slipped and i fell down straddling the joist and my right knee hit the joist on the way down. well long story short after the trip to the ER  the official dig is a       closed displaced transverse fracture of the right patella  with damaged ligaments....in layman's term i broke the knee cap horizontally and tore the ligaments in half....this about as bad as it can get having surgery tomorrow and they say i will be in a cast from the cackle to hip for 4-6 weeks and then lots of painful rehab for the probally 3-6 months and then probably have to have surgery again to remove the wires the wrap around the knee cap and then more rehab. should make almost full recovery but they say probally never regain full strength to that leg and or knee with more possible problems with other stuff down the line....being diabetic 2 and 66 yrs old doesn't help...................BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Hang in there...  I'm just getting over an avulsion fracture at the acl and 2 tibial plateau fractures in the right knee joint.  Expect massive leg atrophy after your leg is out of the cast.  You're going to need PT!  I've been in PT for almost a year now 2 times per week.  PT is the only way...   Its like voluntary torture.  Be strong.  Don't quit.  You can get through any injury with a lot of work.  Best of luck to you sir.

Peace. 

thanks redtomatoman  ya iv already found a good blog on Facebook with everyone of the members have had some sort of knee injury, have been hearing some scary stories and some real encouraging ones. i always been a positive attitude person all my life, never been one to whine why me,but have to admit i have been thinking this whole week man if i had done something different or why me as i am the main person to help take care of the wife's back and hip problems and about 2 yrs ago she had total knee replacement that didnt go very good,so we are in kid of a bad predicament but the kids have been kicking in pretty good,as always they have their own lives and jobs. but ill toughen up and i am determined to beat this setback and get well, at 66 yrs old ( me) my dad was still outworking me till he turned about 80 he started slowing down but kept going till he was 82  he was a real workhorse... but EVERYBODY protect them knees as this a lot worse than a broken leg 

Hope the surgery goes (has gone) well.

When the PT time comes you will likely get that rush of "they are all looking at the old weakling" feeling. Take a deep breath, suck it up, and do everything they tell you to do. They are professionals and they will see you from that standpoint. You're hurt and they are there because helping you is what they have chosen to do.

Good luck and keep on

Image result for keep on truckin

Edited by Summer Solstice

• 2 weeks later...

well just went to the dr today 13 days past surgery, have a real long rail road track going down from about 5 inches above the knee to about 4 inch below the knee, x rat looked great he said he removed the brace and also the ace wrap and then showed me how to put it back on since he said i could take it off for a sit down shower only. he said when standing still i could put a bit of weight on it but not to try to take a step with weight on it.suppose to go back in 2 more weeks ,he said rehab wont start for at least 4 more weeks from now. looks like a long road to go but i have some great family helping me so its all good....LOL that hurt.

• 5 weeks later...

week 6 past surgery dr giving me a good report on my knee, said no P.T. for me yet , he says sometimes they get to aggressive with it and do damage,so told me to continue what i am doing and see me in 2 weeks so i said can that be 3 weeks and he said why 3 and said well i have trip planned to go play poker at the casnio and he said do it and win extra $$ for him as well. So i got in the drivers side of the journey and had took off my brace,and had plenty of room and went for a drive didnt have no problems and felt real comfortable so i am ready to go now,tired of sitting in this chair for 2 months ......

I am doing a lot better each day, still cant get rid of my limp and i can only bend my knee 90 degrees, it is still swelled a bit and tight but i am not slowing down got to get better. getting ready for that casnio trip on Sept 7 and noticed i had 6400 ( no reminder message)on this oil change so thought well its a nice morning and the wife's asleep ( so she cant bitch at me for doing this) so time to get the oil changed, cleaned the cabin air filter and also the engine air filter. all done and ready for the trip cant wait i love my poker game

well the poker game is going to have to wait a long time for me, just got back from the ER and they say my patella tendon has came loose from the bone as it did before so I have to wait for Tues morning to see the surgeon and see what he says. 7 weeks of rehab down the drain, and back to square 1 again:gaah:

• 1 month later...

well the update on my knee with the mri said the tendon had come apart but the patella wasn't broke, so on sept 17 had surgery again. dr comes to me after the surgery says I really dont know what to tell you your tendon wasn't torn apart, looks like it is healing great but your patella is broken so he had to drill 3 holes thur the center from the top to the bottom and then thread stainless steel wire thur the holes and then then twist them tight to hold the bone together, he said i dont know why the mri was so wrong.so anyways i am about 3 weeks past the surgery, the staples have come out and just putting reg weight while walking with crutches, no pt yet but this feels really weird and tight having that wire in there and i can only bend my knee just a bit. good news after a lot of future pain and suffering i should get all my knee flexing back that i will need but usually the wires will have to be removed somewhere down the road about 6- 8 months and they have to cut  about the exact amount they had to the first 2 times which is about 3 inches below the knee to about 4 inches above the knee. takes about 20 staples to close it.but right now no real pain just a pain in the arse as i cant hardly do anything i really want to

• 2 months later...

well i am doing a lot  better with the knee, have been going to rehab for about 3 weeks , getting better but still a ways from normal but they said it will probally be at least a yr to get back to almost normal. doctor is talking about when i go back to see him dec 27 for x ray and then he said he is thinking we need to remove the wire from my knee as the one end of it is pushing on the skin on the side of my knee looks like a big pimple with out the white head on it...LOL doesn't hurt but is a bit sore if you press on it....bad thing is when they remove the wire they have to cut you wide open again, like they did for the first surgery...dam that is about 20 staples..oh well has to be done ....you all take care of your knee caps...............

Keep the faith brother....I had18 months of rehab, 4 surgeries including a total knee replacement when I put my femur through my knee and broke the tibia plateau. I walk pretty good, a slight limp.  Cold damp  weather kills Me so AZ here I come (as soon as my son finishes college).  Do what they tell you, you’ll come out fine. :)