Spark plug replacement

km-04

Went to the dealership for an oil change. The service person said the DJ schedule stated the spark plugs need to be replaced at the current mileage. I asked how much and he said $185. I politely differed to later and said thank you. $185 to change spark plugs? Are the recommended spark plugs made of gold or something? Am I the only one who thinks that sounds high? Geesh, just had to get that out of my system.

Which engine?

on the 6 they should be replaced around 100k (on the 09 at least) but to do it you have to take the intake manifold off, thus the high charge.  I was lucky, my DJ was in the shop getting a new intake manifold so my service manager changed the plugs at the same time (82k miles).  A little early, but all I paid for was $60 for plugs.  No labor.

Dang Fred, I did forget to mention that little detail, thanks for reminding me. I have the 3.6 L V6. Yep, coming up on 100k soon. No such luck here, it would be just for the plugs and labor.

I miss the days of popping the hood and grabbing a wrench/ratchet and gettin to business.....

well i watched a you tube on doing it and even as cheap as i am i think i will defer to the dealership or a local trusted mech as seams like like a lot of wiring has to be undone and since i have the lifetime warranty think ill just let them do it so it will be on record and as the older i get i second guess myself on things, maybe if i had watched someone do it in person i might try it. oh well better to be then sorry.......actually have been watching the dealerships for a service coupon on the tuneup havent sen anything in a long time its like they dont run service discounts anymore?

Edited by 2late4u

30 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

well i watched a you tube on doing it and even as cheap as i am i think i will defer to the dealership or a local trusted mech as seams like like a lot of wiring has to be undone and since i have the lifetime warranty think ill just let them do it so it will be on record and as the older i get i second guess myself on things, maybe if i had watched someone do it in person i might try it. oh well better to be then sorry.......actually have been watching the dealerships for a service coupon on the tuneup havent sen anything in a long time its like they dont run service discounts anymore?

Really? I just watched a video also and there was no wiring to undo, just unplug the clip from the coil pack. Granted this is the 2.4 L engine and I have the 3.6. Is it that much difference between the two?

There is a world of difference between the 3.6 and 2.4.  The 2.4 is "Remove engine beauty cover, unbolt coil packs, remove coil packs, remove spark plugs, installation is reverse. The end."

3.6 requires removal of the intake manifold and temporary re-routing of several cables in the process.  It is physically impossible to get to them without removing the intake.  The plugs are RER8ZWYCB4 (iridium plugs, they sell for about $7/each, you need 6).  $180 for that engine, with parts, labor, and a 10% shop fee is not unreasonable.  It's about an hour long job for a well trained mechanic ($120/hour in labor, $40 in parts, +10% shop fees = $176, local tax laws could easily account for the other $10).

Edited by bfurth

Thanks for the info guys, jkeaton and bfurth. I am glad you all gave me the lowdown on the differences. Maybe I won't try doing this myself. I am, by nature, a cheap bastard. If I can do it myself and save money I'm all for it, which I thought was the case here. Obviously I was way wrong on that. I just remember when everything was pretty much right there when you opened the hood and had easy access and didn't need special tools to do it.

2late4u, we apparently watched 2 different videos, sorry man. I just wasn't seeing what you were seeing, hence my confusion.

Try this video.  Also, ignore the model years - they're wrong on the early end, and don't matter since the 3.6L is the same for all Journeys that have one.  You don't "need" any special tools (you should use a torque wrench, and most DIY parts stores should be happy to rent you one).  You can definitely save $140 by doing it on your own, IF you want to spend the potentially 2+ hours figuring it out.  It's always a question of what your time is worth to you.  And whether or not you trust the information gleaned from this video.

I'd also recommend checking your local library system to see if they subscribe to any kind of online service manuals.  There's a decent chance they do, in which case you have much more detailed information available to you than you realize.

4 hours ago, bfurth said:

Try this video.  Also, ignore the model years - they're wrong on the early end, and don't matter since the 3.6L is the same for all Journeys that have one.  You don't "need" any special tools (you should use a torque wrench, and most DIY parts stores should be happy to rent you one).  You can definitely save $140 by doing it on your own, IF you want to spend the potentially 2+ hours figuring it out.  It's always a question of what your time is worth to you.  And whether or not you trust the information gleaned from this video.

I'd also recommend checking your local library system to see if they subscribe to any kind of online service manuals.  There's a decent chance they do, in which case you have much more detailed information available to you than you realize.

lol,,, after watching this shit ,,now i know ill take it to the dealer worst video i have ever seen

km, it takes a lot of patience and time to change those plugs. After helping someone do the job, I am saving up to take mine to the dealer/mechanic when needed. My dealer quoted $250 to my friend, but after actually doing it I believe it might be worth it. I think I am on that same, 'As I get older, as cheap as I may be, I prefer to let someone else do the work'. If there is an issue, you can just bring it back.

With that said, I do miss the days of just pulling the wires out and unscrewing the plugs...it seemed to work just fine DAMNIT!!!

• 2 years later...

weather you have the 2.4 or the 3.6 you will also have to buy a spark plug socket that is magnetic as well as the hole the plugs go into are about 3-6 inches deep, i change my daughters 2.4 plugs for her and bought a plug socket but it wasn't magnetic just had the rubber plug that is suppose to hold it in and it still keeps falling oust of the socket so i grabbed a 6 inch piece of air line tube off my wife's oxygen concentrate ( one of the old tubed that is) and stuck it onto a small Phillips screwdriver and the other end fits over the connector on the plug and that way i can install the plug hand tight before using the ratchet to tighten it....

$185 seams like a pretty good price from a dealership for OEM replacements.

I'm a cheap-o too.

Yes, I was very nervous at the thought of removing the intake, but after the fact, it's not really that big of a deal.  Just takes a bit time and patience.  It took me an entire, but leisurely, Saturday morning to replace the plugs.  

I'm very glad I went through the process to learn how to change my plugs myself, as it turned out when doing the plugs, I found one of the spark plug tubes was filled with oil due to a gasket leak.  If I would have had the car at a dealership, that would have tacked on another $200-$300 (or more) to the bill.  I was able to cleanup the oil, change the plugs, put it all back together, then research how to fix the spark plug tube gasket.  On another occasion I then went back in, this time even further in, and pulled the valve cover to replace the tube gasket and valve cover gasket.  All of this is well outside my comfort zone, but again, after the fact, it wasn't difficult, nor require specialized skills or tools.  YouTube and this forum are my friend.

lol you tube is the greatest teacher there is,if only we would have had it back 30-40 yrs ago,, if you get a chance watch fix it angel he is really great but he mostly works on imports, but this guy does more with just one hand than most of us do with two hands i watch it all the time

• 7 months later...

Well, here we are 3 years after I went through this post and I'm now considering changing my spark plugs. I am not at the 100k mark, but with 74k on the clock and 6 years +/- on the car, I am considering getting them changed now. 

I'm more curious on everyone's thoughts on this?  Am I being overly cautious or would it be a good idea? No issues with the car, still running like a champ, I just feel a little (Little) less umph going up those mountains. I've maintained everything else and the plugs would almost be the only original maintenance part on the car (well, and the brakes - still have over 40% left on them). Getting ready for another big trip, which is why this pipe into my head. 

Thoughts???

well 6 yrs of heat and miles might take their toll on the plugs wouldn't hurt to do it then you will be set for another 6 yrs you might as well do the coolant change as well as the the transmission service as well, thats what i did at around 95 k last yr i let the dealership do it since i have the max warranty , but its on record if i should have any problems down the line, and yep kind of pricey at the dealership but oh well you cant take it with you........P.S. actually had the trans done at 60 k and then redone again at the 95 K   first time it was around 150 the second time was higher i think it was around 215

Edited by 2late4u

A little early for the plugs, you will get codes if they are malfunctioning. At a 100k miles I only had 10 thou of wear on electrodes.

Was-doing oil cooler replacement so plugs changed too.   Fluids more important, pricier repair if a break down. Upstream O2 does fuel trim rich/lean,  it’s even early for that, but gas is expensive and that might improve fuel economy slightly, plugs wouldn’t.  My 2 cents.

Edited by John/Horace

On 7/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, 2late4u said:

change as well as the the transmission service as we

Well, I am one of the lucky ones that had their transmission go out on them while still under warranty in 2019. New tranny installed and coolant flushed at that time. I believe i was in the 40k range at that time, so I am good there. Plugs are on my mind probably because I'm old school. Like I said, car is running great just not used to not doing plugs regularly. 

I appreciate the advise. 

• 1 year later...
On 2021-07-09 at 12:36 AM, Armando G said:

Well, I am one of the lucky ones that had their transmission go out on them while still under warranty in 2019. New tranny installed and coolant flushed at that time. I believe i was in the 40k range at that time, so I am good there. Plugs are on my mind probably because I'm old school. Like I said, car is running great just not used to not doing plugs regularly. 

I appreciate the advise. 

The coolant Chrysler uses in all their products has a 10 year, 240,000 km lifespan. Unless the coolant was contaminated with transmission fluid-I would call that impossible-that flush was a waste of time. But you received the work under warranty so no worries for you but this is how dealers pad their profits and how technicians make more money because they are forced to work in a flat rate system of renumeration.