clunk sound when accelerating

Anyone had experienceof having a clunk sound when gas pedal is pressed.

During my drivng when i release my foot on the gas and press back i hear a clunk sound.

but when i gently press it there is no clunk. other than that egine is running well.

i have DJ 2014 Limited 3.6

please anyone throw back infos.

Thanks for all comments and advise....

However...The clunk sound came from the front area or engine area....while cruising even slow when a release my foot on the gas pedal and press back I heard one clunk sound , evrytime I do this I hear it. but if I gently press it there is no clunk sound.

THanks Eric

Edited by Eric Evans

Kinda sounds like a motor or trans mount. Hard acceleration will make the motor "twist" and make the clunk. Remember these engines are sideways so there is a front mount.

I agree... Should be pretty apparent to ANY mechanic. You should be able to tell by yourself as well. Have someone rev the engine while you look in the engine bay. It should not move much if at all. If the mount is bad it will be obvious.

• Official Dodge Support

hello Guys,

Just pick up the DJ after reporting the clunk when acceleration.

THis is a what the dealre mechanic found out.... BOTH FRONT AXLE NEED RETORQUE.

CLUNK NOISE IS GONE.

Eric Evans,

Happy to hear the noise issue was sorted out.

Did your dealer mention the cause of the component going out of torque spec.?

• Official Dodge Support

Does this front axle retorqueing apply to both FWD and AWD DJ's? Anytime I start accelorating I get that slight clunk (more of a knock sound). Happens just once each time I drive it. I thought it was something electrical...

The issue is vehicle specific and doesn't apply to all DJ's, either AWD or FWD, so I recommend taking your vehicle to a dealership to be formally diagnosed. It could turn out to be a similar issue, but it also could be something completely separate.

• 2 months later...

I bought Journey this March and I have similar problem. The technician says its ABS kicking in and the sound is normal. I gave this solution to him but they say its not the AXle problem but normal to all Journeys as the ABS is kicked in.

Not happy!!!

I bought Journey this March and I have similar problem. The technician says its ABS kicking in and the sound is normal. I gave this solution to him but they say its not the AXle problem but normal to all Journeys as the ABS is kicked in.

Not happy!!!

Try another dealer. Take them on a test drive with you and show them. Force the issue. ABS does not kick in unless there is wheel slippage or skidding detected.

Mine does this. Feels and sounds like a transmission clunk in my DJ. Resuming the cruise control will cause it or sometimes reapplying the accelerator after a coast will cause it. Are we talking about the same thing here? Should I have my front axles checked? I have always assumed it was a tranny noise. Re-torqued implies that axles were still tight but a clunk in the axle says to me that something came loose. If so, I'd say it was a re-tightening or securing of something related to the axle. That's mildly frightening.

I think that checking the axles is part of the routine dealership inspection. Is it not?

Peace.