2011 R/T , In a word: disappointed

klug

Summary: We enjoy driving our Journey and find the layout and features class leading for the price, but are dismayed with the quality of the components and the dealership's service. Short of cancelling the remaining debt on our Journey, we will never find a reason to by another Chrysler product.

Background: When the time came to add a seven passenger vehicle to our family fleet, I started researching online (including this forum) for a suitable candidate. Our parameters were: AWD, occasional 7 passenger seating, comfort for 5, and of course, value. Being a devoted Subaru fan (last 3 new vehicles were Subaru, still own 2), I wanted a Tribeca, but between the cost, complexity of the nav/infotainment system and cost, I had serious reservations. We loved the Ford Flex with Ecoboost, but cost and availablility were issues. We settled on the Journey because it had features we really liked, adequate power and fuel economy with the Pentastar and awesome price and financing. I had considered the known problems identified on this forum and thought surely they would have been resolved by the fourth year of production of this model. Sigh, I guess I'm just an eternal optimist...

Pros:

- Quiet cabin

- Powerful motor (3.6)

- Nicely finished interior

- Great ergonomics and layout

- Easy to use infotainment/EVIC/Uconnect

Cons:

- Vague handling

- Rolly polly ride

- Cheapest quality components known to mankind (see following)

Warranty issues:

- Interior fit and finish on seat components

- BCM reflash (dead battery twice)

- Satellite radio replaced

- Rear differential pinion seal replaced

- Rust bubbling under paint on passenger side door and front fender (no chips)

- Front brake rotors warped at 40K km

Now, while no vehicle is perfect, I have to say this vehicle has had more issues in the last 20 months than our last 3 Subarus combined. The dealership was fine with replacing the radio, reflashing the BCM and replacing the seal, but these last couple of days have put me over the edge. I just got the vehicle back from the dealership bodyshop where they fixed the rust: the paint does not match. It is obvious the door and fender have been repainted. I stopped at the dealership for an oil change and inquired about how to proceed regarding the warped front rotors, specifically if I needed to have the vehicle booked in and diagnosed. After describing the problem, the service rep said no, that it was pretty obvious and I should just call Customer Care if I thought that it was something I should be reimbursed for as it was outside the 1yr/20k km window. OK, I called Customer Care this morning and they opened a file said they "may" be able to "assist" with fixing the brakes as it was outside the warranty window, but I would need to have the problem diagnosed. Grrr. Called the service rep I spoke with: nothing under warranty, would have to pay for the diagnosis. Called Customer Care back and asked, OK, how much "assitance" might I be eligible for? 100%? 1%? Sorry, we can only discuss that after the diagnosis. So, they want my money up front with only a vague possibilty of reimbursement, even to only turn the rotors or put back on the same crap components it came with. Sorry, but I'll fix it myself (seeing as the brakes are no longer under warranty) with aftermarket parts. Chrysler will never see another dime of my money.

Now, maybe my view is skewed. Do all Dodge brakes need service at 40k km? I dunno. All I can compare it to is my experience: over 35 years, 11 vehicles (7 makes), and 6 of them new from the dealer, I have never, EVER have had warped rotors or required brake service prior to 100k km. Regardless, I am done with Chrysler products and will make it a point to relay my ownership experience to everyone I meet when the topic turns to vehicles, so as to save anyone the disappointment.

Hopefully this review will help those doing their pre-purchase research. Buyer beware.

sorry to hear about your problems and to be fair ive had to have my rotors fixed twice under warrenty way to soon to have happened but other than that i love my journey. guess you should have bought the Subaru, that you wanted but didnt want to pay more money for. i have owened dodges all my life along with a 2 GM and 1 ford, and they all had some problems with them at one time or another. and this is the first dodge that ive had problems with the rotors warping and when they need to be done again ill do them myself. i guess dodge while trying to offer a good price on their cars went to cheap with the smaller rotors than they should have or too cheap of a parts vender. oh well hope you have great luck with your next car...

Do all Dodge brakes need service at 40k km?

Some have reported the same problem at 20k or 30k. Strangely enough I did not have this problem (yet, I'm at 32k), but Fiat here acknowledged the problem and replaces the brakes (and some other parts supposedly causing the problem) with no charge if you complain.

Edit: obviously I'm referring to the Journey/Freemont, don't know about other Dodge models.

Edited by Lebowski

My 2013 Journey is fine in the month I've owned it.. And my 2005 Chylser Pacifica had no major issues in the 8 years and 110k miles I owned it and it did the Ohio Florida trip 6 times, 2 of which was pulling either a Ford Focus or a uhaul...And before that my 1996 Jeep Cherokee was absolutly fine when I sold it with 120k miles... I could go on, but the fact is that I'm a dedicated Chysler buyer and when I did the due dilligence of looking at around, felt that they still produce a far better product. But to each thier own.

I'm going to end by saying this-- Look around the roads and in the parking lots of your work.. I'm willing to place money there are more Chysler autos over Subaru. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Journey to anyone.

My 2013 Journey is fine in the month I've owned it.. And my 2005 Chylser Pacifica had no major issues in the 8 years and 110k miles I owned it and it did the Ohio Florida trip 6 times, 2 of which was pulling either a Ford Focus or a uhaul...And before that my 1996 Jeep Cherokee was absolutly fine when I sold it with 120k miles... I could go on, but the fact is that I'm a dedicated Chysler buyer and when I did the due dilligence of looking at around, felt that they still produce a far better product. But to each thier own.

I'm going to end by saying this-- Look around the roads and in the parking lots of your work.. I'm willing to place money there are more Chysler autos over Subaru. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Journey to anyone.

Amen Brother!!!!

I have to be honest. I drove a lot of cars before buying the DJ. The turbo forester finished second in the mix. BUT it was overpriced and cheap on the inside. And those Subaru guys do not negociate. . . Any Subaru comparable to my DJ is $10-12,000 more in price. If you like blown head gaskets at 100,000 miles, buy a Subaru.

My opinion. (but head gasket thing is a fairly well known fact)

Peace.

Edited by redtomatoman

• Official Dodge Support

Summary: We enjoy driving our Journey and find the layout and features class leading for the price, but are dismayed with the quality of the components and the dealership's service. Short of cancelling the remaining debt on our Journey, we will never find a reason to by another Chrysler product.

Background: When the time came to add a seven passenger vehicle to our family fleet, I started researching online (including this forum) for a suitable candidate. Our parameters were: AWD, occasional 7 passenger seating, comfort for 5, and of course, value. Being a devoted Subaru fan (last 3 new vehicles were Subaru, still own 2), I wanted a Tribeca, but between the cost, complexity of the nav/infotainment system and cost, I had serious reservations. We loved the Ford Flex with Ecoboost, but cost and availablility were issues. We settled on the Journey because it had features we really liked, adequate power and fuel economy with the Pentastar and awesome price and financing. I had considered the known problems identified on this forum and thought surely they would have been resolved by the fourth year of production of this model. Sigh, I guess I'm just an eternal optimist...

Pros:

- Quiet cabin

- Powerful motor (3.6)

- Nicely finished interior

- Great ergonomics and layout

- Easy to use infotainment/EVIC/Uconnect

Cons:

- Vague handling

- Rolly polly ride

- Cheapest quality components known to mankind (see following)

Warranty issues:

- Interior fit and finish on seat components

- BCM reflash (dead battery twice)

- Satellite radio replaced

- Rear differential pinion seal replaced

- Rust bubbling under paint on passenger side door and front fender (no chips)

- Front brake rotors warped at 40K km

Now, while no vehicle is perfect, I have to say this vehicle has had more issues in the last 20 months than our last 3 Subarus combined. The dealership was fine with replacing the radio, reflashing the BCM and replacing the seal, but these last couple of days have put me over the edge. I just got the vehicle back from the dealership bodyshop where they fixed the rust: the paint does not match. It is obvious the door and fender have been repainted. I stopped at the dealership for an oil change and inquired about how to proceed regarding the warped front rotors, specifically if I needed to have the vehicle booked in and diagnosed. After describing the problem, the service rep said no, that it was pretty obvious and I should just call Customer Care if I thought that it was something I should be reimbursed for as it was outside the 1yr/20k km window. OK, I called Customer Care this morning and they opened a file said they "may" be able to "assist" with fixing the brakes as it was outside the warranty window, but I would need to have the problem diagnosed. Grrr. Called the service rep I spoke with: nothing under warranty, would have to pay for the diagnosis. Called Customer Care back and asked, OK, how much "assitance" might I be eligible for? 100%? 1%? Sorry, we can only discuss that after the diagnosis. So, they want my money up front with only a vague possibilty of reimbursement, even to only turn the rotors or put back on the same crap components it came with. Sorry, but I'll fix it myself (seeing as the brakes are no longer under warranty) with aftermarket parts. Chrysler will never see another dime of my money.

Now, maybe my view is skewed. Do all Dodge brakes need service at 40k km? I dunno. All I can compare it to is my experience: over 35 years, 11 vehicles (7 makes), and 6 of them new from the dealer, I have never, EVER have had warped rotors or required brake service prior to 100k km. Regardless, I am done with Chrysler products and will make it a point to relay my ownership experience to everyone I meet when the topic turns to vehicles, so as to save anyone the disappointment.

Hopefully this review will help those doing their pre-purchase research. Buyer beware.

klug,

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing all of these issues with your DJ.

While your factory warranty is taking care of the majority of the issues, the brake concern remains.

Have you had the brakes inspected by your Chrysler Service Facility? As your Customer Care Manager would have informed you, Chrysler Canada is certainly interested in reviewing for assistance after being able to confirm the issue at hand.

Please send me either your VIN or CAIR# if you require additional assistance as I can assure you quality and customer service are at the forefront of Chrysler Canada's "raison d'etre".

just my added thought ..... my '12 R/T has also had its fair shares of issues .... it seems to like to be in the shop at least once a month. My brake service was due at 35,000, had that done and everything checked out "GREAT!" ...... 3,000kms later, front pads and rotors absolutely shot ! .... We raised hell with the dealer and got absolutely no where, they were flat out rude ... contacted Chrysler Canada and they were really great with helping us !! .... after the dealer flat out told us there was "nothing they can do" about the brakes, even after I brought up HOW can they go from "GREAT!" to being shot and needing replacement in less than 3,000kms ?? .... Chrysler Canada called them and laid down the law with this crummy stealership and 3 days later I had my R/T booked in to have the brakes replaced.

While it's still in nearly monthly (latest was replacing BOTH drivers side windows ... never had to do that to any vehicle ive ever owned)

Good luck ! .... Chrysler Canada will do whats right ... they came through for me.

• 2 years later...

Since my last post, my Journey has required:

- Rear axle seal replaced (again)

- Transmission cooler lines replaced due to failure at crimp joint (NOT under warranty)

- Fog lamp assembly replaced because you can't just by a bulb

- Cracks appearing on both faces of the speedometer and tachometer

- License plate mounting bolts rusted into mounting rivnuts in rear hatch, resulting in rivnuts being torqued out of the fiberglass during removal and needing to be drilled out and replaced with well nuts

It has now been sold and replaced with a 2015 Subaru Outback. For those of you who have good luck with and continue to enjoy good success with Chrysler products - good for you - I was hoping to be one of you. Your experience however, does not negate my ownership experience. If I had been well treated by the service departments of the dealerships I visited regarding my vehicle problems, it would have ended up being an overall neutral experience. The fact I was continually trying to be upsold with unnecessary services, but fighting to have the broken things fixed has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I will never buy another Chrysler product. As I said before, no vehicle brand is perfect, but I'm going back to what I've had the best luck with so far.

Edited by klug

You need to have an excellent Dealer who will back up the sale. I am lucky to have such a Dealer. My last Explorer was a 1996, when I switched to Jeep and never looked back. I actually went in to get a Cherokee Trailhawk, but it was priced $5,000 over my well equipped Crossroad. Too bad that Jeep has begun to charge for the name! Enjoy your Outback. My daughter wants one so bad that she can taste it!