Low engine oil - no warning light

Toknow

I have a 2010 Journey R/T AWD, 3.5, roughly 19k miles on it. The other week I was driving it I thought the engine was running rough and it smelled a little hot. The temp gauge was in the normal range. So I checked the engine oil because the EVIC system threw an oil change required message, but I was still 500 miles from my next change which I do every 3000.

Well the stick was almost bone dry. It might have had a drop on the very tip of the stick. I added a quart and that at least got me to the low end of the SAFE range on the stick. I can handle it if the engine uses a little oil, but what concerns me is how low it was and NO LIGHT on the dash ever indicated it was well below the SAFE operating range.

Has this happened to anyone else?

by the time the low oil light comes on you are in trouble, it is not a replacement method of not checking your oil or coolant. as low as you were was about 2 and half quarts low. any lower and damage could have been real bad. better keep an eye on your dipstick at least once every 2 weeks. only takes a few minutes and well worth the time. in case who ever changed your oil maybee doesnt tighen the oil plug tight or any other problem that comes up.........

I think if I am going through that much oil then there is a bigger problem with my engine. A warning light should come on before you are close to doing damage. I don't know too many drivers with newer vehicles that have to check their oil that often. If this is a continuing problem I am going to get rid of the vehicle. I wonder what service will say. I only had 2.5k on the oil and I was already down 2.5q, that's a quart every 1000m. A warning light should come once it is outside of the SAFE operating range otherwise there is no reason to have the light other than to tell the owner you just killed your engine... right?

by the time the low oil light comes on you are in trouble, it is not a replacement method of not checking your oil or coolant. as low as you were was about 2 and half quarts low. any lower and damage could have been real bad. better keep an eye on your dipstick at least once every 2 weeks. only takes a few minutes and well worth the time. in case who ever changed your oil maybee doesnt tighen the oil plug tight or any other problem that comes up.........

Hmmm. . . Yes, the dummy oil light is not a replacement for checking your oil, but I should check it every two weeks?!? I'm going to begin looking more closely at my oil levels, but WHY should I have to do this? In a brand new engine? I have read threads regarding dry dipsticks in others' journeys and have frankly ignored them thinking that there must be something else to blame with those cases. Is there something going on here? My understanding of an engine is that there is no reason that a healthy engine should use enough oil to have a dry dipstick within 3000 miles. The dealer has changed my oil at 1000, 5000, and most recently at 9000 miles with conventional oil. I plan to switch to synthetic after the first year. I have not been checking my dipstick between oil changes because the engine does not do anything that leads me to believe that it is using anything but a nominal amount of oil between changes. I certainly do not have a leak as I park in the garage with a cardboard pad under the engine. I do pay attention to that. If any leaks do occur while under warranty, the dealer and Chrylser will hear about it.

My advice to you Toknow is to take your journey to the dealer and have them check out the engine and figure out why you are going through oil like that. At 19K, that engine is just a baby. Either they figure out the problem and fix it or they tell you everything is ok. If you do burn up your engine, at least you have that history. I would have them check the dipstick. It may not be correct for your engine. Who knows? My understanding is that an engine does not go dangerously low on oil and not get hot. Anyway, low oil is not something to mess with. Good Luck. Keep us posted on what happens.

Peace.

Cars don't have oil level sensors, they have pressure sensors. When the pressure drops to the point where the light comes on it is likely too late. Consider that the OP said he smelled burning and the engine was running rough. He may have caused damage already - he needs to have a leakdown test performed on his engine.

And if something happened you can rest assured that Chrysler would try to pin the blame on the owner for not having checked the oil level each day.

In modern engines, the use of ANY oil is unacceptable - then again we are dealing with a bunch of Italians here. Look at the crap they produce for the masses.

I've read that Chrysler thinks that 1 litre (quart) of oil use per 600 miles (1000 km or so) is considered 'normal'.

Somehow I don't think a judge would agree.

Edited by bramfrank

As I said earlier I added a quart and it looked like it brought it up to lower portion of the SAFE area of the dipstick. Now this was after the engine was running. I checked it yesterday after it had been parked several hours and the dipstick reading was closer to the top of the SAFE reading probably about 3/4 of the way up. So maybe I was not as low on oil as I thought. Is it true that the oil level reading is more accurate after the engine has been idle for a duration? As I said earlier something smelled hot but the engine temp never got above what it normally reads but it was a cold day also.

no a cold engine gives a more accurate reading,a engine that has been running needs to sit for a few minutes before checking the oil but it will still have some oil that has not drained back into the pan for it to be the same as a cold engine , but not far off enought to be a concern JUST check your oil and coolant once a week or every other week .you never will know when you could have a problem or leaks that you dont know.after all you spent over 20k for the car only takes a few minutes time........

• Official Dodge Support

As I said earlier I added a quart and it looked like it brought it up to lower portion of the SAFE area of the dipstick. Now this was after the engine was running. I checked it yesterday after it had been parked several hours and the dipstick reading was closer to the top of the SAFE reading probably about 3/4 of the way up. So maybe I was not as low on oil as I thought. Is it true that the oil level reading is more accurate after the engine has been idle for a duration? As I said earlier something smelled hot but the engine temp never got above what it normally reads but it was a cold day also.

Toknow,

The oil should be checked when the vehicle has not been running for at least a few minutes. A cold engine will give a more accurate reading as the oil will flow back down after having been shut off for awhile. If anyone is having oil use issues that the dealer cannot solve they should call the Chrysler Assistance Center so a Chrysler tech can get involved with the issue. If you added a quart of oil and it was up near the top of the safe zone then it does not seem like you were down 2.5 quarts as you previously thought. Hopefully you do not have an oil issue as first thought but if it continues to be a concern please make an appointment to have the dealer check it out.

I always check my oil level in the morning after the vehicle has sat overnight I think that is the most accurate reading once a week minimum

For what its worth I use between 1 1/2-2qts per 5000 miles 10w30 synthetic and its consumption not leaking anywhere but I dont have any blue smoke on start up it seems to run fine

My dealer told me that Chrysler says 1qt per 600 miles is acceptable dont know how they come up with that figure but I have had two 3.3ltr engs & used NO oil between changes

Just checked my new 2012 R/T with 4300 km and the oil level is great ....right at the top were it was from new (3.6 VVT)....AWD.......a little change in colour though.......not clear anymore just a light tan..............I going to do my first oil change at 5000 km.........with Engine break-in I don't want to leave it in any longer than that.........IMO............Caper...........

Edited by caperinmuskoka

Isn't the 3.5L the same engine that has been around since 1993 in cars like the Intrepid & Charger? After the whole fuel rail thingy was fixed in the earlier years, that was regarded as a pretty darn good engine... a little gruff but still reliable.

To the OP- Where did you have your oil changed at? Based on your story, I think maybe they had something to do with it. Everyone should be pro-active when they get their fluids changed anywhere. That means check the dipstick in the parking lot before you drive away from the shop! Also check it after it has sat overnight to get the most accurate reading.

BTW a *little bit* of consumption is normal. Right now my new 2.4L is consuming about 1/4 qt every 5,000 miles. On my old Intrepid 2.7 it started out that way, but eventually burned 1 qt every 3,000 miles when I traded it in at 231k miles.

My 09 R/T doesn't use any oil at all. I change it every 6,000 miles with Mobil 1 syn. maybe I'm just lucky. I think once I added less then 1/2 a quart, just to get it right to the top of the safe mark. Make sure your fully filling it when the oil is changed, it uses more then 5 quarts!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2010 Journey R/T AWD, 3.5, roughly 19k miles on it. The other week I was driving it I thought the engine was running rough and it smelled a little hot. The temp gauge was in the normal range. So I checked the engine oil because the EVIC system threw an oil change required message, but I was still 500 miles from my next change which I do every 3000.

Well the stick was almost bone dry. It might have had a drop on the very tip of the stick. I added a quart and that at least got me to the low end of the SAFE range on the stick. I can handle it if the engine uses a little oil, but what concerns me is how low it was and NO LIGHT on the dash ever indicated it was well below the SAFE operating range.

Has this happened to anyone else?

hasn't happened to me but after a few oil changes I quickly realized that the journey drinks oil and goes through a lot, so I just keep on checking it now. Never had to with my other cars, but it is what it is :-)

My 09 R/T doesn't use any oil at all. I change it every 6,000 miles with Mobil 1 syn. maybe I'm just lucky. I think once I added less then 1/2 a quart, just to get it right to the top of the safe mark. Make sure your fully filling it when the oil is changed, it uses more then 5 quarts!

that's a good point, I didn't realize this either at first. Most places you go for quick lube only do 5 quarts.

the oil light only tells you when the oil PRESSURE is low . it does NOT tell you when you are getting low on oil, that is what the oil dip stick is there for. the same for your TEMP. light tells you when the engine is getting to hot, but it doesnt tell you when your low on coolant untill its to late.always look at the reservoir jug to make sure you have coolant.

the oil light only tells you when the oil PRESSURE is low . it does NOT tell you when you are getting low on oil, that is what the oil dip stick is there for. the same for your TEMP. light tells you when the engine is getting to hot, but it doesnt tell you when your low on coolant untill its to late.always look at the reservoir jug to make sure you have coolant.

Correct. And by the time the "red" oil light comes on it's probably too late - fried engine.

FWIW - I did have one vehicle, a 1993 Aerostar, that in addition to the oil light had a "Low Oil Level" light that would come on if the oil level fell below a quart low. There was a sensor in the oil pan.

All engines do "use" oil. Some more than others. From what I've heard 1,000 miles per qt seems to be the industry standard. If your engine is using excessive oil, first thing I'd check is the PCV valve. These can stick and when they do oil consumption will rise - sometimes dramatically.

It should be a regular habit to check the oil level via the dipstick at least once a week - preferably when the engine is cold, but if you have to do it while fueling, wait until you've finished fueling and then check the oil. It is the owner/operator's responsibility to maintain proper fluid levels while in operation. You can't blame the manufacturer if YOU let it get too low and the engine subsequent suffers major damage. Do not assume your engine doesn't use oil - they all do - and it's your responsibility to maintain proper oil level.

• 1 month later...

Looks to be going through a little more than 1.5q/3k. It did not go through this much initially. So what's wrong?

The dealerships 1q/1k is BS. I would believe for vehicle engineered and manufactured 20 years ago, but something is wrong when a newer engine is consuming more than a quart between oil changes.

This is probably the last Dodge I buy.