Wiper blades are garbage

My Journey is 2 years old to the day, and both wiper blades completely disintegrated within minutes.  My wife was driving in the rain at night, and the passenger wiper followed by the driver side had the rubber part contacting the glass separate from the main rubber part.  I looked at the rear and it was starting to go too (about 2").  $75 for new blades.

Two years!  Heck, I just sold a 1996 Ford and it still had the factory blades and they still wiped perfectly.  My 2011 Ford still has the factory blades too.

If the blades on your 2011 Ford are so great, purchase the same brand and put them on the Dodge.

$75 dollars is a bit steep for a full set of blades, but that kind of money can get you a good set of Rainex, or other name brand. (Note the the rear blade is only sold in one brand, and will be expensive.) 
If you're willing to accept frequent blade changes, 12.99 per blade on the front from walmart, and 15.99(?) for the rear. Change them yourself, and pocket the extra 20 dollars for the next time the blades fail.

(Edit: Realized you're from Ontario. $75 CAD sounds about right for blades)

Double edit: Probably a lost cause, but if your car is under the bumber to bumber still, you might be able to get the dealership to repair it for free.

Edited by NavalLacrosse

Michelin  blades from Costco $9 US, cheaper when on sale.

i change mine at least once a year, sometimes twice.  When they start smearing, they go. Not going to try and get years out of a $9 wiper blade  and have an accident cause I can’t see out of a 2 year old blade.....

1 hour ago, NavalLacrosse said:

If the blades on your 2011 Ford are so great, purchase the same brand and put them on the Dodge.

$75 dollars is a bit steep for a full set of blades, but that kind of money can get you a good set of Rainex, or other name brand. (Note the the rear blade is only sold in one brand, and will be expensive.) 
If you're willing to accept frequent blade changes, 12.99 per blade on the front from walmart, and 15.99(?) for the rear. Change them yourself, and pocket the extra 20 dollars for the next time the blades fail.

(Edit: Realized you're from Ontario. $75 CAD sounds about right for blades)

Double edit: Probably a lost cause, but if your car is under the bumber to bumber still, you might be able to get the dealership to repair it for free.

LOL I wish I knew who makes the blades for Ford.

I didn't buy the cheapest and installed myself. Hopefully they last.  The rear wasn't that expensive ($15?) and looks exactly the same.

I thought of the warranty thing, but I've found the warranty useless so far and besides, the dealer is closed due to coronavirus.

hate to tell you they were going bad before the fell apart, 2020 -2017 =5 yrs old any ways i use bosh icons great wipers but can be expensive,was just checking on amazon last nite the big wiper was $28 and the smaller one was $18,, they had went up quite a bit since the  last time i bought them they were about $24 for both and only replace your rear with mopar as most after market rear wipers dont give a clean wipe some they theirs do but iv tried every cheap brand and they dont work good on my journey only the oem mopar wipes clean and its about $18 for that tiny wiper..LOL

6 minutes ago, Dadof5 said:

LOL I wish I knew who makes the blades for Ford.

I didn't buy the cheapest and installed myself. Hopefully they last.  The rear wasn't that expensive ($15?) and looks exactly the same.

I thought of the warranty thing, but I've found the warranty useless so far and besides, the dealer is closed due to coronavirus.

wouldn't have been covered under warranty as they are a wear item

On 3/27/2020 at 6:05 PM, OhareFred said:

Michelin  blades from Costco $9 US, cheaper when on sale.

i change mine at least once a year, sometimes twice.  When they start smearing, they go. Not going to try and get years out of a $9 wiper blade  and have an accident cause I can’t see out of a 2 year old blade.....

I have used these on both my vehicles for years and change at least once a year. Good blades. Seems to me most manufacturers recommend change every six months.

Also, If you don't already:

Buy Rain-X glass treatment (either the spriter, or the wet-wipe application). read and follow the instructions. Apply it to your windshield, side windows, and rear, on every car you own.

You'll use your blades 1/4 as frequent as the water will bead and fly off the windshield at anything over 50mph, eliminating the need for wipers on the highway. I use it on both my cars, and I love it.

Yeah great stuff. Especially on older high milage cars with sand blasted windshields that haven’t been changed out yet.

Costco up north sell Michelin branded blades for $10 each that seem to hang together pretty good; wear item like the OP’s are saying.

Edited by John/Horace

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 2:39 PM, Armando G said:

96 Ford with good original blades... hard to believe. ;)

Low mileage, always garaged, and the wipers aren't used much. They last almost forever in those conditions.  The set on my 87 Chev passed the safety inspection with flying colours last year.  I also have an old convertible but the wipers are never used because it's never seen rain LOL.

• 3 weeks later...