Fogging

ZXBoy

Hey people,  Im having an issue with my 2013 DJ with the fogging up of all the windows. I turn on the defrost and it unfogs the windows a little but the side and rear windows stay foggy. Heat and temp is blowing is fine, I have checked to see if the HVAC drain was plugged up and it was fine, I can't see any water leaking inside the cabin so I don't think there is a heatercore leak. Sometimes i do smell a funny musty smell when I change over from defrost. It is not coolent that I'm smelling, I know what that smells like. It's like water is somehow in the vent system and causing the fogging, It's just like a heatercore problem but I dont smell any coolent.  Any idea's??  Thanks   

• Official Dodge Support
4 hours ago, ZXBoy said:

Hey people,  Im having an issue with my 2013 DJ with the fogging up of all the windows. I turn on the defrost and it unfogs the windows a little but the side and rear windows stay foggy. Heat and temp is blowing is fine, I have checked to see if the HVAC drain was plugged up and it was fine, I can't see any water leaking inside the cabin so I don't think there is a heatercore leak. Sometimes i do smell a funny musty smell when I change over from defrost. It is not coolent that I'm smelling, I know what that smells like. It's like water is somehow in the vent system and causing the fogging, It's just like a heatercore problem but I dont smell any coolent.  Any idea's??  Thanks   

Hi ZXBoy, I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Journey.  We understand you are reaching out to fellow forum members, however if you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer.
Rob
DodgeCares

Check the storage bins in the rear seat floor for water. Pull the front door sill trim then feel under the carpet for water. I had this issue and had water pooling under the carpet. On mine the top of the carpet was still dry to touch. I had to repair a leak then remove the carpet to dry it.

Hank

17 hours ago, Hankster said:

Check the storage bins in the rear seat floor for water. Pull the front door sill trim then feel under the carpet for water. I had this issue and had water pooling under the carpet. On mine the top of the carpet was still dry to touch. I had to repair a leak then remove the carpet to dry it.

Hank

If I may clarify, I think Hankster is  saying you should also check the door weather seal conditions and rear floor storage bin areas edges are still working / making a good seal  ?

Actually mine had water leaking in through the wiring harness push pin holes on the inside of the rocker panel. Had to seal up gaps in the body sealer on the bulkhead area. The water ran down into the rocker panel. The drains were stopped up with sound deadening foam, causing the water to leak into the car. Hope this helps.

Hank

6 hours ago, probak118 said:

If I may clarify, I think Hankster is  saying you should also check the door weather seal conditions and rear floor storage bin areas edges are still working / making a good seal  ?

The only way you can get under the carpet is to pull the threshold trim.

Hank

Well thank you all for your great advice, the winner here is YYZ!!   I pulled apart the recirculate motor and tested, (pain in the butt to get out with no stubby) that seemed to be working and not a stripped gear like some had suggested. When I was running all the vents I was almost sure that I saw the recirculate door not working. So anyway I put it all back together and to my amazement everything worked fine! so like YYZ stated the door must have been stuck and not bringing fresh air into the car. After a long test drive ZERO fogging  in the car now! So we can add another fix to this repetitious problem.   Thanks again for eveyone's input,

Glad you got it fixed.We have the same year Journey and I ran into this almost a year ago. I replaced the actuator but when I pulled the old one and just plugged it into the wiring harness it seemed to work. Some people report that tapping them can "wake them up" but there are 3 in the vehicle all the same so now I have a spare.

Edited by yyz

• 10 months later...

Having same issue. No moisture and all windows fogging up. Before I get too expensive with mechanics where is this re-circulate door specifically located. Pulled out cabin air filter and don’t see anything obvious. 

underneath the cabin filter just put your legs at the ceiling and your head on the floor by the firewall its a small black box that turns the shaft that the door is on, also check out you tube videos on dodge journey blend doors inop. there are 3 of them

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look. Have good heat control on both sides and blows good through all vents just can’t keep from heavy fog from forming. Hoping it’s just door stuck and not allowing any outside air in to mix

11 hours ago, awp said:

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look. Have good heat control on both sides and blows good through all vents just can’t keep from heavy fog from forming. Hoping it’s just door stuck and not allowing any outside air in to mix

dont forget that black box at the top of your windshield behind the mirror as it has something to do with moisture as well

No water anywhere or under the storage bins. Thinking it’s something out of my spectrum to fix at this point. Don’t thing A/C was working up to snuff near end of summer. Would low a/c refrigerant level cause fogging?

Yes, absolutely. Good observation. Can be topped up inside a heated shop with refrig and leak fixed.

I believe in extreme cold a/c is disabled to protect it, but it really helps remove humidity in winter a lot of the time.
If you have auto climate, leave the windshield defrost button lit up on dash, don’t turn it off.

Edited by John/Horace

Would leaving the front defrost button activated not override the other options like floor, front panels etc  ? It just seems to me when defrost is on, all air is directed only to that output; no floor / front panel heating. Maybe I am wrong, going to have to test that out next cold day.

It doesn’t matter what setting I have it on. Defrost only or mixing it. Fogging happens no matter what. I’ve had to resort to driving with windows down a crack to get some outside air in which helps with the fogging....but makes for a cold ride