Relocating the battery

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I replaced mine once with the walmart's Everstart. Walmart did not do the installation. the battery failed after 6 months, (in -40degF weather). My cost was $79.

I then replaced it the next day at a Goodyear service center. The DuraLast they gave me cost was $120, installed, with a 1yr labor warranty. It's lasted 1 Year so far, no issues. (Because Goodyear took my battery for the core charge, I didn't get a chance to return it to Walmart for a refund.)

Best battery I've had in any of my cars was Interstate. Not cheap, but never had an issue. Have no idea what is currently in my DJ... haven't had any issues in the 3 years I've owned it, and since it's still at the dealership (3 weeks) I can't check. 

Screenshot_20191112-133049_Chrome.jpg

32 minutes ago, Armando G said:

Best battery I've had in any of my cars was Interstate. Not cheap, but never had an issue. Have no idea what is currently in my DJ... haven't had any issues in the 3 years I've owned it, and since it's still at the dealership (3 weeks) I can't check. 

Screenshot_20191112-133049_Chrome.jpg

have always heard thoes are great batteries never had one till we bought my wife's medical scooters and 1 of the batteries was an interstate brand they stayed god for about 3 yrs and i replaced them with some cheaper ones thur battery plus but they are not holding up as good they cost me about 160 for both of them they were a Duracell brand, and i just found a interstate company that has her size  batteries in stock but they are about 220 for the 2 of them ,so as always you get what you pay for BUT when i have to get her some new batteries they will be the interstate brand

On 11/13/2019 at 8:31 AM, jkeaton said:

Interstate used to be a great battery. Not so much anymore.

I beg to differ, but a lot of it has to do with driving styles... or sitting in car styles. I've never bought Walmart's battery, but since the wifey works part time at an auto shop, I get a lot of stuff at cost, hence buying the more costly Interstate. I do know I will never buy an Auto Zone battery. Buddy of mine had a terrible time with it. 

On 10/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, Armando G said:

If you replace the battery with a good quality battery you should only have to deal with it 2-3 times during your ownership. Not worth the trouble. 

Unless you have the "What drains Dodge Journey's battery when switched off?"  If you could easily disconnect the battery, it would be nice to be able to start your vehicle the next day.  But, yea, relocated the battery really isn't the answer.

3 hours ago, Armando G said:

I beg to differ, but a lot of it has to do with driving styles... or sitting in car styles. I've never bought Walmart's battery, but since the wifey works part time at an auto shop, I get a lot of stuff at cost, hence buying the more costly Interstate. I do know I will never buy an Auto Zone battery. Buddy of mine had a terrible time with it. 

and I’ve been using 2 AutoZone batteries (1 in the DJ,one in the Sebring Convertible) for 3 years with zero issues.  It really is a crap shoot, isn’t it :yup:

I will say, Auto Zone has two different brand batteries and I believe one is much better than the other. But yes, it is sometimes a crap shoot. As a matter of fact, I have no clue what's currently in my DJ...I do know I have had no issues in the 3.5 years I've owned it. I'm assuming it's still the original battery

Maybe I'll take a peek tomorrow when I clean her up. 

• 1 month later...

I have a 17 Journey and a 19 Grand Caravan, both with the 3.6.  On the Grand Caravan, the battery is right on top, super easy to access.  Unfortunately, everything under the hood is packaged differently so converting would be a huge challenge and not worth it.  But it is strange that FCA would have not used the Grand Caravan layout on the Journey as a starting point.

• 4 years later...

I have broken my own personal record as far as battery life. It on,y lasted 1 1/2 year. I use it less than before and it froze and swelled a bit, probably cause of to much sitting around in -20C. I took it in to get my starter tested and first thing mechanic checked was the battery, of course. BUT, I haven't given up the idea of getting  the starter tested cause I suspect it's drawing to much power at startup.

I did replace mine with a interstate about 2.5 yrs ago and it is still doing good ,it was really cold here last wee, and it did do one slow start which has me wondering if I should replace it,but since then it is starting real quick now. but the power steering pump sure does give a yelp on the first start each morning,temps have been getting down to 9 degrees

If a car sits for long periods of time, the AGM battery is worth the extra $’s. New Lexus and other high end cars ship from factory with them.  Discharge when sitting for regular lead  acid by 30 days is enough for a no start sometimes.  Some owners manuals state you have to charge battery at this interval or lose battery warranty.

AGM rated for  almost ten times less daily power loss.  Recharge time also many multiples times better.

Around a $120 more AGM versus regular lead acid. Base warranty slightly better. They take vibration so well all recreational vehicles, atv, snowmobile, jet skis, use them.

AGM on father in laws sitting car was a huge help during Covid.  Collector car, or vehicles with crazy ass high powered sound systems would benefit too. 
I put a smart charger on the battery of my two vehicles(not AGM) around twice a year, to make sure they can still get up to a full charge.  Battery tender can also help a lot.

Most  importantly to this thread. Great for relocation, no vent and can be mounted on their side.

Edited by John/Horace