brwengel

Battery Tray Corrosion.....

So I just had my eighth battery in a car that 10 years old; I’d really be upset if six of them wouldn’t have been covered under warranty, but that’s another story.  So after I picked up from the dealer, I decided to look at the battery to see how old it was.  A quick inspection found the battery tray had corroded to the point of almost failing to hold the battery in place.  My biggest disappointment was that the dealer was always trying to sell me extras I didn’t need, but never suggested replacing my battery tray.  Much to my surprise, I found that it simply bolts in place and could easily be replaced.

So I ordered one, and ordered paint used to protect battery compartments on small aircraft, after a couple of coats with the special paint I had a new battery tray installed for about $150 (the paint is kinda expensive for a quart).  Since the battery on the Journey is tucked up in the drivers side wheel well, nobody hardly ever sees it.  Next time you have your wheel off, check your battery tray.

Happy Motoring.

B33A0BF6-6E21-4833-A966-14626565AB88.jpeg

guess it depends where you live had my journey for 5 yrs no problem here of course they dont use much salt

Glad to see you got that fixed. Stealerships are horrible with that up-sell every time you come in for something, no matter how minor. Good advice on checking the tray next time the wheel is off.

We have our car rust checked every year, so we don't have to worry about the battery shelf, since it is coated for us.  If we didn't get it done, I would buy a can of Rust Check and coat the damn thing myself.  I have a can of it that I spray on the hinges etc.  Love that stuff.

mechanical-idiot

Owned two journeys. 2009 and 2013 for 4 years each. Never had a battery issue, so I never checked mine...lol