Battery Tray Corrosion.....

So I just had my eighth battery in a car that 10 years old; I’d really be upset if six of them wouldn’t have been covered under warranty, but that’s another story.  So after I picked up from the dealer, I decided to look at the battery to see how old it was.  A quick inspection found the battery tray had corroded to the point of almost failing to hold the battery in place.  My biggest disappointment was that the dealer was always trying to sell me extras I didn’t need, but never suggested replacing my battery tray.  Much to my surprise, I found that it simply bolts in place and could easily be replaced.

So I ordered one, and ordered paint used to protect battery compartments on small aircraft, after a couple of coats with the special paint I had a new battery tray installed for about $150 (the paint is kinda expensive for a quart).  Since the battery on the Journey is tucked up in the drivers side wheel well, nobody hardly ever sees it.  Next time you have your wheel off, check your battery tray.

Happy Motoring.

B33A0BF6-6E21-4833-A966-14626565AB88.jpeg

We have our car rust checked every year, so we don't have to worry about the battery shelf, since it is coated for us.  If we didn't get it done, I would buy a can of Rust Check and coat the damn thing myself.  I have a can of it that I spray on the hinges etc.  Love that stuff.

mechanical-idiot

• 1 month later...

Well I live in Atlanta and we use zero salt down here.   This car has 300,000 miles and has never seen a snow storm...... I think it’s from the junk Chrysler batteries (they’re made by Johnson Controls). On a side note, I’ve had about 12 incidents over the last 10 years where the car would not start, take it to the dealer (because I have a LifeTime Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty) and they always tell me it’s the battery or the starter or the Win Module.  None of which have solved the problem, I’ve just learned to live with it......

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 8:55 PM, brwengel said:

Well I live in Atlanta and we use zero salt down here.   This car has 300,000 miles and has never seen a snow storm...... I think it’s from the junk Chrysler batteries (they’re made by Johnson Controls). On a side note, I’ve had about 12 incidents over the last 10 years where the car would not start, take it to the dealer (because I have a LifeTime Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty) and they always tell me it’s the battery or the starter or the Win Module.  None of which have solved the problem, I’ve just learned to live with it......

I should add that there is a plastic liner under the battery inside this tray, so you actually have to remove the plastic tray to see any damage.....

• 11 months later...

Had my 2011 Dodge Journey SXT for 8.5 year now. Realized the driver side front tire was rubbing the wheel well mud guard liner a bit. Took the tire and mud guard liner off and realized that the battery acid had boiled over and have been eating the steel tray all these years. The battery was hanging by a thread. If you see orange color stain on your driveway or garage floor be suspicious that your battery acid is boiling over. As to why the battery acid is boiling over ? I think the electrical system is over charging the battery. There you go again, Dodge !!

42 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Had my 2011 Dodge Journey SXT for 8.5 year now. Realized the driver side front tire was rubbing the wheel well mud guard liner a bit. Took the tire and mud guard liner off and realized that the battery acid had boiled over and have been eating the steel tray all these years. The battery was hanging by a thread. If you see orange color stain on your driveway or garage floor be suspicious that your battery acid is boiling over. As to why the battery acid is boiling over ? I think the electrical system is over charging the battery. There you go again, Dodge !!

Thank you for reporting in. You sure it has nothing to do with having the vehicle for 8.5 years and never inspection the battery? 

Edited by jkeaton

On 6/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, brwengel said:

So I just had my eighth battery in a car that 10 years old; I’d really be upset if six of them wouldn’t have been covered under warranty, but that’s another story.  So after I picked up from the dealer, I decided to look at the battery to see how old it was.  A quick inspection found the battery tray had corroded to the point of almost failing to hold the battery in place.  My biggest disappointment was that the dealer was always trying to sell me extras I didn’t need, but never suggested replacing my battery tray.  Much to my surprise, I found that it simply bolts in place and could easily be replaced.

So I ordered one, and ordered paint used to protect battery compartments on small aircraft, after a couple of coats with the special paint I had a new battery tray installed for about $150 (the paint is kinda expensive for a quart).  Since the battery on the Journey is tucked up in the drivers side wheel well, nobody hardly ever sees it.  Next time you have your wheel off, check your battery tray.

Happy Motoring.

B33A0BF6-6E21-4833-A966-14626565AB88.jpeg

Is that the old tray or a used replacement. If battery is replaced that often obviously something wrong with charging system or you have a bunch of aftermarket stuff dragging down charging system.  

• 1 month later...

The picture is of my old tray.  The battery has been replaced nine times in 11 years.  I’d have to say nothing was wrong with most of those batteries.  Like I said, when I bring it to the dealer and I have a LifeTime Bumper to Bumper warranty, we’ll they have to find something to replace when I complain about it not starting.  Truth of the matter is, that I’ve found it’ll start eventually if you wait long enough and it’s definetly not the battery or the starter.