All doors lock - only driver door unlocks

I can lock all of the doors with the key fob and cabin button, but only the driver door unlocks. I thought it might be a setting (click once to unlock driver door, click twice to unlock all doors), but all of the doors do unlock sometimes, but only when it's cold outside leading me to believe it's an electronic component failure.

Symptoms:

• If all doors are manually unlocked, they always lock regardless of the temperature.
  • If all doors are locked and vehicle / outside temperature is warm, then only driver's side door unlocks.
  • If all doors are locked and vehicle / outside temperature is cold, all doors almost always unlock.
  • Pressing lock / unlock too many times in quick succession eventually causes driver-side door to stop unlocking.

* note: "all doors" includes all passenger doors and rear hatch.

Remedies Tried:

• Disconnecting battery to reset computer (doesn't work).
  • Checked for pending fault codes or codes in the car's history with an ODB2 scanner (none).
  • Everything in the manual (nothing worked).
  • Key fob recall completed (problem existed before repair and still exists).
  • Wire harness recall possibly completed (need to verify).

I have called Dodge and been to several dealerships, but no one knows what's going on or seems to know where the computer controls are in the car so I can diagnose the problem myself.

Any suggestions or help in identifying / locating the actual components that control the lock system is greatly appreciated.

Edited by 09RT

Not sure if it applies in your situation, but my wife's 2009 was doing something similar. In addition to the problem that you describe, the radio wasn't turning off and the dome light wasn't coming on, when the driver's door was opened. I traced the problem to the driver's door ajar switch, which is located in the door latch assembly. I'm not sure, but assuming that the "computer" was not getting the signal that the driver's door was unlocked and wouldn't unlock the others. The rear hatch was also affected. Replacing the driver's door latch assembly corrected the problems. Part number 4589693AD. I paid $83 from a Chrysler Dealer on Ebay.

Why dont you try resetting that option? As I recall there was a procedure in the owners manual how to setup unlocking the doors. My DJ isnt here now, so I dont have access to the owners manual. Do you have yours? Three years ago I had an issue with the auto up/down windows, so i reset them and havent had an issue since. Let us know....

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I will try to locate the door ajar switch and test it. I've read the manual front to back hoping to find something, but nothing worked. I even purchased an ODB2 scanner to see if there might be a fault code and nothing was returned; not even in the history.

The connector for the latch is in a difficult area to access. Almost everything in the door is attached to a single module. There is a hinged door on the module, forward of the latch, that has to be opened. The connector has a secondary locking feature that is a clip that has to be slid back in order for the release to work. Although I seem to remember that someone said that they replaced the latch without removing anything else, I had to follow the Service Manual procedures and remove the module assembly, which included removing the window.

Edited by cart7881

Cart7881 - Excellent information. I will look into that.

DodgeCares - Yes to both. I will update the initial post to note that I've also had the key fob recall completed recently and they tried to diagnose it then and couldn't figure it out (to clarify, this has been a problem before and after the recall repair work was completed). Additionally, if my vehicle was part of the wire harness recall, it might have already been completed since it wasn't mentioned while the key fob recall work was being done.

I think the most important thing to note is how temperature / use seems to affect whether or not all doors unlock, so I'd say this is more so a hardware related issue than a settings one.

Since the doors can always lock, it seems to be an issue specifically with the unlock circuitry as if there might be a failing component (capacitor, etc), cold solder joint, or bad connection (like the switch Cart7881 mentioned) somewhere. Especially since repeatedly locking / unlocking the doors eventually causes the driver door to stop responding for a few minutes, something somewhere doesn't seem to support / sustain the current draw required.

Edited by 09RT

• Official Dodge Support

You could certainly be correct about that, 09RT. Keep us posted on how the door ajar switch testing goes. If you decide you would like to have a dealership look at it again, feel free to reach out to me through PM if you would like assistance scheduling an appointment.

I had a chance to take the door panel off. I located the described door to the door ajar switch (located on the left below the door locking plunger), but the switch looked like it was too far to reach without taking the door apart further, so I focused on the door module itself.

The attached image shows the solder bridge I found on one of the pins. While the bridge isn't touching the pin next to it, it's close enough to arc. Additionally, there is hardly any solder on ANY of the pins that go to the connectors - even the ground pins. It is so bad, you can see the light shining through the through-holes (pictured).

Other than that, the large capacitor on the board didn't show any physical signs of damage (no bubbling, etc). All of the other components seem to have been soldered adequately and looked OK.

I'm going to fix the bridge, properly solder the connector pins, and test it tomorrow.

post-13012-0-74430000-1456013362_thumb.j

Just curious. You haven't mentioned having problems with any of the other functions controlled by the door ajar switch. If the radio turns off (with key out of the ignition) and the interior lights illuminate when the door is opened, the door ajar switch must be operational.

• 1 month later...

This is a follow-up to say that the problem appears to be resolved, but I can't definitively say what fixed the problem. It could have simply been a pinched wire that was fixed as soon as I removed the door panel. The problem could have also been due to one of the connectors not being firmly seated and was fixed as a result of disconnecting / reconnecting the door module. If none of those were the issue, I would definitely say it was related to the extremely poor QA provided by the manufacturer of the door module.

Note: If your door module board looks like the picture posted above and you want to add more solder then be sure to note that the connector pins sink a lot of the heat. I had to use a desoldering iron to keep the pin I was resoldering heated enough to allow the solder to flow onto both the pin and pad.

Edited by 09RT

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue. I recently had the software updated for my 2011 DJ and now, when I lock the doors, and use the keyless entry system via the driver side door handle, only the driver side door unlocks, whereas all 4 doors used to unlock. When i approach the passenger door handle this will unlock all 4 doors.

Strange...

Also, since the software update, the radio no longer stays on for 5 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to get these both back to the way they used to be?

Thanks!

I have a similar issue. I recently had the software updated for my 2011 DJ and now, when I lock the doors, and use the keyless entry system via the driver side door handle, only the driver side door unlocks, whereas all 4 doors used to unlock. When i approach the passenger door handle this will unlock all 4 doors.

Strange...

Also, since the software update, the radio no longer stays on for 5 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to get these both back to the way they used to be?

Thanks!

As stated above, the settings are in the display. They may have had to disconnect the battery which may have reset everything back to factory default. Check your owners manual.

• 3 years later...

I am very late to this post! I hope someone will have some new advice. I bought a 2010 Journey about a year ago. We love this car and everything has been great. According to a vin check, all recalls have been completed.

It started with, for about a month, that ALL the doors would unlock with the key fob except for the drivers side door. Now it is the exact opposite; ONLY the driver side door unlocks! It doesn't matter if you use the key fob or the master door switch. I replaced the battery in the fob and the master door switch, still same problem. After replacing the master door switch and that not solving the problem, I was told that it is probably an issue with the BCM (body control module).

I hope I can find some help here. It really sucks having to unlock the door manually when you have kids and sports and not to mention, CAN'T USE THE HATCH AT ALL!!!

Have you verified that in the dashboard screen settings that all doors are set to unlock with fob ? I know the option is there to have only driver's door or all doors. Just thinking maybe that somehow changed back to only driver's door . When set to driver's door only I think you had to push unlock on fob twice to open the other doors also.

• Official Dodge Support
15 hours ago, 2010DJRT said:

I am very late to this post! I hope someone will have some new advice. I bought a 2010 Journey about a year ago. We love this car and everything has been great. According to a vin check, all recalls have been completed.

It started with, for about a month, that ALL the doors would unlock with the key fob except for the drivers side door. Now it is the exact opposite; ONLY the driver side door unlocks! It doesn't matter if you use the key fob or the master door switch. I replaced the battery in the fob and the master door switch, still same problem. After replacing the master door switch and that not solving the problem, I was told that it is probably an issue with the BCM (body control module).

I hope I can find some help here. It really sucks having to unlock the door manually when you have kids and sports and not to mention, CAN'T USE THE HATCH AT ALL!!!

Have you brought this concern to your preferred dealer's attention recently for diagnosis, 2010DJRT. If not, we suggest scheduling an appointment at your earliest convenience. If you'd like assistance, our team is just a private message away.

Kate
DodgeCares

• 4 weeks later...

Probak118, I do not have a touchscreen, or the u-connect devices. I have looked through the manual and tried every programming option (that I found) for door locks.

DodgeCares, no I have not taken it to a dealer yet. I consider myself fairly good with cars and mechanics. I am very troubled that I cannot figure this one out! I've checked for broken/loose wires, bad fuses, relays, etc. Is it possible, like I was told, that maybe the BCM needs to be flashed?

Anyone, please give me suggestions. Thank you.

• Official Dodge Support
On 3/7/2020 at 3:54 PM, 2010DJRT said:

Probak118, I do not have a touchscreen, or the u-connect devices. I have looked through the manual and tried every programming option (that I found) for door locks.

DodgeCares, no I have not taken it to a dealer yet. I consider myself fairly good with cars and mechanics. I am very troubled that I cannot figure this one out! I've checked for broken/loose wires, bad fuses, relays, etc. Is it possible, like I was told, that maybe the BCM needs to be flashed?

Anyone, please give me suggestions. Thank you.

Understood, 2010DJRT. If you would like to visit a dealer for this and want additional assistance, please send us a private message.

Kate
DodgeCares

On 3/11/2020 at 3:33 PM, lmccat said:

I have a similar issue with the keyfob unlocking doors, except that only 1 door won't unlock. The rear driver's side door never unlocks, but all the other doors do.

Any suggestions?

Sorry, no suggestions. Could be BCM, bad switches/actuators, etc. Dealer could troubleshoot. 

• 1 year later...

Due to Covid my 2016 Journey sat unused for 4-5 weeks. By that time the battery did not have the power to start, so I charged it. I found that the remote key, the driver's door handle, and the driver's door button would routinely fail to unlock the passenger door, rear doors, and the rear hatch.  At first it was sporadic, then it became more frequent. I could unlock the passenger door by the inside handle, and I could force up the locks on the inside of the rear doors, and then they would all lock as soon as I hit the button, but they would not unlock. I could hear power hitting the mechanisms, but they don't unlock. I have removed the fuse in an attempt to reset the locks, but it had no effect.

After a few days, resetting the door locks on the "Settings" screen, and multiple attempts to get the doors to unlock, with only intermittent success, today the locks worked.  On the internet this seems to be a frequent issue with Journeys. Does anyone have any working resolutions?

Is it a new battery in the car now. Low voltage can cause weird electrical glitzes to turn up. If you read through all the posts it’s seems removing driver door cover and resetting electrical plugs is worth trying. Latch mechanism which has electrical plug was changed in some cases and fixed problem. Trouble shooting needs to be done.

On 2016-02-17 at 6:28 AM, cart7881 said:

Replacing the driver's door latch assembly corrected the problems. Part number 4589693AD. I paid $83 from a Chrysler Dealer on Ebay.

On 2016-02-18 at 6:35 AM, cart7881 said:

The connector for the latch is in a difficult area to access. Almost everything in the door is attached to a single module. There is a hinged door on the module, forward of the latch, that has to be opened. The connector has a secondary locking feature that is a clip that has to be slid back in order for the release to work. Although I seem to remember that someone said that they replaced the latch without removing anything else, I had to follow the Service Manual procedures and remove the module assembly, which included removing the window.