UConnect is effing worthless (help send a message to mopar)

Hmm . . I don't recall anyone saying that song metadata is passed via BT in any version of Android OR iOS. And if it could be and was under BT2.1, then BT4.0 would support it since the protocols are backwards compatible - and if it was, then it could be passed under Spotify and from any other music source that provides that data as well.

If it turns out that your missive was wrong in any way it will discredit the complaint . . . as to it being a 'safety issue' as Sherri said - THAT'S gonna get blown out of the water by engineering quickly, I suspect. But if she thinks it's a safety issue she'll escalate to engineering as a priority . . . what happens after that? Probably nothing. But again; if you don't squeak, they won't know where to put the grease.

When I initially bought this car/truck/sport wagon, all I wanted was for my music work as it did in my Nitro RBZ MyGig v50.1. To say that I was disappointed in finding out that the 30 gig HD had been replaced with an SD slot is an understatement. I'd love to cut a hole in the 8.4 screen and install a Mygig. I could use silver duct tape which would look fine with my liquid graphite interior. As long as the hole stayed above the row of icons I'd be all set.

I have a Samsung S5 active android. While driving I can listen to the text I cannot view it while in motion, same with texting I can't send a text on the 8.4 while in motion. And yes I get a text notification while in motion with the option to listen or view.

Edited by xcaliber81

I have a Samsung S5 active android. While driving I can listen to the text I cannot view it while in motion, same with texting I can't send a text on the 8.4 while in motion. And yes I get a text notification while in motion with the option to listen or view.

OK. I have begun to think my 2011 uconnect does not support texting at all but I need to get a phone that is compatible with the uconnect software to know for sure. I think I will get a samsung when my upgrade is available through verizon.

Peace.

It was my understanding that only uConnect 2.0 (not available on JC platform vehicles) was capable of the things you want, so screaming at Chrysler will get you nowhere.

Interesting that some of you claim it does indeed work. Hasn't ever worked for me, though I rarely use BT unless I want to make a phone call, and I've never used the USB since my phone doesn't support USB OTG+Charge (it might, now that it runs 5.1 and supports Android Auto). I don't really care though, as my 2013 Moto X automatically detects when I'm driving and asks me if I want to hear the message, and dictates responses. Only problem is if I have it connected by BT, the uConnect thinks its a phone call and gets screwy, so I leave the BT disconnected.

I'm curious, does anyone who says the features work for them use a phone manufactured by ANYONE other than Samsung or Apple? Those two AFAIK are the only ones who support it, and it tends to be hit or miss. If that's the case... we're SOL. I've sworn off of Samsung as their products are nothing more than cheaply engineered products that look pretty and aren't worth much else... my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Series 7 Chronos laptop can attest to that. Apple just isn't worth my time and money... I have no interest in their proprietary crap.

IMHO, if you want all of these 1st world features to work right, buy a car or head unit that runs Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay. Automakers are notorious for having awful infotainment systems, and uConnect just happens to be the lone C-student among all the flunkers. They're realizing it, too, as more and more carmakers are giving in and signing up for AA and CarPlay.

You should be able to send a text while in motion as long as it is one of the predetermined responses. Mine works. It tacks "Sent from my Dodge" on the end of my message though and all of my buddies will reply to that with long lists of swear words because they think it funny when I listen to it and the uConnect girl cusses me out. For that reason I rarely send texts through the system. That, and I find very little use for the responses you can choose from.

Thinking about it, the Ford F150 I drive at works reads the texts and allowes canned answers that u can pick with the steering wheel controls. The Hyundai Tuscon I drove did it too. Must be some super duper tech people Dodge doesnt have.......hhuuummmmm......

^^ that almost makes no sense would the fca been ignoring the f150 if they can essentially text and drive and I cannot in my journey?

I can listen to my messages but cannot read or reply while in motion same reason I cannot view the dvd in the front I would guess.

Edited by xcaliber81

Well, aside from the fact that the F150 doesn't compete with the Journey . . . . .

Consider perhaps that there may be jurisdictions where it simply isn't allowed to respond to or compose text messages. You can, of course always install a lockpick and get around the limitation.

Edited by bramfrank

It won't let me text and drive for some reason it's against the law .

I've tried but I just get the this feature is not available while in motion message.

I wonder if this is a change in 2015??? Are you using the voice command to try and send the text? You can't reply on the screen in motion but you can most definitely use voice commands in my 2014 to send the canned responses... I doubt it is a law thing. Texting while driving is illegal everywhere I think; it is definitely illegal in MN and mine works (via voice commands).

I highly doubt FCA will put any more design work into the Journey. It was engineering in 2008, refreshed for 2011, and a model added for 2014. The sell-by date came and went on this generation. The next one will likely have the improvements you seek, available probably as a Chrysler in 2018/2019. We'll see what the updated product plan is next month.

I just looked at the manual! Yes, I admit it. If you click on the phone which is connected to Uconnect and click on it, if "Messaging" is grayed out, texting will never work. Makes sense to me because I have an iPhone6, debating on getting a 6s. Anyway, my phone is iOS9.2. Uconnect only supports iOS7.1 Makes sense to me. No update since I purchased my DJ new last summer, and I'm not holding my breath.