Did I leave my Key FOB in the car ? Helllllppp

Situation: I either left my key FOB in the car or I lost it !

What is happening now.

When I press the button on the door handle ...

2013-dodge-journey-door-handle_8334_045_

I see the "Depress Brake and press Start" message light up on the dash.

I get the feeling it wouldn't do that .... if the Key FOB wasn't in range.

What do you think ?

Why do you are what the display says when you are outside the vehicle? The question is whether the car thinks that a valid fob is inside . . . does the car start when you press the brake and press the button?

As mentioned, if you try to lock the vehicle by pressing the lock button with a valid fob inside the horn will honk 3 times and the doors will unlock again - after three tries the vehicle WILL leave the doors locked.

Leave the fob you know about a distance from the vehicle (like in your kitchen), climb into the car and try to start it. If it does atart then a valid fob is inside (or something is wrong). So if it does start, start looking. There really aren't many places for a fob to be.

Edited by bramfrank

I forgot that I left my keys with FOB yesterday, and tried to lock it with the black button. It would not lock. The horn made no sound and lights did not blink. Then I remembered that the keys were in the cup holder. Removed the keys and it locked.

Are you sure that you don't have the key in one of your pockets? I usually put my keys in the ruler pocket of my carpenter jeans and for get that they are there. I have washed them 2 times now. Sometimes I set them on the work bench in my garage.

Did you try to lock it 3 times? I can't imagine doing this, as I knew right away yesterday what was going on. Is the FOB under the car? Where is it parked? Did you get two FOBs when you bought the car?

I forgot that I left my keys with FOB yesterday, and tried to lock it with the black button. It would not lock. The horn made no sound and lights did not blink. Then I remembered that the keys were in the cup holder. Removed the keys and it locked.

Are you sure that you don't have the key in one of your pockets? I usually put my keys in the ruler pocket of my carpenter jeans and for get that they are there. I have washed them 2 times now. Sometimes I set them on the work bench in my garage.

Did you try to lock it 3 times? I can't imagine doing this, as I knew right away yesterday what was going on. Is the FOB under the car? Where is it parked? Did you get two FOBs when you bought the car?

Dave,

I've been meaning to ask you- what setting do you use on your washing machine when you wash your FOB? Also how long do leave it in the drier?

Dave,

I've been meaning to ask you- what setting do you use on your washing machine when you wash your FOB? Also how long do leave it in the drier?

Washer: regular fabrics, normal wash (fast), warm wash, warm dry. 10 minute pre-soak!

Dryer: Normal fabrics, time dry (1 - 2 hours). If I find the keys in the bottom of the washer, I leave them on the top of the dryer while it is running.

• 2 weeks later...

Been there done that ! Dropped off family to arena (how can a goalie forget his pads ?). Drove 3 miles home, luckily realized no key fob in pocket and did not shut off car, Bound to happen again. Undecided if this is a good or bad feature.

Ha! That's a LOT of equipment to forget...

Never had this happen to me, I tend to keep the keys on my person. No need to remove them from my pocket.