Stereo stays on... Vehicle off, doors open

2011 Dodge Journey SE - Base model no NAV, small display stereo (roughly 2.5" x 3")

First of all, this is my first time using a forum, if this has been asked already I'm sorry.

So my problem is that when I turn the vehicle off and open the drivers door, the stereo stays on and continues to play sound through the speakers. None of the stereo controls work once the vehicle is turned off. I haven't timed it to see how long it takes to turn off, but I know it is longer than 5 minutes.

I have attempted to repair it by disconnecting the battery to the vehicle for 5 minutes. That didn't fix the problem. I had it at the dealership last week and they said it need a 30 minute flash for the stereo but that didn't solve the issue either. (That repair was $70) I just dropped it off at the dealership again for this issue. Hopefully they can find out what is going on, but I was hoping that someone else has had this issue and could help me with what they did to fix the issue.

On a side note: My key fob panic button hasn't worked for about 3 1/2 years now. I purchased this vehicle brand new, I have both the fobs it came with, the lock/unlock buttons work just fine. I've replaced the batteries on both fobs and it still doesn't work. I had it at the dealership about 3 years ago and they said the fob is delivering an RF signal when the panic button is pressed but something on the vehicle isn't receiving it. The service writer was supposed to contact their engineering department and get back to me... that never happened. So if anyone has had this issue please let me know what the fix was, so I could get it taken care of while the vehicle is at the dealership.

Thanks,

Steven

While I don't have this problem, I know my stereo will play until the driver's door is opened. In addition to the stereo, I would have the service folks look at the door. Maybe the door switch is defective. Does your dome lighting work when you open the door? Have you tried opening the passenger door after shutoff, what happens then? Good Luck. Keep up posted as to how this goes.

Peace.

There is a setting that you can adjust the amount of time the stereo stays on.

Check that out in the settings menu on the radio.

Right, but it should shut off no matter what, once the door opens. I like redtomatoman's idea about a possible faulty switch in the door.

• 2 years later...

Just an update, I am having this same issue with my DJ.

I had brought it to the dealership and they quoted me a $350-$400 fix. It's a faulty module in the wiring harness that causes the radio to not know if the car is running or not. The reason why it stays on for "x" amount of time is because the DJ takes "x" amount of time to completely shut off power to the vehicle even when it's turned off. 

I will follow up with the name of the actual issue once I get the report back from the dealership, it should be finished later this week. Unfortunately because I was unable to find any DIY fix for this I had to pay the bill, seems really expensive in my opinion.  

Hello,

I herd back from the dealer, they are saying it’s a faulty HVAC/Radio switch bank. I have never herd of this before. Maybe someone can help shed some light on what it is or where it’s located.

They quoted me what I think is too expensive, I’m going to try and source the part and then do the repair myself. 

I attached the image from the dealer report.

D07C3BC5-2C14-4F10-A86E-87FF04F2E783.jpeg

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I have had something similar to this happen. When my phone was connected to Uconnect via Bluetooth playing audio, the radio wouldn't turn off even when the car was off. I had to toggle airplane mode to get it to turn off. Not saying this is what is happening, but something to keep an eye on.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same trouble with my 2013 Journey, I turn the vehicle off and open the door and everything turns off except the radio which goes into zombie mode. The radio still plays but all the display lights are off and none of the controls (volume, on/off, etc.) work. So it makes sense it's the radio, most of the radio is turning off, just not all of it. Has anyone had this repair done outside of a warranty? How much does it cost? Is it just the radio that has to be replaced or are there integrated components that make the repair costs much greater than you would expect?

Edited by gdos
typo

• Official Dodge Support
18 hours ago, gdos said:

I'm having the same trouble with my 2013 Journey, I turn the vehicle off and open the door and everything turns off except the radio which goes into zombie mode. The radio still plays but all the display lights are off and none of the controls (volume, on/off, etc.) work. So it makes sense it's the radio, most of the radio is turning off, just not all of it. Has anyone had this repair done outside of a warranty? How much does it cost? Is it just the radio that has to be replaced or are there integrated components that make the repair costs much greater than you would expect?

Hi gdos,

We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support
Rob
DodgeCares

Hi Rob,

Not sure what additional support you can give me. As we both can see this has happened to other people. What I'm looking for is someone that's had it done that can tell me roughly how much it costs. The job's not going to be free, dealer or not. they have to take the dash apart to replace it and I'm guessing the radio itself will be a couple of hundred bucks. What I don't want to hear is that it's one of stupid jobs where because they replace the radio they have to replace something else like the computer and it ends up costing $2500. It's extremely unlikely the dealership is going to give me an accurate quote beforehand, not unless they've done a lot of these jobs and if it's a big price they're sure as hell not going to tell me.

• Official Dodge Support
2 hours ago, gdos said:

Hi Rob,

Not sure what additional support you can give me. As we both can see this has happened to other people. What I'm looking for is someone that's had it done that can tell me roughly how much it costs. The job's not going to be free, dealer or not. they have to take the dash apart to replace it and I'm guessing the radio itself will be a couple of hundred bucks. What I don't want to hear is that it's one of stupid jobs where because they replace the radio they have to replace something else like the computer and it ends up costing $2500. It's extremely unlikely the dealership is going to give me an accurate quote beforehand, not unless they've done a lot of these jobs and if it's a big price they're sure as hell not going to tell me.

Hi gdos,

Your sentiments expressed here are certainly understandable, however as our dealers are independently owned they have the ability to set their own procedures.  With this in mind, they will be in the best position to walk through the specifics of the estimate with you. I sincerely apologize that we are not able to assist further with your inquiry.
Rob
DodgeCares

People who have done it say $1,000-$1500. Taking the dash off is easy. The radio is what costs and unless you want to give up whatever else shows up in your display, aftermarket is a no.  I know with my 09 aftermarket would be fine because no heat/ac fan, etc controls show up in the display.  Search upgrading the radio on this forum, you’ll see what I’m talking about.  Things like this are 1: the reason I get extended warranty when I buy a car and 2:suck that the car manufacturers are eliminating the aftermarket upgrade....

hate to tell you gdos but no reputable repair shop will be able how much to fix your problem till they tear into it to see what the problem is, i know you dont want to hear this so good luck on what ever you find out on how to fix it....

Thanks for your responses. Rob and 2late4U, I know I'm not going to get an accurate quote from either the dealer or a repair shop for this job, it's a very uncommon repair. That's why I'm here, I'm bypassing the dealership/repair shops and trying to get a ballpark idea of the cost. OhareFred, thanks for you direction, that helped a lot. I couldn't find the $1000-1500 estimate. I did find a lot like you and 2late4U have communicated on other threads (my best wishes for both of you) and that the repair looks like its contained to swapping out the radio/HVAC controls which is a single integrated unit. So if I call the dealerships parts department and ask for a new radio, add 2-3 service hours for removal/replacement of the dash I should have the repair costs. If the radio is outrageously expensive I can go to a junkers, get a radio cheap, install it myself with one of the threads describing how to reactivate the radio with the correct codes. As a Christmas present the radio has stopped going into zombie mode so I'm fine for the time being. If/when it starts happening again at least I have a plan.

Thanks,

Greg

i have read on other  blogs or facebook about upgrading from a small display radio to the 8.4 screen and all the controls that goes with it, dont know if this would help solve your problem or be replacing your problem part but you might want to check into it maybee google this swap in the future og going to a junk yard and buying a complete radio set up from a salvage yard  good luck and please report back on when and if you get the problem fixed for others to read.and as well have a great New Year

by getting a radio cheap I meant a getting the proper standard DJ radio from a junker very cheap as those radios span multiple vehicle years and are absolutely no good to anyone else. I don't know how people drive down there but the way they drive up here, I'm guessing there's more than a few DJ wrecks in the yards.  A Happy New Year to you as well.