How much does it cost to buy a new key/fob

Okay so I have a 2014 Dodge Journey and I want to purchase a new key. Keep in mind that it's keyless (push button start) so it runs on a fob. How much does Dodge charge to buy one?

Just to add my two cents on this matter...I've purchased several Key Fobs from eBay and have never had a problem, approximately $25-$35. Remember, you're buy new fobs not someones old used one. The merchant I've used and have had no problems with is The Keyless King:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/keylessking*?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

My car has remote start as well and so I took a chance and bought one without the Remote Stat button. My thought was that they were all the same inside and the only difference was the silk screened cover. But this was not the case, after programming, the blank remote start button did not work, so they must be different inside. It still worked for all the other functions, just not the remote start.

Keep in mind that with the new R03 Recall, the Win Module is replaced and you'll get new key fobs (if your car is covered by the latest recall).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The 3-button FOBIK that was standard on the 2009 Journey (and was also the same FOBIK used for the Grand Caravan/Town and Country, and a few other vehicles) absolutely has a battery in it. If your key looks like the one here (http://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption-Replacement-Ignition-Keyless-Transmitter/dp/B00KTHZZ3Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448060300&sr=8-2&keywords=2009+dodge+journey+key), it has a battery and your source of information is lying to you.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I got around 100 Canadian bucks to do that. I have a locksmith http://locksmithtoronto365.com/ i can rely on so i told him about troubles i have and he told me he can replace and reprogram all at once. After a week he had got my fob the job took around 30 min.  Keep in mind, you will most certainly pay more, but the price will be around 140$ i guess.

• 11 months later...
On 7/9/2015 at 10:53 AM, brwengel said:

Just to add my two cents on this matter...I've purchased several Key Fobs from eBay and have never had a problem, approximately $25-$35. Remember, you're buy new fobs not someones old used one. The merchant I've used and have had no problems with is The Keyless King:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/keylessking*?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

My car has remote start as well and so I took a chance and bought one without the Remote Stat button. My thought was that they were all the same inside and the only difference was the silk screened cover. But this was not the case, after programming, the blank remote start button did not work, so they must be different inside. It still worked for all the other functions, just not the remote start.

Keep in mind that with the new R03 Recall, the Win Module is replaced and you'll get new key fobs (if your car is covered by the latest recall).

I ordered a key fob from The Keyless King and it still said I needed to go to a dealership to have it reprogrammed.
On their site, they claim it is easy to program yourself.

The FOBIC cannot be programmed to the vehicle without either a scan tool OR a programmer like many locksmiths have. I just replaced one for our 2014. Bought the FOBIC online from carandtruckremotes and programmed it myself (I have the proper scan tool) However I did call a local automotive locksmith and he gets 35.00 to program them, no appointment needed.
Be sure you get the proper year and version, if you have remote start you cannot use the version without that option. The switch for the remote start isn't on the internal board.

I just got a second one for my Journey, and saved a little by going through ebay for the fob.  I used the vin number to identify the model FOB I needed and got one from the keyless king on ebay for $34 delivered.  I then took it to the dealership for programming and cutting of the key.  They charged me $91 to cut the key and program the fob.  As an alternative, I did/do have a local locksmith that could have done it all for $130 but I already ordered the fob so it was to late.  They wouldn't use any FOB other than the ones they provide due to them having alot of issues with people bringing them the wrong fobs for their cars.

Anyways, it wasn't so bad in the end.

• 1 month later...

When we purchased our Journey it only had one key. We bought two keys from eBay and took it to the stealership to have one programmed. They charged us $50 and made sure to state it's $50 whether it works or not. 

Once you have 2 working keys you can easily program spares yourself. You can Google the procedure, it's not complicated at all.

when we had the recall done, the paperwork we received stated they would replace any keys in your possession that are programmed to the vehicle. It does not specify that they must be OEM keys. It took some back and forth with the dealership to get our spare keys covered. We had to make a few phone calls to FCA to finally get them replaced.

Keep in mind there is a finite number of keys you can program to a WIM module. Like 7 or 8, and it won't allow you to program more. 

Back when our Journey journey began I purchased a couple of mid level scan tools, an Autel MD802 and a Foxwell NT510 with the Chrysler software. They both offer some bidirectional testing capability, but neither at the time were capable of programming keys.

i just downloaded the most recent updates for the Foxwell NT510 the other day, and V8.30 of the Chrysler software opened up a lot more capability. Lightly flipping through function tests and scans on our 2006 Caravan showed that it had access to many more functions with this latest update, including.... SKIM/SKREEM key programming. I ordered a spare key last night to test the key programming function with, should be here Thursday. Have not had time to hook it up in the Journey yet and see if any new functionality has been added.

• 3 weeks later...

Update to previous post. NT510 is not capable of adding new keys. Currently looking into key programmers. Have seen a few locksmith posts/videos stating the Xtool X100 Pro is capable of pulling the PIN from the module and programming new keys into the unit. Will likely pick that up as well as a cloning unit. Will update with success/failure.

• 4 years later...

It depends upon the dealer or the store from where you are getting the key fob. A locksmith charge less than the dealership so you can buy one from them at a reasonable cost. I also got one key fob from an expert who works for locksmith tonronto company. The charges were nominal for their service.