Stock Kumo tires in snow = slippery trip

probak118

Well since our purchase of a new 2014 Chev in August, I finally pried the DJ from the wife and got to drive the DJ regularly. Now with a little snow and ice around, these tires suck in the snow. Going thru all these roundabouts now in use is a little scary. We only have 23,000 kms on a 2012 with still lots of tread to change to a "all weather" tire yet. Is it just me and my driving style ? Or do these tires simply stink overall in snow and ice conditions ?

LOL...I ended up with the DJ when we bought our new car this year. Our first winter with the Kuhmo's the wife slid into a curb damaging the wheel bearing and that was enough for me to invest in winter tires. My dad who has the same Kuhmo's on his Sonata finds them not to be the best tires for winter conditions too. I'd say to upgrade to winter tires for better results.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I used to weekend at a country house at the bottom of a hill in the lower Laurentians - until they passed the snow tire laws in Quebec I used all-season tires year-round and I NEVER had issues going up and down the slope in any conditions.

But my Sister in Law could never manage to get up that driveway in my vehicle . . . . . at one point she gave me heck for not having snow tires, blaming their lack on her inability to get out of the driveway (ignoring the fact that I never had an issue getting the vehicle out even after she would abandon her efforts, leaving the vehicle halfway up the hill).

One day, after my wife gave me heck to follow up the Sister in Law's complaints I went out and had a brand new set of snows installed on the van (and didn't tell either of them I'd done it) - and, as you can guess, the very next day when she got stuck in the driveway yet again, she came in and started yelling at me. I took her down by explaining the facts of life:

If I could get the vehicle out without difficulty it wasn't the vehicle OR it's tires. AND that even with a brand new set of snow tires installed she STILL couldn't get out of the driveway.

It really is more about the driver than it is the vehicle or the tires, though there are some benefits to using snow tires where conditions warrant.

Proper driver education and aptitude are the keys.

I read enough bad rap on the Khumos here that I switched to Bridgestones Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, because I had these on my previous truck. I was hesitant about not having AWD, but this is a beast in the snow. I'll give most of the applause to the tires.

I liked my kumhos. They weren't the best tires in terms of wear. I got 42,000 miles out of 60,000 mile tires. I felt that the straight away street traction was pretty good and the rain/snow performance was as good as any other tire out there. Tires depend on driving style. Some people really push their vehicles hard. I think the relatively soft sidewalls on the kumhos were both their greatest strength for some b/c they provide a great ride and greatest weakness for others b/c they flex and wear on hard turns. Some people buy summer tires and expect them to grip in 6" of snow. Not gonna happen. Then they complain about it all over the interwebs. Ha.

Peace.

Ok, so all you guys are basically saying that these Kuhmo's are the bomb and are superior to any winter tire in snow. There is no way in the world you guys can find these tires to be just as good as winter tires. Trust me when I tell you that I'm a very competent driver when it comes to driving in the snow. I do quite well in any vehicle or any weather condition. When I had my Chevy Aveo (tiny car) I used to drive my wife to work in the worst snowstorms as it doesn't phase me one bit when it comes to snow. I'm on the road every day logging many miles between my company's 10 sites and used to be a delivery driver for my dads company as soon as I got my license @ 17 years old....I am sick of driving all day long. Anyhow, the winter tires I can do without but with them on the vehicle is more stable on the road and does make for a safer drive for ANYONE who takes the keys, or fob in our house. I don't think that it is responsible for us to tell everyone that has troubles in winter conditions that they are crazy and a crappy driver and these tires are just fine. I would prefer that they get a set of winter tires as I and my family have to share the road with them.

l_2cents.gif

Edited by Journey_SeXT

All I'm saying it, in my situation they work just fine. Not implying they are superior to any tire. Just stating my experience both in owning the tires and driving in all conditions with them. Sure, strictly winter tires would probably be superior than any all season tire. It's just people who have not done research read a few reviews and automatically fear they have crap tires and must run out immediately and replace them. Not the case with the kuhmos. They are very capable tires if you understand the limitations of an all season tire compared to a dedicated winter tire.

Edited by jkeaton

Maybe I could have made it through the winter with the Kumhos, but now I will never know. My real concern was not having AWD. But, as I previously posted, my DJ portrays confidence in the snow, when comparing it to my 4x4 Nitro with the same tires. This is the first non 4x4 that I have had in over 20 years. I'm sure that I will not make it through 3' of unplowed snow. I'd be bottomed out. This is just the beginning of winter for us now. It is sleeting/snowing as I type this, and I have no worries about getting to my volunteer job tomorrow.

Never said kumhos were superior or equal to winter tires. I'm saying that the set of kumhos that I had were just as good as any other all season tires that I have experienced. I'm going out on a limb maybe, but my experience with those kumhos leads me to believe that they are a good as any other all season tire. Notice, I didn't say the kumhos are as good as slicks at the racetrack or as good as mud tires off road on a rainy day. Just sayin'. Ha.

Peace.

I haven't had any "issues" with mine, but I've had better tires before... I have also never owned a snow tire, so I am not sure how they compare. Drive to the conditions and they should suffice... But, if it really concerns you then there are tires that are better equipped for the snow that are available.

I am hoping to upgrade my wheels/tires this summer, so I may invest in some winter tires next year for the first time... Curious to see what all of the hype is about.

This is my first winter with my Journey, and with AWD. So far, I have no complaints. I still need to turn off the TCS when I need to put the power down and move (since Dodge TCS systems are happy to suck all the power out with the slightest wheel slip and make you sit still), but traction loss so far this season has been minimal. When I turn off TCS and gas it... sure, the AWD system kicks the rear out for some great hooning, and I had one instances of the front end plowing forward several feet further than it should, but that was from me almost missing my driveway. Still made it just fine. Other than that, my front wheels have slipped minorly a few times and the AWD corrected the situation. Nowhere near as bad my Charger was last year with bald Kumho Ecsta 4x's and 390 ft-lb's torque. I put a set of Toyo Proxes 4's on that one and it was overtaking Range Rovers like they were nothing. When these wear out, I'll be looking for a similar set of Toyos. Until then, I should be fine. I should be able to get a second season of winter driving from them judging by the wear rates people are experiencing (putting me at 25,000+ miles by summer 2016). I'm not going to bother with winter tires. If its bad enough out there to need snow tires, I'll stay home and let the putzes in Michigan total their cars in the 100+ car pileups we get every year.

... If its bad enough out there to need snow tires, I'll stay home and let the putzes in Michigan total their cars in the 100+ car pileups we get every year....

Ha! I hear you. I generally just stay home on these days as well, or take the back roads. We are a hockey family though and hockey goes on regardless of the weather, so there are many times I need to get out there even if I don't want to. Since the tires I would buy, given the scenario of upgrading my wheels, would likely be summer oriented, I will need something for winter...may as well be a winter specific tire.

If I get a set of GC SRT wheels on my Journey, they'll have summer tires as well. I'll still put all-season tires on the OEM wheels, because winter tires wear out faster on dry roads than standard tires do. Michigan isn't wet 80+% of winter, so there isn't a point. All-seasons should last longer, and may even be less expensive.

Ok, maybe my implying that you guys are saying they are the best tires was a little strong but I was just making a point that some people do find them less than perfect in snow so I think that suggesting a set of winter tires for them would be in their best interest. Anyhow, I don't want to be the odd duck of this discussion so I will step aside and look at other threads.

Thanks for the replies to my rant! :)

Ok, maybe my implying that you guys are saying they are the best tires was a little strong but I was just making a point that some people do find them less than perfect in snow so I think that suggesting a set of winter tires for them would be in their best interest. Anyhow, I don't want to be the odd duck of this discussion so I will step aside and look at other threads.

Thanks for the replies to my rant! :)

Yeah! Get the hell out of here! :)