Noise when going from park to drive / reverse - reverse to drive ?

probak118

I seldom drove our 2012, 6 cylinder SXT until now. Wife always said it was noisy when putting car in drive / reverse from the park position. Now I drive it and have noticed a slight noise from time to time when putting the car into one of those gears. Just thought I was not letting the car come to a full stop before changing a gear ?. Was told by another owner this is normal in the 6 speed trany. Anyone know how common this is ? Our 3 yrs warranty will be up in April 2015.

My DJ 2010/2010 does the same, especially when I have to park in a small ramp (some road with slight inclination), it sometimes feels like the cars gives kick to shift from park to reverse then drive even though I still have the breaks applied, is that normal? Or might indicate a gear issue? But when i park the car at home I normally park the car and then leave in neutral position release the breaks the car moves a little then hold the break then shift to park, then when i have to use the car again I can start and shift with no issues and it goes smoothly...

Sorry for not explaining more. But, yes the "clunk" describes it perfectly ! Hard to believe that this is normal ? Is there a transmission update for those of us with this ?

Yes this is normal. I've recently been driving our Journey regularly and every so often I will feel the clunk when shift over to drive. It feels like the vehicles transmission has some kind of a delayed reaction causing the clunk so I try going a little slower when shifting to drive to avoid it. Now, I just can't wait to hear the famous extreme winter cold start sound that a few members have posted about and my wife has explained to me. BTW been driving the Journey steady to work for the past 2 weeks and lovin' it!

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• Official Dodge Support

I seldom drove our 2012, 6 cylinder SXT until now. Wife always said it was noisy when putting car in drive / reverse from the park position. Now I drive it and have noticed a slight noise from time to time when putting the car into one of those gears. Just thought I was not letting the car come to a full stop before changing a gear ?. Was told by another owner this is normal in the 6 speed trany. Anyone know how common this is ? Our 3 yrs warranty will be up in April 2015.

probak118,

I would bring this to the attention of your Dodge Service facility.

The vehicle has certain common characteristics however it isn't recommended to generalize this condition with what others may be experiencing.

What you've observed could be something different, keep us posted if you get a chance to have the trans. issue inspected.

Dodge Cares,

Have done that, when brought to either Racicot and or Countryside. All that was done was verify / install latest update end of story. You know how hard it is to get an issue to happen when you want it to ( at the dealer etc...) LOL. Hard to believe with many people experiencing this same condition it is not something that being looked at ? Since you are also in the Windsor area, maybe you can help us all get this issue looked into. I will bring my car to my dealer or another if you suggest other testing etc.... Contact me, or I can contact you ?

Thanks, Patrick

• Official Dodge Support

Dodge Cares,

Have done that, when brought to either Racicot and or Countryside. All that was done was verify / install latest update end of story. You know how hard it is to get an issue to happen when you want it to ( at the dealer etc...) LOL. Hard to believe with many people experiencing this same condition it is not something that being looked at ? Since you are also in the Windsor area, maybe you can help us all get this issue looked into. I will bring my car to my dealer or another if you suggest other testing etc.... Contact me, or I can contact you ?

Thanks, Patrick

probak118,

Thanks for the feedback.

We have great dealers in the area so it's not a matter of moving the vehicle elsewhere, however reproducing the issue is key here.

Try to think of situations or conditions where the issue can be reproduced on command and then bring it in.

Intermittent conditions are beyond frustrating to say the least...

Stay in contact with the dealers and do your best to show them the issue.

Also, this condition would be covered under your 5 years/100,000 kms warranty rather then the 3/60 which you mentioned would be coming up soon.

I have noticed that, when cold, if I let off the gas just before the 2-3 shift (happens to coincide with the speed I reach by the time I get to the corner when I leave the house) that it will clunk pretty consistently... Not sure that helps, but you may be able to reproduce it by doing that...

• 4 weeks later...

This is regarding the clunk you get (when cold) going from Park to Reverse or Drive.

Now I'll show my age.... Many years ago in the 70's when I bought my first automatic tranny car, an old mechanic whom I used and was brilliant told me to always start my automatic in neutral when the car was cold. He explained that, automatics don't circulate their fluid when in park but do in neutral and shifting from park to drive or reverse, brings the full fluid pressure online suddenly when the oil tends to be a little thicker and cold. He explained this neutral start, helped lubricate the transmission before the higher pressure of drive and reverse. So over the years I got into the habit of always starting that way. Recent vehicles like the Journey allow you to only start in park, but to this day by instinct, once I start up cold, I shift immediately from park to neutral for a few seconds before I move. I have no idea if any of this is true today, but I never get a clunk when shifting from neutral to drive or reverse. We are not talking about more than 10-15 seconds in neutral.

Old habits die hard.....

This is regarding the clunk you get (when cold) going from Park to Reverse or Drive.

Now I'll show my age.... Many years ago in the 70's when I bought my first automatic tranny car, an old mechanic whom I used and was brilliant told me to always start my automatic in neutral when the car was cold. He explained that, automatics don't circulate their fluid when in park but do in neutral and shifting from park to drive or reverse, brings the full fluid pressure online suddenly when the oil tends to be a little thicker and cold. He explained this neutral start, helped lubricate the transmission before the higher pressure of drive and reverse. So over the years I got into the habit of always starting that way. Recent vehicles like the Journey allow you to only start in park, but to this day by instinct, once I start up cold, I shift immediately from park to neutral for a few seconds before I move. I have no idea if any of this is true today, but I never get a clunk when shifting from neutral to drive or reverse. We are not talking about more than 10-15 seconds in neutral.

Old habits die hard.....

I will try this. I get an occasional clunk going from Park to Reverse first thing in the AM. After this initial clunk, I can barely hear/feel the transmission upshift/downshift.

I am doing the : Start, Shift to N, and wait for the garage door to open. Clunk is gone. Thank you for the tip. As I mentioned, I never really feel the transmission from this point on, except when I need to pass a car. So, Life is Good!

Edited by dhh3

Old habits die hard.....

I'm not as old as you (ha!), but I have always done this as well... It's a cold climate thing and your explanation is perfect. Even parking a garage it gets cold enough that I need to do this.

I get this also on my 2014, I'll try the neutral thing also cause it makes sense.

I think I heard the winter cold start sound today that was mentioned earlier. It sounded like a 1-2 second buzz when it started.

The buzz likely happens all the time... You may just be hearing it because sounds seem to be amplified by the cold. I think it is the solenoid in the transmission... All my Dodges do this in all weather conditions. Very normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Ice in the Summer?

Indoor ice... This is the State of Hockey, we have a ton of ice arenas and the prices are CHEAP compared to the rest of the country and Canada (especially in the summer). Due to our community hockey model a lot of the costs are subsidized through volunteer work and other methods, allowing us to have a lot more ice available to the general public than anywhere else and at a cost that is MUCH less...