Noise when going from park to drive / reverse - reverse to drive ?

probak118

Indoor ice... This is the State of Hockey, we have a ton of ice arenas and the prices are CHEAP compared to the rest of the country and Canada (especially in the summer). Due to our community hockey model a lot of the costs are subsidized through volunteer work and other methods, allowing us to have a lot more ice available to the general public than anywhere else and at a cost that is MUCH less...

Leagues run in the summer here too. Fewer games, but many of us play year round. Nothing quite like heading to the arena on a 90f day.....

Leagues run in the summer here too. Fewer games, but many of us play year round. Nothing quite like heading to the arena on a 90f day.....

Ours are PACKED all year long... But, us old guys get ice earlier in the day during the summer when the kids aren't eating all of it up... I have a game tonight at 10pm!

Fort Wayne has Komet Hockey Fever. They put ice on the floor of the Memorial Coliseum. When the second full time ice rink was built, no one thought that it would work. But, it is constantly full; free admission!

• 2 weeks later...

This is regarding the clunk you get (when cold) going from Park to Reverse or Drive.

Now I'll show my age.... Many years ago in the 70's when I bought my first automatic tranny car, an old mechanic whom I used and was brilliant told me to always start my automatic in neutral when the car was cold. He explained that, automatics don't circulate their fluid when in park but do in neutral and shifting from park to drive or reverse, brings the full fluid pressure online suddenly when the oil tends to be a little thicker and cold. He explained this neutral start, helped lubricate the transmission before the higher pressure of drive and reverse. So over the years I got into the habit of always starting that way. Recent vehicles like the Journey allow you to only start in park, but to this day by instinct, once I start up cold, I shift immediately from park to neutral for a few seconds before I move. I have no idea if any of this is true today, but I never get a clunk when shifting from neutral to drive or reverse. We are not talking about more than 10-15 seconds in neutral.

Old habits die hard.....

Thanks for the info. my journey does this too. i will try the park to neutral thing too.

Happens in all wx conditions.

By the way Lobitz68 Minnesota is further north than where

the most populous part of Canada lies - southern Ontario.

I know... I am reminded constantly my my Canadian friends... I tried to Google Maps Melville, but there are several of them and they are all in different provinces. I tend to think of the Winnipeg area in my head, which makes MN look like a vacation destination.

I don't experience this in the warm months...

Happens in all wx conditions.

By the way Lobitz68 Minnesota is further north than where

the most populous part of Canada lies - southern Ontario.

AKA. The center of the universe. (in their minds)

Ok, I'm just kidding! A little poke of fun from the hinterland, out here on the Prairie.

I know... I am reminded constantly my my Canadian friends... I tried to Google Maps Melville, but there are several of them and they are all in different provinces. I tend to think of the Winnipeg area in my head, which makes MN look like a vacation destination.

I don't experience this in the warm months...

Melville Saskatchewan!

Pronoucer for the Americans; Sasss Kaaa Chew Wannn. Now say it fast 3 times.

HP

I was having this "clunking/jerking" issue almost every time I drove my vehicle. I eventually (begrudgingly) took it back to my dealer just a few hundred miles past my 36k warranty. Long story short, the conclusion the dealership came to was that my transmission fluid was very dirty and was throwing off the mapping technology that the transmission uses to efficiently shift around. I was very skeptical that this was accurate since I shouldn't be replacing my fluid at 36k miles (even the manual doesn't suggest it til 60k I believe). I was already out $100 or so for the "inspection fee," so I figured I'd throw another few hundred on to try to fix the issues. They gave me new transmission fluid and then remapped my transmission. This was about two months ago, since then I have yet have any jerking when shifting from Park or Reverse to Drive. Annoying that I had to change the transmission fluid so early, but I'm glad it fixed my problem.

There's something terribly wrong if you have buildup and debris in your fluid so soon. I'm at 76k miles now on my 2012 and still get the occasional clunk going from park to reverse or drive. I'll probably get my fluid changed out soon since it's been through 2 hard/hot summers and some towing.

I think the manual says only change it at 60k if it's a frequent towing vehicle or police vehicle, etc. The manual actually doesn't say when to change it for normal conditions; which is very odd.

While I agree it seemed early, it fixed my clunking issue. My transmission was jerking essentially every time I shifted from park to drive. If it is something serious, there's nothing I can really do until it starts throwing errors or dies out on me; it's running like a charm now.

Did they mention any metal shards or shavings in the old fluid? I'd be interested to know if there were alot of deposits (which could signal a much larger problem).