2014 SXT FWD suspention upgrade to RT

Just bought my new Journey SXT for a great deal... couldn't reason an extra 5k for the RT and figured that I could upgrade it for way less. Has anyone completed this upgrade?

I have the "touring suspention"

Any parts list for the upgrade is appreciated.

I know the rear sway bar and shocks/struts need changed but do the springs also need changed. Will everything bolt up OK? Or are their more parts different here.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Everyone has their reasons, but I don't think you would need to swap out the struts. The springs should lower it about an inch. Which I'm considering doing to my 2015 Crossroad. The swaybar should make a nicer difference. By changing the rear only it should make the DJ more neutral feel instead of under steering. I haven't had an opportunity to look through the oem parts guide, but it should be a nicer feeling ride.

I have the Touring Suspension as well. On the option part of the build sheet, it lists 4 springs. So higher strength springs make it Touring. I would guess that the R/T would add thicker sway bars.

I would think that the springs are a little looser on the touring, and tighter on the R/T...

From my limited experience with our R/T Rallye AWD and SXT Blacktop FWD (I'm not allowed to drive the Blacktop), the Blacktop's suspension is a step under the R/T in terms of performance and a step above the 2013 Crew we tested early last year. I would imagine that Crew had the touring suspension. My R/T is more composed during spirited driving, and we bang our hands on my lift gate more than the SXT due to it being closer to the ground. The SXT Blacktop is a decent performer, though not as stiff as my R/T. That Crew was definitely plusher and absorbed the meteor impacts and canyons on the roads a lot better.

My guess is Dodge accomplished this by using lowering springs with higher spring rates, and thicker sway bars, and matched the springs with higher valve rate struts. When you upgrade to stiffer springs, it's a good idea to match the struts and a bad idea to stick with the softer strut -- they'll wear out faster. So, if you wanted to get the R/T suspension, it would be best to get the springs, struts, sway bars. If you go onto cars.com you can search for R/Ts, get the VIN, and ask the dealer parts department for suspension part numbers on that VIN. Then you can go onto online parts discount sites to get the cost.

Is it worthwhile? Personally, I would have repeated what I already did and bought the R/T (you get more than just the suspension). If I was in the position you are in, I would get aftermarket struts, H&R lowering springs, R/T sway bars, upsize the wheels, and call it a day without trying to get OEM part numbers together. The sway bars alone are probably enough to get what you're looking for, in tandem with upsize wheels (thinner sidewalls reduces tire flexing). Whatever you decide, don't expect the ride to go from a what it is now to a GT race car. You're gonna have a bad day if you have that expectation.

From my limited experience with our R/T Rallye AWD and SXT Blacktop FWD (I'm not allowed to drive the Blacktop), the Blacktop's suspension is a step under the R/T in terms of performance and a step above the 2013 Crew we tested early last year. I would imagine that Crew had the touring suspension. My R/T is more composed during spirited driving, and we bang our hands on my lift gate more than the SXT due to it being closer to the ground. The SXT Blacktop is a decent performer, though not as stiff as my R/T. That Crew was definitely plusher and absorbed the meteor impacts and canyons on the roads a lot better.

My guess is Dodge accomplished this by using lowering springs with higher spring rates, and thicker sway bars, and matched the springs with higher valve rate struts. When you upgrade to stiffer springs, it's a good idea to match the struts and a bad idea to stick with the softer strut -- they'll wear out faster. So, if you wanted to get the R/T suspension, it would be best to get the springs, struts, sway bars. If you go onto cars.com you can search for R/Ts, get the VIN, and ask the dealer parts department for suspension part numbers on that VIN. Then you can go onto online parts discount sites to get the cost.

Is it worthwhile? Personally, I would have repeated what I already did and bought the R/T (you get more than just the suspension). If I was in the position you are in, I would get aftermarket struts, H&R lowering springs, R/T sway bars, upsize the wheels, and call it a day without trying to get OEM part numbers together. The sway bars alone are probably enough to get what you're looking for, in tandem with upsize wheels (thinner sidewalls reduces tire flexing). Whatever you decide, don't expect the ride to go from a what it is now to a GT race car. You're gonna have a bad day if you have that expectation.

Speaking of the H&R springs... anyone know if they fit the AWD models? Last I checked they were listed for the FWD model, but I can't imagine much (if anything) is different.

I would think that the springs are a little looser on the touring, and tighter on the R/T...

I would say tighter springs over stock for the Crossroad, and thicker sway bars for the R/T. Just guessing. I have 4 springs listed on the option side of the build sheet. This tells me that at least the springs are different over stock. Mine doesn't mention the sway bars. Maybe someone with an R/T can post what his build sheet says. Maybe there are 3 sets of springs: stock, harder, and hardest!

• 4 years later...

Is the upgraded suspension what tightens up the steering?

My sxt awd feels way to loose. At highway speeds I get white knuckles as it feels like steering is drifting left and right drying to keep it centered. 

Edited by SRfR

12 hours ago, SRfR said:

Is the upgraded suspension what tightens up the steering?

My sxt awd feels way to loose. At highway speeds I get white knuckles as it feels like steering is drifting left and right drying to keep it centered. 

That is not normal whatever suspension package you might have. Sounds like you have worn steering components. As stated, you should get it checked out by a shop.