Removing headrests

redtomatoman

Has anyone had experience removing the headrests? From what I understand, the battery has to be disconnected so that some airbag light does not come on. What does that mean? Hopefully an airbag is not going to deploy. Is this light something the dealer has to turn off? If I do remove the headrests, should I not reconnect the battery until the headrest is reinstalled?

Also, can the 2nd row headrests be removed using the same procedure as the front headrests?

Peace.

Active headrests will move forward in case of impact, so they've an electrical connection, and if you remove them the airbag light will turn on to indicate a fault. I don't know if it will turn itself off when you connect the headrests again, however the owner manual says that they should only be removed by an authorized service center.

The second row headrests aren't active so in theory they can be removed without provoking any fault (though, again, the manual say they should be manipulated only by the dealer).

I've removed the head rests in the 2nd row and popped them back in, no problems.

how did you remove the 2nd row head rest, went to remove mine in a 2011 main street raised them up as far as they would go but it stopped when fully up postion didnt try to force it up to hard .maybee needed to get more rough with it but thought id ask before i break it LOL

• Official Dodge Support

I removed the front ones no problem, until i saw wires stick out. I unplugged the side airbag sensor. So be careful.

It is recommended NOT to remove the head restraints. Doing so could lead to an inadvertent airbag deployment which could result in serious injury or death.

It is recommended NOT to remove the head restraints.

Chris

What would you recommend to as what we all should do? I have a set of water resistant seat covers made specifically for this application that I would like to put on my front seats to protect my leather seats as I windsurf and kayak a lot.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• Official Dodge Support

Chris

What would you recommend to as what we all should do? I have a set of water resistant seat covers made specifically for this application that I would like to put on my front seats to protect my leather seats as I windsurf and kayak a lot.

Terry

Terry,

It is not recommended that you use seat covers on your vehicle. The following is taken directly out of the owners manual:

Do not use accessory seat covers or place objects

between you and the side air bags; the performance

could be adversely affected and/or objects

could be pushed into you, causing serious injury.

While against Dodge's recommendations, one thing you can always do is cut the fabric of the seat cover between the two seat posts and sew in either a zipper or some strong velcro. While not ideal, it's better than potential serious injury, or death! :D

• 1 year later...

i removed the 2nd row head rest and have the 3rd row seats folded down and does give a better view behind the journey. as my came with the 8.4 screen but no rear cam installed from the factory. last time at the dealer i was looking at the new journeys and all the ones with the 8.4 did not have the rear cam. cant figure out why the dealer would order them this way since you cant add it later from the dealer.... oh well....

• 2 years later...

Hey guys wonder if you could help me out I remove my headrest very stupidly and the blue and brown wires came apart from the yellow clip I want to reconnect them but I don't know what spot they go to can somebody please tell me if the blue and brown wires reconnect with the pink and white and which one goes where so basically I need to know does blue line up with pink and white or blue lines up with black or does brown line up with pink and white orders Brown Line up with black please help me I'm in a bad Jam

i removed the 2nd row head rest and have the 3rd row seats folded down and does give a better view behind the journey. as my came with the 8.4 screen but no rear cam installed from the factory. last time at the dealer i was looking at the new journeys and all the ones with the 8.4 did not have the rear cam. cant figure out why the dealer would order them this way since you cant add it later from the dealer.... oh well....

When I bought my DJ two years ago, it has the 8.4 but no Camera. As as part of my purchase deal, I had my Dealer install the Camera. I paid for the Camera, and they installed it for free. Not sure where you are getting your info from. Bramfrank installed a Camera himself. Not sure if anyone else has done this.

I always leave the middle 2nd row headrest/armrest down. Better visibility.

Edited by dhh3

When I bought my DJ two years ago, it has the 8.4 but no Camera. As as part of my purchase deal, I had my Dealer install the Camera. I paid for the Camera, and they installed it for free. Not sure where you are getting your info from. Bramfrank installed a Camera himself. Not sure if anyone else has done this.

I always leave the middle 2nd row headrest/armrest down. Better visibility.

well on the 2011 you couldn't add the rear camera to your journey it was almost a yr later that it then became available to have it added and i had checked several dealers about the back up camera right after buying it....but that is history....

• 2 months later...

2015 Town and Country Platinum.  Never heard of such a thing as active headrest.  Bought some seat covers which said to remove headrests.  Was able to get the button side to come up but the other side locked at its max height.  I did not know you could just press in the sides of the plastic (both sides) so I twisted (unscrewed) the cap and it popped up allowing me to get to the push tabs on each side.  I had no idea there would be a wire in there.  I felt some resistance as I rocked it upward.  All of a sudden it came out with a wire and plug on the end of the shaft.  I looked down in the hole and there was no sign of the other end of the plug. Got on the tablet and found out it is a no no to remove the headrest.  Crap!  Also read that a trip to the dealer would be needed to re-install.  Luckily I did not pull the wires out of the plug...it just came unplugged.  Thinking that I am not going to the dealer to have them plug it back in, I pulled outward on the plastic on the backside of the seat....just toward the top. It pulled out enough to see the other end of that wire.  I snaked the wire/headrest back into their holes and plugged the wires back in.  Seems to be fine.  No warning lights no issues.....it was just unplugged.  Anyway, returned seat covers.  Now that I know how to unplug the headrest it wouldn't be a big deal to remove if I ever need to again.

36 minutes ago, John Cicanese said:

2015 Town and Country Platinum.  Never heard of such a thing as active headrest.  Bought some seat covers which said to remove headrests.  Was able to get the button side to come up but the other side locked at its max height.  I did not know you could just press in the sides of the plastic (both sides) so I twisted (unscrewed) the cap and it popped up allowing me to get to the push tabs on each side.  I had no idea there would be a wire in there.  I felt some resistance as I rocked it upward.  All of a sudden it came out with a wire and plug on the end of the shaft.  I looked down in the hole and there was no sign of the other end of the plug. Got on the tablet and found out it is a no no to remove the headrest.  Crap!  Also read that a trip to the dealer would be needed to re-install.  Luckily I did not pull the wires out of the plug...it just came unplugged.  Thinking that I am not going to the dealer to have them plug it back in, I pulled outward on the plastic on the backside of the seat....just toward the top. It pulled out enough to see the other end of that wire.  I snaked the wire/headrest back into their holes and plugged the wires back in.  Seems to be fine.  No warning lights no issues.....it was just unplugged.  Anyway, returned seat covers.  Now that I know how to unplug the headrest it wouldn't be a big deal to remove if I ever need to again.

Be very careful with that sort of thing.

Next time disconnect the battery before working on the vehicle and, should you happen to do something like what you did in accidentally unplugging something, the first thing to do is also to disconnect the battery.

There are lots of sensitive circuits buried in your vehicle and plugging and unplugging devices can generate spikes that can kill an expensive module or worse, possibly fire off your airbags.  Obviously that would be a very expensive mistake.

You might also want to consider investing in a factory extended warranty if you plan to keep the vehicle - again, the modules are expensive, but worse, the diagnostics can take lots of otherwise chargeable time.

• 2 weeks later...