Time to say good bye….

OhareFred

Well, my 09 DJ has come to its end.  My son was driving it because his Sebring Convertible was hit while parked by a semi a month ago.  Total loss.  Monday the DJ an 8 other cars get hit by…..a semi. Another TOTAL LOSS!   He lives on a side street!!!  Why semi trucks are driving there is beyond me.  It’s ILLEGAL to take any truck over 5 tons on a side street in Chicago.  At least the first time he got the DOT # off the cab before the driver fled.  This was a pure hit and run.  Bastard.

Any way, thanks to all who gave advise to me!  Everyone be safe and stay healthy!

Cheers

On 8/14/2021 at 11:20 AM, OhareFred said:

Well, my 09 DJ has come to its end.  My son was driving it because his Sebring Convertible was hit while parked by a semi a month ago.  Total loss.  Monday the DJ an 8 other cars get hit by…..a semi. Another TOTAL LOSS!   He lives on a side street!!!  Why semi trucks are driving there is beyond me.  It’s ILLEGAL to take any truck over 5 tons on a side street in Chicago.  At least the first time he got the DOT # off the cab before the driver fled.  This was a pure hit and run.  Bastard.

Any way, thanks to all who gave advise to me!  Everyone be safe and stay healthy!

Cheers

WOW what a way to have to "bow out" of the "scene" here! Hope all works out for you and your son.

That is sort of the fear I have with my son and the late night driving he has to do with his job. Not so much worried for other vehicles hitting them, but the natures wildlife and possible loose farm animals(Deer, BEAR, Horses, Cows)  on our twisty narrow country roads.

As luck would have it my brother in law was about to get rid of his Hyundai Alantra . His 36 month lease is up. We are going to pay his buyout and my son will drive that.  Car has less than 10k miles on it.  My son has it now (bro-in-law said do me a favor and get it out of my garage lol).  Getting around $9300 for the DJ and the buyout is 10k, so almost breaking even…sucks that I had a MaxCare lifetime $100 deductible  and a lifetime zero deductible Powertrain warranty…

Edited by OhareFred

• 5 months later...

Well I’m sorry to hear this, I’ve enjoyed your comments over the years.  That’s a crazy amount for an ‘09, how many miles were on it at the end?  That’s my biggest worry for my ‘09 and it’s Lifetime warranties, that someone will hit me and total it out.  Although I expect with over 350,000 miles it wouldn’t take much to total it……

Happy roads ahead for you……

• 3 weeks later...

The timing belt has been changed three times according to the maintenance schedule.  This car came with a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty and I’m not really a fan of extended warranties, but since it already had the powertrain warranty, the Chrysler Lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty was only $1800 bucks more.  Since one of the requirements is you have to follow the scheduled maintenance schedule, I never miss a one, and the oil changed every 6,000 miles.  At my next oil change, I’ll be due for another tranny service, we’ll see what they say…..

i also had never thought much of the ext warranties myself but after having my 2011 70 k with no big prob, i traded it in on my 2014 and ended up buying the lifetime warranty on it over the internet cost me $2200 for it, LOL my local dealership wouldn't even sell the lifetime one, as i really liked the style of the journey. I have had to use it 2 times so far nothing real big both visit would have cost me over (1k together) but only had to pay 100 each visit so around 800 so i am still in the hole for a while which is fine with me....LOL

Oh I’ve used my warranty lots and lots of times.  It’s had nine batteries (I have an unexplained problem with it not starting at random), I’ve had lots of suspension parts replaced, the radio, antenna, oil pan, radiator and several other things.  The good thing about my dealer is that they don’t charge me the $100 deductible because I bought the warranty from them.  That alone has save me thousands of dollars.

I know Chrysler would love to get rid of my warranty, every time the car comes in, a big red screen pops up on my service advisors screen asking him to confirm that I’m the original owner.  There are only three things that can end the warranty, my death, selling the car, since it’s not transferable or being in a crash that totals out the car.  After all, how much is an ‘09 with 350, 000 miles on it be worth?

I’m curious, where did you buy your warranty?  I didn’t think Chrysler that warranty any more…..

1 hour ago, brwengel said:

Oh I’ve used my warranty lots and lots of times.  It’s had nine batteries (I have an unexplained problem with it not starting at random), I’ve had lots of suspension parts replaced, the radio, antenna, oil pan, radiator and several other things.  The good thing about my dealer is that they don’t charge me the $100 deductible because I bought the warranty from them.  That alone has save me thousands of dollars.

I know Chrysler would love to get rid of my warranty, every time the car comes in, a big red screen pops up on my service advisors screen asking him to confirm that I’m the original owner.  There are only three things that can end the warranty, my death, selling the car, since it’s not transferable or being in a crash that totals out the car.  After all, how much is an ‘09 with 350, 000 miles on it be worth?

I’m curious, where did you buy your warranty?  I didn’t think Chrysler that warranty any more…..

from a dodge dealership up in michigan over the internet,,,,mine doesn't cover batteries or wear items.....and yes the 09 came with the lifetime warranty as they were trying to assure everyone that chrysler was going to stay in business,,,,,,if you check on it i know if my repair cost more than what the car is worth they will only cover up to that and the rest is on me and then they can void the warranty.  and yes also dodge doesn't offer this max warranty any more