2010 3.5L Overheating, no heat

MoNab

Allen key needed for #2 screw in picture for air bleeding. His 3.5 was over heating as well.

https://www.chargerforums.com/threads/burping-the-coolant-system.320393/

If air lock comes back there air coming into system some where.

Edited by John/Horace

47 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Allen key needed for #2 screw in picture for air bleeding. His 3.5 was over heating as well.

https://www.chargerforums.com/threads/burping-the-coolant-system.320393/

If air lock comes back there air coming into system some where.

Are you sure that’s the right engine? Looks different to me.

For some little context, I was driving it alL day today without any issues. It then started overheating, after I hit the gas hard. No heat in the cabin. Coolant started expanding and exiting the reservoir. 

On 2020-05-09 at 4:12 PM, John/Horace said:

With the plastic covers in place on the newer cars, it’s pretty hard to see anything.

The pic is the 3.6/bleeder screw built into plastic thermostat housing. image.thumb.jpg.92e4cd28d8551b101d0ca855356cea07.jpg

I’ve found the bleeder screw. Tried bleeding it. Keeps overheating. The hoses that go to the front heater core front the engine one is cold one is hot. Replaced the heater core same issue, I’m thinking it’s a bad head gasket 

Try pressure testing system, could be reservoir cap or  water pump or something letting air in system. On cars with cap on top of rad it’s sometimes easy to see air bubbles coming to the top with car started and cap off. 

One hose going to heater core is supply, the other is return. Often there is a bypass valve actuator controlled by hvac that enables flow to core. With air bubbles in system water pump cavitates and can’t push glycol where it needs to flow to, even if hvac is functioning correctly. 

Edited by John/Horace

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 9:59 PM, MoNab said:

Hi all, my 2010 3.5l is over heating when you drive the car for a half hour, and there is no heat in the whole car. What could be the issue?

We have a 2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet 3.6. I had no heat and was overheating within 10 minutes of starting the car. We replaced the heater core, cooling fan resistor, thermostat, coolant reservoir cap and then finally... we replaced the radiator and all was well!!!! Now due to the overheating, we have to replace the oil cooler and the oil pressure sensor. I am guessing it is your radiator with the overheating and the heater core for the no heat issue! I also think replacing the thermostat helped us a ton also. What made us replace the heater core was because it was leaking coolant onto the driver side floor board. Don't let it keep overheating, it caused us a slew of other issues! Hence why we are now replacing the oil pressure senor and the oil cooler.