I like it just fine

I like it ...

My daughter wanted a Jeep Wrangler so we bought her a Dodge Journey .... lol. That  went over ok as the Journey seems to be a great car. But she longed for a Jeep still and we were blessed to find a good deal on one. So now I’m driving the Journey and I could not be happier. I don’t understand all the negative reviews .... mine runs well and is very comfortable. What can I say I like it just fine !!!!

:welcome:

Hopefully, you will still be saying that in a year. At about 2.5 years in, I still find mine to be one of the most enjoyable vehicles that I have owned over the last 40 years. As long as you expect it to do what it is made to do, and don't expect it to be what it is not.

Thanks I really think they did a good job designing these. I read about issues with heater controls and finicky transmission shifting but I’ve seen worse in other makes. I enjoy the comfort and visibility the Journey gives me. It feels safe and is fun to drive.  I think my favorite complaint I’ve read so far is the one that says “ when it rains and I open my door I get wet “ Makes me smile every time ... lol  I look forward to learning much from the more experienced than I on this forum and who knows maybe one day I’ll figure something out that helps someone. For now I could not be happier with my Journey.  

welcome to the group and congrats on buying a used journey 9 yrs old and not having something to wrong,as you know you always here from the complainers and hardly ever from a happy owner. i had a 2011 traded it in with 70 k no real problems and my 2014 has 100 k on it with only 1 or 2  real problem but was covered under my warranty. plan on running this one into the ground as i bought the lifetime warranty on it.

I still have my 09. Has only 97k miles. Had it’s share of issues, but I have a lifetime extended warranty so don’t worry about it...

I did just replace the factory radio & Uconnect system with an aftermarket Kenwood system, which was a breeze, sounds and works great.

1 hour ago, OhareFred said:

I still have my 09. Has only 97k miles. Had it’s share of issues, but I have a lifetime extended warranty so don’t worry about it...

I did just replace the factory radio & Uconnect system with an aftermarket Kenwood system, which was a breeze, sounds and works great.

beating the system....LOL

• Official Dodge Support
20 hours ago, I like it ... said:

My daughter wanted a Jeep Wrangler so we bought her a Dodge Journey .... lol. That  went over ok as the Journey seems to be a great car. But she longed for a Jeep still and we were blessed to find a good deal on one. So now I’m driving the Journey and I could not be happier. I don’t understand all the negative reviews .... mine runs well and is very comfortable. What can I say I like it just fine !!!!

Welcome to the Dodge Family! So happy to hear that you love your Journey! Feel free to reach back if you need assistance with anything in the future.
Rob
DodgeCares

Not sure where to ask this so please excuse my ignorance ..... I have been wanting to get a Chilton Manual for the Journey but can’t seem to find one ???? I guess because they never tear up ??? Lol Any ideas where I can find one ?  Thanks and thanks for the warm welcome from the group. I look forward to many years of enjoyment from both the DJ and the group 

Don’t think there is one...

23 minutes ago, I like it ... said:

Not sure where to ask this so please excuse my ignorance ..... I have been wanting to get a Chilton Manual for the Journey but can’t seem to find one ???? I guess because they never tear up ??? Lol Any ideas where I can find one ?  Thanks and thanks for the warm welcome from the group. I look forward to many years of enjoyment from both the DJ and the group 

Yeah, not sure why the reviews are so bad. I love mine. Does great in the snow. Pulls my boat. Lots of room. One of the most comfortable drives I've ever had, especially on long road trips. Plus, I really, really love the look of it.

I work long hard hours and I enjoy the comfort of the Journey.  I sort of fall into it and fall out of it....Thank God it almost drives itself !!!!  

My other vehicles are a 1997 F350 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel and a 2005 Mustang GT.  I have had good luck with both but neither compare to the 

comfort of the Journey.  I often drive at lunch and when my friends are with me there are four  6 ft plus guys averaging over 220 lbs each and 

all are comfortable.  Can't say that about the Mustang.... LOL 

Welcome...  I still really enjoy my 2011.  88,000+ miles.  I had to replace the transmission,  but that was covered by my lifetime warranty.  For the most part, it still drives like the day I brought it home.  Still gets 25mpg at high elevation with a speed limit of 75mph.  Taking it on a road trip tomorrow.   Had to choose between my 2011 DJ or my 2019 Tacoma.   No contest,  the Tacoma barely gets 21mpg on the highways here!  Enjoy.

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support
16 hours ago, redtomatoman said:

Welcome...  I still really enjoy my 2011.  88,000+ miles.  I had to replace the transmission,  but that was covered by my lifetime warranty.  For the most part, it still drives like the day I brought it home.  Still gets 25mpg at high elevation with a speed limit of 75mph.  Taking it on a road trip tomorrow.   Had to choose between my 2011 DJ or my 2019 Tacoma.   No contest,  the Tacoma barely gets 21mpg on the highways here!  Enjoy.

Peace.

Love to hear that redtomatoman! You made the right choice for your road-trip vehicle!  Feel free to reach out to us if you need assistance with anything in the future.
Rob
DodgeCares

2011 here, 89k and climbing. 
No issues (other than needing to change the battery when the gremlins came out that one time...)

2012 might be susceptible to the undersized brake 'issue', which means check your brakes for excessive wear around 30k mile intervals.
You got her the V6? I hope so, the I4 is less 100 hp, and gets the same fuel economy.

My wife like driving the Journey a lot, and even more now that she's drove an old 'jeep clone' (Ford Troller) off road for 30 miles, and has been driving global econoboxes the past three months(Chevy Onix, Fiat Uno, VW Gol), she always tells me she wishes she had the journey in Brazil, because it handles turns in the long mountains climbs better than the 90hp econo-hatches she rents.

Wife's complaints are:

The blind spots are massive (she's used to small sub-compacts; the DJ blind spots are normal if you're used to big/modern cars)

The fuel economy is poop in the city (16 mpg city, is our average), and 18 for mixed is pretty much on par for minivans and SUVs.
Turning radius is too big. (again, she like sub-compacts)
Difficult to estimate rear bumper distance when in revered because:

No rear camera, makes backing up difficult for her.
Automatic transmissions "Feel Slow" although, my wife drives manual all the time, the journey's V6's 6sp slush box is objectively slow, but hella smooth.
It's the same car her step-uncle drives, and she has a negative predisposition, as it's "a car my uncle would drive" 

She likes:
hella comfy front seat, seating position, and automatic HVAC
Boston Speakers are not loud, but fairly clear.
super well laid out control scheme  of HVAC, radio (stack, and on steering wheel), Cruise control, and U connect (4.2) is really intuitive, and easy to use while driving.

V6 can do (normal by american standard) hard pulls on the freeway (although she hates the slow downshifts) it can easily overtake semis.
Car's never given her a single problem at all EVER,

Finally, The Dodge Journey is a strong reputation in Brazil; The Fiat Fremont is the main fair for I4 and diesel, but the Journey is the V6 Pentastar powered "well-off respectable person's car"; In the US it's like "meh- can't afford a compass"; in brazil it's "Que Legal"

Edited by NavalLacrosse

Wow that is a great review of the DJ !!!! Thank you NavalLacrosse for sharing with us !!!!  I have been reading about the brakes being undersized but as I understand the 2013 and up dual piston set up can be retrofitted to the 2012 as long as you have 17 inch plus size wheels. I live in the mountains so brake wear us common I’ll upgrade this summer. I’m used to driving a large diesel pickup so the  DJ seems like a fast  nimble sports car by comparison lol .  I too average about 18 mpg but it’s always stop and go in the mountains so I never get great mpg in any vehicle. The DJ laughs at the mountain grades as I zoom by little fuel miser cars I feel great about my decision everyday!!!! My 2012 has 122k on it but has been meticulously maintained by the previous owner. I have all service records. I plan to reach 300k in her someday !!!!! What is the high water mark on a DJ ??? 

On 2/22/2020 at 4:39 AM, I like it ... said:

!!!!! What is the high water mark on a DJ ??? 

The literal fording depth?: Look at the snorkel under the hood. it breaths from the hood seam. I'm sure the car will fail/float long before that depth of water is reached; The battery is in the wheel well, so you'll likely lose electrics with water above the bottom of the headlights.

High Milage?: No idea. PentaSTAR V6 is the go to engine for all things FCA. I'm sure  there is some airport 2011 caravan out there with the Pentastar V6 and 6sp trans has done A LOT of miles. Make sure to check the warranty; FCA extended a intake gasket warranty on 1st gen Pentastars. (10y/150k?) ... Do yourself a favor, if the engine starts smoking, check that gasket before it bricks the Catalytic Conv. 

Edited by NavalLacrosse
SpelLiNg