Hey, 

I have a 2010 Journey, 2.4L, with approximately 195,000km. Lately I’ve been noticing some swaying coming from the rear end. It happens on the highway with gusts of wind, or in icy conditions, or when cornering. I’ve recently replaced the rear struts and upper control arms with the adjustable arms, as the wheels were cambered. The vehicle is still swaying and I figured I’d ask for some opinions on what to try changing out next. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Travisxpeters said:

@larryl Tires are 2 months old. The swaying is bad enough that it almost feels like you’re going to start fishtailing!

was it swaying that bad before the new tires?, broken belts can cause some problems..other than that you have covered the rear problems that i can think of...what shape is the front struts and tires like? i am assuming you had a 4 wheel alignments done after installing the upper rear arms?

25 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

was it swaying that bad before the new tires?, broken belts can cause some problems..other than that you have covered the rear problems that i can think of...what shape is the front struts and tires like? i am assuming you had a 4 wheel alignments done after installing the upper rear arms?

I didn’t notice the swaying that bad before the tires were changed. There was some bad wear marks on the inner edge of the rear tires, so I got new tires all around. I had the alignment done afterwards and it was fine for a bit. What belts are you referring to? The front struts seem fine, but I’ll check them more thoroughly. 

Edited by Travisxpeters

The tire has “belts” in them. As in Steel Belted Radial etc.  Nothing that can be replaced, you need a new tire. Try going to where you purchased the tires, tell them your issue, see what they say.  Also, are you sure they did a 4 wheel alignment, not just a front wheel?

1 hour ago, Travisxpeters said:

Would worn lower control arm bushings or sway bar links factor in? Im not sure how worn they are, but I’ve put on 80,000 km or so myself and haven’t changed any of the rear suspension parts besides struts and upper control arms.

Well yes they could but one would think these should have been inspected at the time also??

Don't assume anything when it comes to what was inspected. Bushing and sway bar links most differently would cause this problem. Make sure these things are inspected by a competent mechanic, not just a tire shop. While I like Discount Tire for taking care of my tire needs, they do not do anything mechanical. For that, I have to go elsewhere. Make sure that who you use for the inspection is properly trained and certified for this type of work.

I’m gonna be in the garage Friday and have an alignment scheduled for Saturday, so I’ll post an update then. If that fixes the issue, then @Mr and Mrs V Dunn may need to get the rear suspension looked at.

Edited by Travisxpeters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting and timely read as my wife's 2012 Journey has started exhibiting similar little "shimmies", slightly detectable on dry pavement but particularly unnerving on snow & icy roads making it feel like its starting to fishtail.  Neither of us feel comfortable driving it on other than dry roads.  I already told her to make an appointment with her favorite garage to inspect things.

• 1 month later...

I have the stability issue as well on my 2013. New tires helped, an alignment check showed that the front was good, the rear camber was close to the limit of negative camber. The toe was toed out past the limit. I checked the control arms and bushings, and found play in the inner bushings of the toe links.

Before I attempt to replace these, has anyone done this? How about the adjustment cam bolts?

Hank

when working on the rear the upper rear trailing arm is a non adjustable OEM part, the bottom ones are adjustable, i ended up going aftermarket with the upper ones as you can buy them so that they can be adjusted, they can be bought off amazon ,rock auto or most local part stores

You are in the rust belt ...Ontario so corrosion in suspension parts is horrible.

PB blaster or other penetrating oil and let it sit over night. If still stuck Yellow cyclinder of gas is MPS I think they call it; hotter than propane although not up to acetylene worth a try.

Use a 6 point socket or wrench not 12 point, they seem to grab better on seizes stuff. Sawzall or zip blade last resort I guess.

image.thumb.jpg.61e576955d3220e7f26af9916c494d13.jpgAnother option is a nut splitter. It wrecks nut but doesn’t damage threads underneath. Princess Auto (Harbour Freight) and Canadian Tire carry them. Buying online from web site and pick up only, no store entry in my area, social distancing. Larger one is $25 at crappy tire regular price.

Edited by John/Horace

• 2 weeks later...