Does anyone elses 3.6 feel sluggish?

SRfR

Coming from a honda 3.5 (Saturn vue). I noticed Ford went with a 3.5 turbo in the explorer it definitely felt more torque(y) when accelerating from zero. Is there anything that can be done to gain more torque or higher rpm's in the 3.6 pentastar of my journey? I love how comfortable they made the journey,  but wish the engine was better tuned. 

Is yours Front Wheel or All Wheel Drive? Mine is FWD and is a rocket ship when floored. Too much power for the front wheels - I get torque steer and really have to hold on. How many miles on yours? Give the tranny time to adapt to your driving style and it should feel more responsive after a few thousand miles of adaptation and break-in. 

7 hours ago, SRfR said:

I love how comfortable they made the journey,  but wish the engine was better tuned. 

You have assessed the issue correctly.   It is the tune.  Dodge tuned it for mpg.  As Journeyman correctly stated, the transmission will adapt to your driving style somewhat, but not enough to compensate for the tune.  The pentastar has lots of power, you just have to wait for the computer to know that you want to accelerate.  I use the manual mode when I need immediate power.   That works fine for me most of the time.  The DJ is a great vehicle.   It would be unbeatable with a more responsive tune.

Peace. 

It's awd. I just presume it's the wheel base and weight ratio compared to what I was used too. But I'm still more than satisfied and like the setup of my journey with the spare underneath for trunk space.

• 7 months later...

Hi all!  I have an AWD with the 3.6, It has a lot of pep and gets sometimes a bit of torque steer.  I have had my transmission reprogrammed two times at the dealer ( i received notices from dodge to have them do something to it).

The second time they programmed it, mileage has seriously suffered but there seems to be a lot more power in the front tires. I am not sure if any power is going to the rear tires (LOL).

Update: Post recall fix to have control modular replaced. 

My 2017 journey sxt Awd 3.6 seems to be peppy, but still has that limp mode especially when going over sizable speed humps or inclined surfaces where even if on wheel senses less traction the system severely limits the accelerator.

I got stuck in snow the first year owning my journey because of the traction control system.

I no longer trust or have the confidence my journeys all wheel drive will plow through even a couple inches of snow. Like my older Saturn vue Honda J35 V6 awd would do. 

Edited by SRfR
Grammar spell check

• 3 months later...

Electric is all torque at zero off the line, no waiting for rpm build up. My journey I think I learned what's wrong with it. P0456 leak, system test failed. Would that have anything to do with a recent ECM replacement from a recall?