Very noisy when driving through puddles or snow

ladybug

Hello all,

First post here and my 2015 Journey is my first brand new car. I've noticed that when driving through somewhat significant puddles, and now moderate snow pack, it sounds very loud inside the car around the bottom of the doors. Honestly sounds like the entire underside of the car is made of plastic.

Is this normal for this vehicle?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Road noise of the type your describing is let me say "in the ear of the beholder",

what you may find objectionable I may not.

Front wheel drive of course you tend to hear more wheel debris versus rear wheel

drive and yes the fender liners are plastic like material.

Thank you for the welcome and the reply :-)

While I understand that noise can be subjective, I've never heard anything this loud on any car I've ever owned before, and my husband has also commented on how loud it is. When driving in the rain, for example, and there is runoff running down the side of the road, the noise of it hitting the underside of the car is so loud it's startling.

Edited by ladybug

I don't find mine loud at all. I own 5 vehicles and have not noticed any discernible differences when driving in the same conditions between cars. If you find that up I think something is wrong, schedule a dealer visit and have a service adviser ride along with you so you can point it out. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. Whenever I purchase a new vehicle, I always get it undercoated. No rust proofing because I don't want any unnecessary holes drilled. Since the fender wells are plastic, as well as the second row storage bins as already mentioned, the undercoating does muffle the sound. I do not hear any noise from the rain, but I did hear the snow hitting the front inner fenders last winter. But, this was no noisier than any car that I have ever owned.

Since you have a CVP, there may be more sound deadening material the higher you go in the model range, but I do not know this as fact. They may be all the same.

Thanks everyone for your welcomes and responses. I will try putting some towels or something in the storage bins to see if that helps, and if not I'll wait for a good rain or dump of snow (likely the latter now considering where I live :-)) and take them for a ride so they can hear it. If they can't / won't do anything, I'll try the undercoating.

Other than this issue, I'm loving my new car!

The sound you hear is the spray of water off of the tires onto the plastic rocker panels that run under the doors between the front and rear wheels. The rocker panels run into the interior under the doors and tend to amplify the sound of the spray as it hits the outside of the panel. The sound is much louder in our Journey than it is in our 300M, and like you, it startled me the first time I heard it but I quickly grew accustomed to it. It's normal.

I aim for the puddles!

Welcome ladybug.[/quote

My wife makes fun of me because I drive in the opposite side of the road sometimes to avoid puddles altogether...this of course is after I've finished detailing our Journey. It might mean running a few drivers into a ditch here and there but hey - I gotta keep her clean!

(Of course I'm only kidding about the ditch part but if I don't insert a silly legal disclaimer here I might get sued...)

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for your welcomes and responses. I will try putting some towels or something in the storage bins to see if that helps, and if not I'll wait for a good rain or dump of snow (likely the latter now considering where I live :-)) and take them for a ride so they can hear it. If they can't / won't do anything, I'll try the undercoating.

Other than this issue, I'm loving my new car!

got some snow on tuesday and this was the first snow drive for my DJ. your right it's freaking loud and sounds like it's coming from the same side as you. passenger side rear.

I don't know - maybe I am just used to it after 5 years of Journeys, but I don't recall being surprised at the noise . . . . then I DO have my vehicles rustproofed because it mitigates corrosion issues that eventually leads to bad grounds and such so maybe the damping effect of the stuff they spray dampens it al down.

The $85 a year for the rustproofing might be money well spent if it quiets the vehicle for you - and the fact that your vehicle will likely benefit from the treatment is a definite plus.

Mine rattle , I think it's the baffle for lack of a better word between the liner and the door , it's not really secure so ove certain roads I can hear a rattle from the fender . I thought of doing the same thing and either spray bed liner or use some other sound dreading material in there .

More than likely what you're hearing is the water and snow striking the backseat storage bins. I hear it in mine whenever it snows since my town doesn't plow residential north/south streets until at least a few inches have come down.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...