oil pressure at 65psi on highway

Good point, I'll try that out. Didn't realize it was accessible. Is that the oil pressure sensor that's by the oil filter? I wonder if it's easy enough for me to replace myself? Anybody have access to a manual/guide for that?

Would hate to have the dealer charge me hundreds (if not covered under warranty) for something I can do myself for $10.

Without digging into it more, they look the same... You should be able to check your current sensor to verify if it is working correctly or not using an amp meter. I am not sure of the exact process though.

Some vehicles have a low and high pressure switch (2 switches), maybe the DJ does?

Edited by Lobitz68

Update: took my journey to the dealer today, and the oil pressure sensor had to be replaced. All is well now.

How long did this take? Good to hear it was fixed.....

I just got the MIL and a P0520 - Oil Pressure Circuit code.... Of course I'm on a road trip, as soon as i get back a visit to the dealer is in order.

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks for posting your resolution, hot rod!

I wanted to post the TSB that bfurth was referring to for any others that might experience this. You can reference the TSB at any FCA dealership:

TSB 18-034-14 REV. A

SUBJECT:

P0520- Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves replacing the oil pressure sensor with a revised part.

MODELS:

2013 - 2014 PF Dart

2013 - 2014 LD Charger

2013 - 2014 LX 300

2013 - 2014 LC Challenger

2013 - 2014 JS 200/Avenger

2013 - 2014 RT Town & Country/Grand Caravan

2013 - 2014 WK Grand Cherokee

2014 KL Cherokee

2013 - 2014 WD Durango

2013 - 2014 DS Ram 1500

2013 - 2014 DJ Ram 2500

2013 - 2014 D2 Ram 3500 Pickup

2013 - 2014 DD Ram 3500 Cab Chassis

**2014 DP Ram 4500/5500 Cab Chassis**

2013 - 2014 JC Journey

2013 - 2014 JK Wrangler

2014 VF ProMaster

2013 - 2014 ZD Viper

NOTE: **This bulletin applies to all vehicle models listed above equipped with a 2.0L

engine (sales code ECK), 2.4L engine (sales code ED6), 3.2L engine (sales

code EHB), 3.6L engine (sales code ERB), 3.0L engine (sales code EHD), 5.7L

engine (sales code EZH or EZC), 6.4L engine (sales code ESG, ESH, ESA or

ESB), or a 8.4L engine (sales code EWG) built on or before March 12, 2014

(MDH 0312XX).**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A small number of customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)

illumination. Upon further investigation the Technician may find that the following

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set:

• P0520 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit

• 4 weeks later...

The pressure transducer on my vehicle was changed yesterday. It was stuck at the top of the gauge and the check engine light was on.

Interesting enough, even though I explained that the gauge was pegged and would never go down, even with the engine off, they initially tried to warn me that it was because I had the wrong oil filter because my oil changes are done at Costco - the advisor said that there would be a $140 diagnostic charge and that I'd have to pay for the 'repair'. It didn't phase me at all; I told them to bag the filter and document the charges because Costco would be getting the bill.

Then he tried to tell me how I'd have been 'much better off' getting my oil changed at the dealer (for twice the price and having to sit through a hard sell for a raft of services I didn't need on top of that, to boot).

They came back a half hour later and said it was all taken care of and that there was no charge . . . . . .

But I wonder, not that it affects me for the next 6.5 years; If all you had was the power train warranty, would this have been covered? After all, the sender is not part of the power train.

• 2 months later...

Well, my P06DA code disappeared for about 3-4 months so I figured it had fixed itself. Now it's back with a vengeance doing the same shenanigans. I guess I'll have to suck it up and go to the dealer finally. I'm at 96k miles, so better get it done now before the powertrain warranty expires!

I HATE GOING TO THE DEALER!!!

Edited by onecrazyfoo4u

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update. The dealer dropped the pan and replaced the oil pump/gaskets/oil to correct the P06DA code. So far so good, no codes! Thank goodness it was covered by powertrain warranty!

They also dropped the transmission pan to change the fluid/filter. Both pans dropped in the same day :).

• 3 months later...

Figured I'd post these since the question was brought up. Seems kinda high to me but there are no warning lights or anything. I'm not sure what the oil pressure range is.

42 psi at idle

0639F19B-3D78-4662-B225-2FC7D007F7E3_zps

83 psi at 2000 Rpms

427EAA8E-76E6-42C2-B007-DDDDFDE6872F_zps

Signed up on the forum to say -- Thanks for posting this. I just changed the oil in my wife's 2015 Journey, and checked the oil pressure after I was done. The filter I got from AdvanceAuto fit the oil filter cap differently than the one that was previously on it, it didn't "snap" into place. After checking online that it was a fit, I went ahead and put the new oil filter in. It was sitting at 80 psi after about 5 minutes of the engine running. I was sure something was bad with the filter...

Has anyone else ever changed the oil and not had the filter "snap" into the oil filter cap? The oil filter I put in it was a Purolator classic L36296:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1OH4AO?keywords=l36296&qid=1454864402&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

I drove it a few miles up the road and the oil pressure went down, but seemed to fluctuate between 40-70 psi depending on acceleration / deceleration. I hadn't checked what the oil pressure levels were prior to changing the oil, so I was somewhat worried.

This eased my mind somewhat, so thank you!

Edited by DarthTater

Mr. Tater;

The filter for the 3.6 was redesigned in late (I believe) 2013 and using the old ones will break something in the newer vehicles. Yours needs a newer design filter.

If a part doesn't fit as you expect you should never force the issue - when the pressure sensor in my vehicle shorted out the dealer started by warning me that Costco (who do my oil changes) had damaged the vehicle by using the wrong filter and that the fix would cost $500, not covered under warranty . . . . . except that I knew that the issue was the sensor, since it was pinned at the top even when the engine wasn't running.

The good news is that while they warned me, they didn't try to con me - in the end they reported the issue as having been what I expected, though perhaps that was because I told them to ensure that I got the removed component back so I could get Costco to reimburse me for the damage their mistake had cost to resolve. Had I been a housewife or non-technical individual I might not have fared as well.

Edited by bramfrank

Mr. Tater;

The filter for the 3.6 was redesigned in late (I believe) 2013 and using the old ones will break something in the newer vehicles. Yours needs a newer design filter.

If a part doesn't fit as you expect you should never force the issue - when the pressure sensor in my vehicle shorted out the dealer started by warning me that Costco (who do my oil changes) had damaged the vehicle by using the wrong filter and that the fix would cost $500, not covered under warranty . . . . . except that I knew that the issue was the sensor, since it was pinned at the top even when the engine wasn't running.

The good news is that while they warned me, they didn't try to con me - in the end they reported the issue as having been what I expected, though perhaps that was because I told them to ensure that I got the removed component back so I could get Costco to reimburse me for the damage their mistake had cost to resolve. Had I been a housewife or non-technical individual I might not have fared as well.

I understand that if a part doesn't fit you shouldn't "make it fit" -- my point is that everywhere I looked on the internet, and the auto parts dealership told me that the filter does fit.

My question was in regard to the "snap", the old filter that was on there snapped into the oil filter cap, the new one that everyone and everything says "fits" does not "snap" into the oil filter cap.

• 4 years later...

Hello! I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet. I am unsure of what the code is as it has not been scanned yet but my check engine light is on and I my oil pressure shows 96 PSI. It does not go past 96PSI or below, it just stays at 96PSI all of the time. My oil, transmission and coolant temperatures are all within normal range. What could this be? I also have a leak from the oil cooler that is going to be replaced in the coming two weeks. We just replaced the heater core, thermostat, radiator, fan resistor, coolant reservoir cap and alternator over the last two months. I think the oil cooler was cracked from overheating before we fixed that issue. Last Sunday we were driving at 55MPH and the entire car lost power and shut down, got the alternator replaced and all is well. So now, our next project is the oil cooler and this oil pressure issue. Could the oil pressure be showing 96PSI and not really be that high due to the sensor being bad? Hopefully this is a cheap fix, our Journey is a 2011 and has 156,600 miles on it... I am so tired of dumping money into it. 

8 hours ago, ALLIEM said:

Hello! I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet. I am unsure of what the code is as it has not been scanned yet but my check engine light is on and I my oil pressure shows 96 PSI. It does not go past 96PSI or below, it just stays at 96PSI all of the time. My oil, transmission and coolant temperatures are all within normal range. What could this be? I also have a leak from the oil cooler that is going to be replaced in the coming two weeks. We just replaced the heater core, thermostat, radiator, fan resistor, coolant reservoir cap and alternator over the last two months. I think the oil cooler was cracked from overheating before we fixed that issue. Last Sunday we were driving at 55MPH and the entire car lost power and shut down, got the alternator replaced and all is well. So now, our next project is the oil cooler and this oil pressure issue. Could the oil pressure be showing 96PSI and not really be that high due to the sensor being bad? Hopefully this is a cheap fix, our Journey is a 2011 and has 156,600 miles on it... I am so tired of dumping money into it. 

yes your oil pressure sensor has shorted out and isn't reading correctly my 2014 did the same thing i had a extended warranty and it was fixed all i paid was ded. of 100.the dealership said the oil pressure just wasn't reading correctly due to it shorting out but that the correct oil pressure was never affected. you can google this repair on you tube.