Cracking leather

Roly

I just got my 2015 Crossroad about 3wks ago, noticed some wear on the front seats that looked like the leather was cracking. Well, took it back to the dealer, the sales person walked me over to service. They took pictures and said they would file a claim with Chrysler, it took about 2wks, but finally got a call back from the service advisor and she told me that Chrysler said it's normal wear and tear, she then responded with a picture of my odometer with only 400 miles on it and a picture of my 2005 Jeep Liberty with 125k miles on the factory leather and not one crack. She called me back today to let me know that they approved 2 replacement seats. If anyone has this issue, I'd suggest taking it back to the dealer.

I noticed two 'folds' in the leather seats of mine when I picked it up in December and the service manager and I looked at his (he drives a demo) which had the same pleats and the ones in the showroom.

If they are replacing the seat covers (they will not be replacing the entire seats, unless I am mistaken), then likely your cosmetic problem will recur.

Can you post photos, of both your vehicles? I'd like to take another run at my dealer, if indeed I can get the seats to be perfect. At least when it recurs I can be the one to have caused the problem.

Mine is showing the beginning of wear marks, but not cracks. I'll let it go for a while and see what happens. I have all sorts of leather cleaned/softener that I use, but I'll wait for some warm air from the South to head North.

My 09 with 60,000 miles had the leather drivers seat start to crack/peal on the side in two spots. Every other seat is perfect. I maintain the leather with leather cleaner and protector. Even the drivers seat is clean and not worn. Took it to the dealer, took pictures, dodge told me tuff crap. Another feather in the cap of Dodge customer service. I was looking for a 50/50 deal or something, they told me to pound salt.

I'll snap some pics tomorrow. They said they'd be replacing the seat covers, which is fine by me. I just like the fact that by Chrysler warrantying the seats proves that there was an issue. I'll also post a copy of the work invoice as it should have a warranty claim number associated with it so everyone else can follow suit.

Aren't the "OEM" covers made by Katzkin??? They are a very good company with quality products (I have installed them on previous vehicles and found them to be very high quality), surprises me that there would be issues. Perhaps it is the seat design? Or maybe an imperfect installation at the factory? Odd...

Assuming I am correct about the OEM leather being Katzkin, here is what they recommend. Note: Some cleaners will void your warranty as it removes the protective layer they apply to the leather during manufacture (I wonder if this is the cause of some of these issues?). I have followed these guidelines in the past and never had any issues.

http://www.katzkin.com/katzkin-leather-care

Katzskins were offered as accessory leather seat covers for people who bought vehicles that came with cloth interiors.

I have no clue who makes the OEM seat covers, but it doesn't much matter. The manual SHOULD tell you how to care for them (don't know because my manual never arrived and I haven't bothered to download the online version.

Here's a pic of the drivers seat cushion, it may not seem all that much to others, but with less then 1k miles. Now I used the katzkin option for my wife's Cherokee and it looks and feels great. The rest of the seats 2nd and 3rd row gets as much use as the rest and don't have a wrinkle. To me it looks like it sat at the dealer in a non shaded area and got nothing but sun. For my Liberty, I use Mothers cleaner and conditioner, and it looks damn good for 10yr old leather with 125k miles on the clock.

imagejpg1_zps39cedf97.jpg

Edited by Roly

Here's a pic of the drivers seat cushion, it may not seem all that much to others, but with less then 1k miles. Now I used the katzkin option for my wife's Cherokee and it looks and feels great. The rest of the seats 2nd and 3rd row gets as much use as the rest and don't have a wrinkle. To me it looks like it sat at the dealer in a non shaded area and got nothing but sun. For my Liberty, I use Mothers cleaner and conditioner, and it looks damn good for 10yr old leather with 125k miles on the clock.

imagejpg1_zps39cedf97.jpg

My seat looks similar to yours. 6 months, 4,000 miles.

not true, another crossroad on the lot didn't have it and the rest of my seats are good. I didn't buy a new car with leather seats to look like this when I picked it up. If Chrysler authorized new leather, then it can't be normal. Just my 2cents.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to just jump in like this, but with having an all-white all-leather interior on my 2013 R/T I just purchased, I was interested in knowing how to care for the leather. This post is a really good read.

I am curious to know what kind of protection i should get for the leather? I really don't want to hve the leather start cracking. One of the things I fell in love with on this vehicle was the interior. I want to make sure it stays looking as good as it does now.

I use the Armour All wipes. But I first spray on McGuiers and wipe it off with the wipes. Then, I don't use the car for 24 hours.

Is it really possible to not use a vehicle I just bought for 24 hours???

I wasn't sure about the leather wipes. I was going to pick some up today, but didn't know if it was worth it.

I don't drive it so the conditioner can soak into leather. Every vehicle that I have owned had leather, and these wear marks always showed up. The only vehicle that actually cracked was a 1999 Grand Cherokee. My Liberty Renegade never cracked, nor did my Jeep Commander, nor my Nitro. Maybe the way I treat my seats was the deciding factor that the leather did not actually crack.

I use Zaino Z-9 leather cleaner for seats that have a lot of soil, and Z-10 Leather-in-a-bottle conditioner for that like-new look, feel, smell. I used that combo on a set of light taupe leather seats I got from a junk yard that were heavily soiled. Now they look and feel great and in the back of my show car, which recently won a best custom interior award.

My driver's seat looks exactly like Rolys. It looked like that when I bought the car at 2,086 miles and hasn't changed at all right up to the currently 14,800 miles. Leather does that, especially the cheap leather/vinyl Dodge uses. If you don't want to see cracks, get Katzkin installed and condition it daily. The seats in the Journey were clearly designed to crack in that spot, what with the plastic seat trim being positioned in such a way that you need to jump in and out to avoid stretching and creasing the cushion over it.

I was actually told by a good friend of mine (huge car enthusiast and a mechanic to boot) to use horse saddle conditioner on it. He said he uses it on his saddle bags and seat for his motorcycle, and they look brand new. Question is, if I don't own a damn horse, where do I buy the stuff? LOL.

I was actually told by a good friend of mine (huge car enthusiast and a mechanic to boot) to use horse saddle conditioner on it. He said he uses it on his saddle bags and seat for his motorcycle, and they look brand new. Question is, if I don't own a damn horse, where do I buy the stuff? LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Saddle-Soap-Tin-12/dp/B00GRSVTK4