Electrical issue with 2014 Journey

I purchased a 2014 Dodge Journey in May 2014. I had the car less than a month when the issue happened for the first time. The vehicle had less than 300 miles on it, and I was driving when suddenly all the electrical parts of the car just shut off, my radio, the screen on the radio, the air conditioner, the screen in between all my gauges that tell me vehicle information, and all of the lights. The gauges all bottomed out, and the engine bogged down.

This happened 3 more times from June to the beginning of August. I took my car to the dealership on Thursday, August 14th and they kept it for 8 days. I was told that they ordered a part for it, but they didn't think the part would fix the problem. The part has not come in yet, they said it would be a few weeks (I was initially told they had the part and I would have my car back the day after I dropped it off. Then, there was no communication from their end for the entire week, I was calling them, but not getting any answers as to what was going on. When they told me they had a part ordered, they led me to believe they had found the problem.) When I called them on Friday, August 22, they told me they had driven the car a little, but hadn't found anything wrong with it. And they told me that I just need to drive the car until the issue becomes frequent enough to create a noticeable pattern, then bring it back to them. I'm not ok with doing this, because there is something wrong electronically with the car, and I have 2 very small children, both under the age of 2, in my car with me the majority of the time.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Have not heard of this before. The symptoms you describe indicate to me that there is a MAJOR electrical problem and probably a loose connection that would be found by checking them all. I would be concerned as the problem also leads to drivability issues that could leave you stranded where you don't want to be.

The lack of results and the "We'll try this part today" process of diagnosis would drive me to another dealership or I would be contacting Dodge.

There is no way I would "drive the car until the issue becomes frequent enough to create a noticeable pattern". That is the most idiotic response I've ever heard from a dealership. This is a serious safety issue and they shouldn't be making you and your family guinea pigs. If they don't know what the problem is they should contact Chrysler directly and ask for assistance. Did they give you another vehicle to drive while they were investigating the problem? I agree with davea180, their "experimenting" would get me seeking another dealership and quick!

Edited by rolly

Yes, they put me in a Dodge Dart - which sucked! They told me they called Dodge's "help desk" the day I dropped it off to them, and none of them had ever heard of this issue before. The advisor at our dealership seems like an idiot to me. He didn't even know what the part they're waiting for is called, or what it is supposed to do. Either that, or he wouldn't tell me because since I'm a female, maybe he didn't think I'd understand. Which is just the opposite. I was raised changing motors my entire life.

I just emailed Dodge a little while ago, and got a response back. They told me they'd call me as soon as someone is available to pull up the VIN info.

Yes, they put me in a Dodge Dart - which sucked! They told me they called Dodge's "help desk" the day I dropped it off to them, and none of them had ever heard of this issue before. The advisor at our dealership seems like an idiot to me. He didn't even know what the part they're waiting for is called, or what it is supposed to do. Either that, or he wouldn't tell me because since I'm a female, maybe he didn't think I'd understand. Which is just the opposite. I was raised changing motors my entire life.

I just emailed Dodge a little while ago, and got a response back. They told me they'd call me as soon as someone is available to pull up the VIN info.

Have to agree with the others... Do you have another dealer in your area that you can try?

Have to agree with the others... Do you have another dealer in your area that you can try?

I'm sure there is, but I'm not sure where it's at.

Also, my daytime running lamps have never worked? I have the setting turned on, but they don't work. Could that be related to the issue?

No DRLs don't work on 2014 - 2015 in the US unless you bought with that option from factory.

FYI DRLs are only on when gear select is in Drive (123456) they don't work in Park or Neutral.

The intermittent electrical could be a poor connection at the TIPM (fuse box) under the hood,

just not properly connected when built.

Edited by bigtsr

No DRLs don't work on 2014 - 2015 in the US unless you bought with that option from factory.

FYI DRLs are only on when gear select is in Drive (123456) they don't work in Park or Neutral.

The intermittent electrical could be a poor connection at the TIPM (fuse box) under the hood,

just not properly connected when built.

That's dumb. Why is it even an option then. I'm beginning to not like Dodge. My husband is a complete Toyota person, so it took a lot of convincing to get a Dodge, and all these issues are not helping my cause any.

I just read in yesterday's Chicago newspaper about a recall on a part ( a computer module) that starts with 2007 and goes to 2014's, multiple models, including the DJ. I will look for the paper and see if I can give more info. Supposed to be a recall....

I just read in yesterday's Chicago newspaper about a recall on a part ( a computer module) that starts with 2007 and goes to 2014's, multiple models, including the DJ. I will look for the paper and see if I can give more info. Supposed to be a recall....

There's no recalls as of yet if I put my VIN on Dodge's site.

That's dumb. Why is it even an option then. I'm beginning to not like Dodge. My husband is a complete Toyota person, so it took a lot of convincing to get a Dodge, and all these issues are not helping my cause any.

Because it is mandatory in other countries... I'm glad I don't have them.

Toyota is trustworthy company that makes a great car that is well worth the premium you have to pay to own one... Okay, well they make a car that has all kinds of issues and them sweeps them under the rugs for years until people die. Then they have massive recall after massive recall to fix issues they knew about the entire time. But other than that...way more trustworthy than other manufacturers. Ha!

I can't find anything to support this... any luck?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this issue as well. Bought my DJ July 5th. I've noticed it 3 or 4 times, the touchscreen and cluster panel go dark for a split second and come back on. Never noticed it have any affect on the engine though.

Now you have me wondering if I should take mine in to be looked at. Currently at 3,200 miles so the 1st oil change is coming up, maybe I'll mention it then.

Hello, I purchased a Dodge journey July 2014. I'm have the same problem. My car is still in the shop to this day. They don't know what to do with the car. I didn't get a chance to enjoy or make the first payment when i notice the problem with the car. I have been looking to find other consumers that purchased the car and have this issue. I need to know did they fix the problem yet.

• Official Dodge Support

Hello, I purchased a Dodge journey July 2014. I'm have the same problem. My car is still in the shop to this day. They don't know what to do with the car. I didn't get a chance to enjoy or make the first payment when i notice the problem with the car. I have been looking to find other consumers that purchased the car and have this issue. I need to know did they fix the problem yet.

Sent a PM message for your vin number.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for bringing back an old post but my '14 Crossroad has done this since new. I've had this at the dealership but it is still occurring under occasional braking. Sometimes the radio turns completely off, sometimes not. However, you can hear the A/C fan stop briefly before resuming normal operation. Again, only under braking.

14k miles now.

Sounds as if there is an electrical short/poor connection in the system.

I would quite honestly use the lemon law in your state as this could result

in a dangerous situation , see if it qualifies under Floridas legislation.

Hello good morning everyone, update my car has turned off on me now, I was told I had to drive until the check engine light come on. This light still not coming on. Even when the car shut off.The car is still driving. I don't want this car anymore. Dodge needs to do something now. Call customer support and they should be contacting me today. Will give updates.

Edited by MADWOMENWITHADJ

Hello good morning everyone, update my car has turned off on me now, I was told I had to drive until the check engine light come on. This light still not coming on. Even when the car shut off.The car is still driving. I don't want this car anymore. Dodge needs to do something now. Call customer support and they should be contacting me today. Will give updates.

Are you a mad woman with a DJ, or mad women with a DJ? I'm confused... Split personality maybe? :hysterical:

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

I have a 2014 Journey sxt 3.6 front wheel drive. Every 6-7 weeks, it decides to have electrical problems and won't start. All 3 times have happened while I was parked in Phoenix Shy Harbor parking garage. The car has <9,000 miles and my dealership can't find anything wrong. All they've done when I take it in is "run software updates". They say they've tested the battery and it's not the culprit. Any ideas?

Won't start as in dead battery

I have a 2014 Journey sxt 3.6 front wheel drive. Every 6-7 weeks, it decides to have electrical problems and won't start. All 3 times have happened while I was parked in Phoenix Shy Harbor parking garage. The car has <9,000 miles and my dealership can't find anything wrong. All they've done when I take it in is "run software updates". They say they've tested the battery and it's not the culprit. Any ideas?

Won't start as in dead battery or turns over and won't start? So you apparently do get it started because you took it in all three times.....