2014 April Consumer Reports - Car Issue

Journey41

We have been shopping for a new ride and we had the Journey on the short list. Other choices were the; Kia Sorento & Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Went down to the local library today to do some research on the reliablility and rating of the three vehicles. To my dimay the Consumer Report has the Dodge Journey list in the "Vehicles to Avoid" listings? It is there along with the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, Subaru Tribeca and Nissan Amada.

I was really surprised as there a lot of Journeys on the road. Howver I am not sure if I want to buy a vehicle that I was warned about in advance. I have talked to many owners and some of them have indicated that previous to 2012 the Journey was not a good investment. I alsoHe liked the vehicle other than he felt the fuel economy could be better for a 6 cyl.

Not sure what to do but will continue to review before I make up my mind. Road testing the Santa Fe and Sorrento will be next.

got 2014 dodge journey ltd bought it in oct 2013 got 7700 klms on now ,drow to florida for winter months haven't had any problems as of yet now getting ready to drive back home at end of month . it's a 6 i feel i get fairly good mileage approx 500-600 klms per tank on highway, and a very comfortable to drive. that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. but the 2013 -2014's have the bigger brakes on them which the earil one didn't and was costing a lot brake jobs .

As long as you stick to a 2012 or above, you'll be fine. Most of the kinks have been worked out with the brakes, and the bad cooling passeges on the cylinder heads. I believe those were really the only two big issues.

I too looked at consumer reports and laughed at how it was rated. It's all subjective matter; every magazine or website will rate it differently. I personally, don't base my buying decision on what a magazine says. I test drive it and join a forum to get the inside scoop on what to look for and common problems. That's where you'll get the real information.

When it comes to everything you can get for the price; it is very hard to beat the value of the Journey. My price cutoff was $25k for a hopefully new vehicle. I was looking at used Toyota's, Honda's, Hyundai's, etc for 5-7 seat suv's and crossovers. I could either get a used vehicle with 50k+ miles with less options and worse gas mileage. Or get a fully loaded brand new Journey Crew with tons of extra options and a great warranty. The choice was pretty obvious for me. You can't get a new vehicle with this many options for under $25k, except for the DJ. That's what my research showed at least...

Consumer Reports said to avoid the Journey because of the 6 sp transmissions reluctance to downshift?

Also said to avoid the Cherokee with the 4cyl engine as it was under powered for the vehicle but the 6 was fine

onecrazyfoo4u, is absolutely right about getting the information from the forum instead of Consumer Reports. I joined this forum in May of 2012 and we ordered our 2013 Journey in September 2012. The information and advice I got from the members convinced me that the Journey was a good buy. I have over 36,000 kilometres of trouble free driving on it now. It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Have there been dissatisfied Journey owners? You bet. But there are a lot more that love their Journeys. In Windsor where I live, there are so many they seem to travel in herds LOL! As you admit yourself there's a lot on the roads and I think that's a better testament to the Journey's value and reliability than someone who spent a few hours behind the wheel.

Edited by rolly

got 2014 dodge journey ltd bought it in oct 2013 got 7700 klms on now ,drow to florida for winter months haven't had any problems as of yet now getting ready to drive back home at end of month . it's a 6 i feel i get fairly good mileage approx 500-600 klms per tank on highway, and a very comfortable to drive. that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. but the 2013 -2014's have the bigger brakes on them which the earil one didn't and was costing a lot brake jobs .

Thanks for the respnse. However I took a step back at the 500 kms/tank. That works out to 310 miles. With a 17 gal tank that is only 18 mpg on the hwy? That in my opinion is not good! This is one of the major complaints I have heard about the Journey V6. Great engine but poor fule economy?

Edited by Journey41

There's a lot that goes into mileage calculations. Driving conditions, driving style, seasonal fuel changes etc. I didn't notice any significant change in mileage until 8,000 Kilometres and it steadily improved after that. My combined city/highway average has been 10.5 L/100km which equates to 22.4 mpg (U.S) or 26.9 (Imperial). That total is for 36,000 plus kilometres. It's not a fuel miser or a glutton. Given the size of the Journey and the performance of the 3.6, I'm quite satisfied. My wife and I went on an extended (13,654 KM's or 8484 miles) road trip in 2013 and I wrote a report on the forum in which I shared our experience. You can search for it in "Owner Impressions" page 2. The winter fuel makes a huge difference, as does a heavy foot which the 3.6 tempts me to have on occasion. As long as I act my age it's not so bad LOL. Whatever you decide I wish you the best. The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Thanks for the respnse. However I took a step back at the 500 kms/tank. That works out to 310 miles. With a 17 gal tank that is only 18 mpg on the hwy? That in my opinion is not good! This is one of the major complaints I have heard about the Journey V6. Great engine but poor fule economy?

I regularly get 24-25mpg with 70-80% highway driving. On road trips of 100% highway I get around 28mpg. The city driving is what kills mileage. But that's similar for every vehicle.

The only real issue with the 2nd gen Journey was with the brakes - and even then I have had no problem with mine. I have ~43,000 km (about 26,000 miles) on my original brakes with the smaller disks and pads, and the rear pads are pretty worn and will be changed next week when I put the summer wheels back on. The fronts are still fine.

I have the 4 cylinder engine - fuel economy is not much different than with the 6 (it takes the same amount of energy to move a vehicle equipped with either engine at any given speed), so the only real price to pay is that a 4 will not accelerate as quickly when floored.

There were a couple of vehicles with 6 cylinder engines that had head issues, but it wasn't a design defect.

CR's assessment criteria suck.

We've owned a 2000 Chrysler 300M for nearly fourteen years and have put 289,000 miles on it. My wife and I both agree it is the best car we've ever owned, hands down. That being said, our 2013 Journey Crew has some very big shoes to fill. We've now owned it for nine months and have 14,500 miles on it and we are very happy with it. The car has been completely free of defects and runs exactly as it did the day we took delivery - no strange noises, vibrations or anything except smooth and quiet. It is luxurious and practical all at once and offers a level of performance that is usually not found in a family oriented utility vehicle. Our average fuel economy (3.6, FWD) had been averaging around 22-24 MPG until about mid-December when it really began to get cold; we're averaging around 18-19 now. Remote start is very often used! Considering its 7 passsenger capability and 4000 lb weight, I think that's perfectly acceptable. This weekend we're taking a road trip and I'll report our fuel economy when we return.

And, as a purely subjective note, I think the thing is pretty damn good looking, too! The people over at CR simply have no taste! :)

I agree with the "CR sucks" assessment. I dont let any magazine tell me something is good or bad, like stated, join a forum and educate yourself. We bought our 09 even though we had never heard of the Journey. It had the typical brake problems (solved by putting good aftermarket stuff on), door wiring recall, and a few other things, but never left us stranded. As stated above, when we were in the market for a new one, NOTHING would come close to the features the DJ had for the price range we wanted to buy in. I just knew that after 4 years, Chrysler HAD to have addressed some of the drawbacks from the original, specifically the brakes. We have been extremenly pleased with the 2013. Yes, the transmission wants to get into OD as quick as possible, and you have to really press the gas to get it to upshift, but thats more due to the delay in the drive by wire. I just shift it manually around town.On the highway it does great. There is really not much difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder mileage wise in my experience with both. It just takes a bit longer to get up to speed wiuth the 4. We get 18-19 around town with the 6, 25-26 on trips. This is a big, 7 passenger utility vehicle. Dont expect Rav4 or Escape mileage. If you are looking for 30+ mpg over amenities and asthetics for the price, dont get the DJ. Personally, the mileage we get is just fine with us.

Hey guys really appreciate the feed back. I am sure you have all gone through the new vehicle search and it does become mind boggling to say the least. We like the size and driving position in the CUV's and will not ever go back to a car. We have driven everything in the CUV segment fro every mfg except the Journey to date. We are looking to buy in the next month and are now doing our research.

We are currently driving a 2010 Hyundai SF- V6-AWD. I live in Northern Ontario and we have gone through a very cold weather with temps in the -30 deg range more often than previous history has recorded. I am averaging 11.5 L/100 KM combined. (24.5 imp gl or 20.45 US gl) This is 1.5 litres higher than in the Summer. In the summer time on the hwy I get 9.4 L/100 KM @ 65 mph ( 30 mpg/imp gl or 25.02 US gl) and my combined is 10.0 L/100KM which is excellent for a 6 cyl CUV. I have checked "Fuelly" and find that the average mpg between the Sorrento, Santa Fe and Journey are all in the same ball park. However when it come to mpg there are a number of factors that weigh into the end result. I have a friend who has a 2010 V6 SF here and he does not get better than 18 mpg??

I really do not want to buy a new vehicle and find my fuel economy has dropped. With the price of fuel these days I would be happy with the same economy but would not want to get worse than current. The Journey offers a lot of amenities for the buck however I am surprised that there is no passenger power seat and no power lift gate? One thing I know for sure is that they say the Journey is "Canada's #1 Selling CUV" and I believe it. There are a ton of them here locally and the owners I talked to with MY2012+ are very happy with the vehicle. I make a habit of talking to the owners of vehicles I am interested in to get their views and the only negative comment I have heard to date was that they had a seven passenger and the golf clubs would not fit in the back without putting down the rear seats. We do not want the seven seat model only five so this may make a difference.

We will be heading down to the local dealer this week to test drive the Journey and with the special offers they have here in Canada ($4,500) discount we will see just what the Journey has to offer. we have to love the vehicle before we buy it. It is in the top three of our short list along with the Sorento and the Santa Fe so we will be able to compare having already driven the other two.

Once again "Thanks" for all you input it is much appreciated. I belong to a number of forums and I find this one very active and very informative. Will let you know what we think of the Journey once the test drive is complete.

It's important to not compare the 2010 3.5L V6 to the 2011-2014 3.6L V6. The newer 3.6L is a completely different, all aluminum cast, dual overhead cam, and variable valve timing. It has more horsepower, weighs less, and is better on gas.

Also, if you aren't %100 convinced on the Journey because of the fuel eco, the new Jeep Cherokee has a 3.2L version of the same engine and the 4x4 model is rated for 7.4L/100Km. The Cherokee is smaller by just a little bit, but if you ask me, has a number of better design decisions (the battery being accessible under the hood is an example). Rumour has it the next Journey will be built on the same platform.

Edited by zmttoxics

It's important to not compare the 2010 3.5L V6 to the 2011-2014 3.6L V6. The newer 3.6L is a completely different, all aluminum cast, dual overhead cam, and variable valve timing. It has more horsepower, weighs less, and is better on gas.

Also, if you aren't %100 convinced on the Journey because of the fuel eco, the new Jeep Cherokee has a 3.2L version of the same engine and the 4x4 model is rated for 7.4L/100Km. The Cherokee is smaller by just a little bit, but if you ask me, has a number of better design decisions (the battery being accessible under the hood is an example). Rumour has it the next Journey will be built on the same platform.

Already test drove the new 2014 Cherokee. Was not impressed and it is "Fuglly"! Yikes could not conjure up any admiration for this new design no matter what we did. The headlights being that low in the body I do not feel will do well in the areas that get a lot of snow. They will be full of snow and slush all the time. The rear end of this vehicle is brutal. Also if you check out the 2014 Cherokee Forum you will find that there are a lot of problems with this vehicle. The new 9 speed trany is blowing up like popcorn, the 4cyl is not recommended and the V6 is not even close to the estimated fuel economy. Also the new owners are have problems with heat in the front and rear seats. Cold feet seems to be the order of the day for this new design. Indications are that it is due to poor design. The cargo area in this new Cherokee is ridiculous!!! Without a doubt the smallest in this segment.

I have always stuck by the rule that I would never buy any vehicle in it's inception year. I have better things to do than sit in the service dept every week having my test vehicle worked on. Give it three years and they will have the bugs worked out. I sure hope the new Journey goes on this platform as it will become another pregnant marshmellow like the Trax, Encore etc.

Already test drove the new 2014 Cherokee. Was not impressed and it is "Fuglly"! Yikes could not conjure up any admiration for this new design no matter what we did. The headlights being that low in the body I do not feel will do well in the areas that get a lot of snow. They will be full of snow and slush all the time. The rear end of this vehicle is brutal. Also if you check out the 2014 Cherokee Forum you will find that there are a lot of problems with this vehicle. The new 9 speed trany is blowing up like popcorn, the 4cyl is not recommended and the V6 is not even close to the estimated fuel economy. Also the new owners are have problems with heat in the front and rear seats. Cold feet seems to be the order of the day for this new design. Indications are that it is due to poor design. The cargo area in this new Cherokee is ridiculous!!! Without a doubt the smallest in this segment.

I have always stuck by the rule that I would never buy any vehicle in it's inception year. I have better things to do than sit in the service dept every week having my test vehicle worked on. Give it three years and they will have the bugs worked out. I sure hope the new Journey goes on this platform as it will become another pregnant marshmellow like the Trax, Encore etc.

I suspect you may be happier buying something non Chrylser then.

Not to defend the Cherokee for no reason, but here is some defence in comparison to the Journey for you...

Nose to nose, the Journey and Cherokee are almost identical. There is only like 6" in difference in length (don't quote me, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but its close, I took pictures of them nose to nose). The cargo space difference is a big difference in cubic space because of this, but its actually not, its only a few inches in length in difference from the Journey. The 5 seater Journey actually has worse HVAC than the 5 seater Cherokee. There is almost no heating in the rear because you don't get the extra vents unless you get the 7 seat version (I know, I have owned both) and if you have the 7 seater, there is no cargo space with that last row open. Your engine choices for the Cherokee are almost identical to the Journey and oddly enough the 2 weigh about the same. This means your assumption of the 4cyl isn't worth it, and fuel eco isn't as advertised on the v6 still applies to the Journey. At least the 3.2 in the Cherokee isn't sucking down as much while sitting at a stop light. Keep in mind, while this is the first of this gen Cherokee, this platform is *old*. The Cherokee is built on the Dart which is built on a Alfa Romeo platform. Also, the transmission issues are only in the initial run, units built after December don't have those issues.

I am not here to push the Cherokee, but it is not *that* different from the Journey. If you are worried about fuel eco with the Pentastar 3.6L with a 4,000LB CUV, its the same deal bro. The forums aren't new, if you want to see what issues people have run into, its there. But the truth is, in a small setting like this, you mostly see the problems. There are a million Journey owners out there that aren't registered here that have 0 issues with their car. Forums are a breeding ground of negativity as everyone who has issues is posting to look for help for their issues.

Anyways, it sounds like you came here with some preconceived notions. You know where to look the numbers and information, I recommend you start over on your purchase decision making. If you are such an excellent consumer, I am not sure why you would start a post about a bad review from Consumer Reports and how you are going to let that sway your decisions. If you want to buy that Korean made whatever, then buy that. Don't waste your time spewing crap here.

I agree with most of his comments about apples and oranges - his last

paragraph is his allowable rant just as Journey41 had his in his post.

Have driven both and there distinct differences and as a non off-roader

urban driver I really like the Cherokee where as guys on the Jeep forum

tend to be hardcore users with different standards.

Again there are usually only 3 type of people on car forums happy

dedicated , pissed off unhappy and people stuck with questions

looking for help.

Usually not good to get in a pissing match.

All new designs come with growing pains, the Cherokee will be no different. To say the transmissions were blowing up like popcorn is a bit of exaggeration. The design was definitely a change that cars need nowadays. Manufactures seem to play it safe and stay with the trends, creating cars that look the same all across the board. Kudos to Jeep for thinking outside the box and pushing the envelope to expand the way cars look today. I also remember in the late 90's when the Dodge Ram was redesigned. Most people I talked to didn't like it, myself included, but it didn't take long before all trucks were made to look like this. Now, 15 years later, the grill and front ends still favor that trend.

Its no secret that CR has never been partial to Chrysler. If I listened to CR, then I would be driving a Toyota, Kia, or Honda. Me personally, I would never be happy driving a gas sipping, economy vehicle. I will gladly spend an extra dollar or two a day to enjoy 285hp and something that can haul my family of 5 and my dog. If gas mileage is a big concern then I wouldn't buy a Journey, but if you want performance and value, I would highly recommend the Journey.

Not to defend the Cherokee for no reason, but here is some defence in comparison to the Journey for you...

Nose to nose, the Journey and Cherokee are almost identical. There is only like 6" in difference in length (don't quote me, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but its close, I took pictures of them nose to nose). The cargo space difference is a big difference in cubic space because of this, but its actually not, its only a few inches in length in difference from the Journey. The 5 seater Journey actually has worse HVAC than the 5 seater Cherokee. There is almost no heating in the rear because you don't get the extra vents unless you get the 7 seat version (I know, I have owned both) and if you have the 7 seater, there is no cargo space with that last row open. Your engine choices for the Cherokee are almost identical to the Journey and oddly enough the 2 weigh about the same. This means your assumption of the 4cyl isn't worth it, and fuel eco isn't as advertised on the v6 still applies to the Journey. At least the 3.2 in the Cherokee isn't sucking down as much while sitting at a stop light. Keep in mind, while this is the first of this gen Cherokee, this platform is *old*. The Cherokee is built on the Dart which is built on a Alfa Romeo platform. Also, the transmission issues are only in the initial run, units built after December don't have those issues.

I am not here to push the Cherokee, but it is not *that* different from the Journey. If you are worried about fuel eco with the Pentastar 3.6L with a 4,000LB CUV, its the same deal bro. The forums aren't new, if you want to see what issues people have run into, its there. But the truth is, in a small setting like this, you mostly see the problems. There are a million Journey owners out there that aren't registered here that have 0 issues with their car. Forums are a breeding ground of negativity as everyone who has issues is posting to look for help for their issues.

Anyways, it sounds like you came here with some preconceived notions. You know where to look the numbers and information, I recommend you start over on your purchase decision making. If you are such an excellent consumer, I am not sure why you would start a post about a bad review from Consumer Reports and how you are going to let that sway your decisions. If you want to buy that Korean made whatever, then buy that. Don't waste your time spewing crap here.

I dont see any the op "spweing crap" anywhere. I bit harsh don't you think?

Edited by jkeaton

Wow it never fails! Every forum has their posters that have no respect for others and it is like they know it all.

"Spewing Crap".......Really?

I did not come here as a troll or with any " preconceived notions". I came her to gather information from owners in order to make a decision on a new vehicle. I take the time to do my research and have found over the past 65 years it has proven to be very rewarding when it came time to make the final decision. I knew posting the reference from the CR would bring out the detail from owners who spend more than 2 hrs behind the wheel or derive reports from those that send in the reports that they mail out. Nine times out 10 those returning the reports have had an issue with their vehicle and use the survey to vent.

In regards to the Journey being the same as the Cherokee...Really!!

First of all the Journey is 192.4" in length and the Cherokee is 182".

In regards to width the Cherokee is 73.2" and the DJ is 83.7".

Cargo area in the Cherokee behind second seat is 29.7 cu ft and in the DJ (5 seat) behind second seat is 35 cu ft.

The weight of the Cherokee LTD AWD is 3981 lbs and the Journey RT AWD is 4238.

Both the Toyota Rav 4 and the Honda CRV have more cargo area than the Cherokee.

Now as far as the 3.2 burning more fuel than the 3.6 at idle...give me a break.

If you check "Fuelly" you will see that the 2014 Cherokee V6 is averaging the same mpg as the DJ at 21.5 mpg.

The only real purpose of losing the extra space and comfort of the DJ would be if you intend to do a lot of off road activities. However if this is your goal then according to the experts you will have to opt for the "Trailhawk" version and that weighs in at 4232 lbs.

As far as overall aesthetics go it is my opinion and I see by the following I am not alone.Comparing it to the Pontiac Aztec. OUCH!!!!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...est-cars.html?

Maybe you should educate yourself and go out and try some of the vehicles from the other mfg's. It is obvious from your post that you have not driven the new Cherokee nor have you parked them side by side to review. So in the future "zmttoxics" before you feel like you have to bash a poster you may want to get your facts at least somewhat correct and not take wild guesses by using camera photos.

Thanks again to all those that posted good information and facts about the DJ...much appreciated.

All new designs come with growing pains, the Cherokee will be no different. To say the transmissions were blowing up like popcorn is a bit of exaggeration. The design was definitely a change that cars need nowadays. Manufactures seem to play it safe and stay with the trends, creating cars that look the same all across the board. Kudos to Jeep for thinking outside the box and pushing the envelope to expand the way cars look today. I also remember in the late 90's when the Dodge Ram was redesigned. Most people I talked to didn't like it, myself included, but it didn't take long before all trucks were made to look like this. Now, 15 years later, the grill and front ends still favor that trend.

Its no secret that CR has never been partial to Chrysler. If I listened to CR, then I would be driving a Toyota, Kia, or Honda. Me personally, I would never be happy driving a gas sipping, economy vehicle. I will gladly spend an extra dollar or two a day to enjoy 285hp and something that can haul my family of 5 and my dog. If gas mileage is a big concern then I wouldn't buy a Journey, but if you want performance and value, I would highly recommend the Journey.

Nice post "Addicted to Dodge"...appreciate your comments and I agree. First year re-designs can be a nightmare.