2014 April Consumer Reports - Car Issue

Journey41

i have a 2011 mainstreet 3.6 and my gas mileage can be as low as 18mpg in my small town with some country driving but on the avg i get around 20 to 21 mpg. now on trips to the beach in gulf shores al. i will avg 22-25 on the interstate driving at 75- 80 mph. gas mileage always dependends on your speed, stops, and elavation of the road. going out to vegas i got 22-25 going out against the wind and going up with elavations of new mexico but coming back i was getting 30-31mpg elavation going down so that makes a huge difference. overall i love my 2011 and i am happy with the mpg for such a big suv. only problems i had with mine were the front brake rotors and the dealer changed them and put on new pads at 28k and i have 64k on it now with no more problems with the front rotors.i am putting rear pads on the next week so 64k on them and about 36k on the front pads and they look great. hope you decided on what to buy and will be happy with it.. p.s. most drivers use the mpg reading that the car tells you as you are driving down the road but that is NOT a true reading of what you get most of the time. i always check my gallons of gas used aginst the miles i have drove and that is the most relible way to get your true mpg.

I dont see any the op "spweing crap" anywhere. I bit harsh don't you think?

Not really. Perhaps a little stern though. This long winter is leaving my skin a little rough...

Wow it never fails! Every forum has their posters that have no respect for others and it is like they know it all.

"Spewing Crap".......Really?

I did not come here as a troll or with any " preconceived notions". I came her to gather information from owners in order to make a decision on a new vehicle. I take the time to do my research and have found over the past 65 years it has proven to be very rewarding when it came time to make the final decision. I knew posting the reference from the CR would bring out the detail from owners who spend more than 2 hrs behind the wheel or derive reports from those that send in the reports that they mail out. Nine times out 10 those returning the reports have had an issue with their vehicle and use the survey to vent.

In regards to the Journey being the same as the Cherokee...Really!!

First of all the Journey is 192.4" in length and the Cherokee is 182".

In regards to width the Cherokee is 73.2" and the DJ is 83.7".

Cargo area in the Cherokee behind second seat is 29.7 cu ft and in the DJ (5 seat) behind second seat is 35 cu ft.

The weight of the Cherokee LTD AWD is 3981 lbs and the Journey RT AWD is 4238.

Both the Toyota Rav 4 and the Honda CRV have more cargo area than the Cherokee.

Now as far as the 3.2 burning more fuel than the 3.6 at idle...give me a break.

If you check "Fuelly" you will see that the 2014 Cherokee V6 is averaging the same mpg as the DJ at 21.5 mpg.

The only real purpose of losing the extra space and comfort of the DJ would be if you intend to do a lot of off road activities. However if this is your goal then according to the experts you will have to opt for the "Trailhawk" version and that weighs in at 4232 lbs.

As far as overall aesthetics go it is my opinion and I see by the following I am not alone.Comparing it to the Pontiac Aztec. OUCH!!!!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...est-cars.html?

Maybe you should educate yourself and go out and try some of the vehicles from the other mfg's. It is obvious from your post that you have not driven the new Cherokee nor have you parked them side by side to review. So in the future "zmttoxics" before you feel like you have to bash a poster you may want to get your facts at least somewhat correct and not take wild guesses by using camera photos.

Thanks again to all those that posted good information and facts about the DJ...much appreciated.

Listen, I actually didn't post in either case to spark trouble. However, I don't understand what you have proved here. Ok, its 10 total inches, I guessed 6. I told *you* the fuel comparisons would be similar. I have not only driven these, I have owned 2 Journeys, parked the new 2014 Journey next to a 2014 Cherokee, and I even ordered a Cherokee so I don't know what you trying to tell me here. What I am trying to tell you, is your complaints about the Cherokee relate almost 1:1 with the Journey (aside from the transmission, however the 6 speed in the journey isn't perfect either). I am also telling you the Cherokee, while slightly smaller, has better design decisions. Such as an accessible battery and a full size spare not on a winch rope but rather inside (ever had one of those ropes let go and lose your spare?). If you think the Pentastar is a piece of crap in the Cherokee on gas, the bigger 3.6 in the Journey isn't going to make you happy. I have no interest in continuing this, you can take the information in anyway you want.

Here are some photos for peeps who are interested.

2014 cherokee and journey 3

2014 cherokee and journey 2

2014 cherokee and journey

Not really. Perhaps a little stern though. This long winter is leaving my skin a little rough...

Listen, I actually didn't post in either case to spark trouble. However, I don't understand what you have proved here. Ok, its 10 total inches, I guessed 6. I told *you* the fuel comparisons would be similar. I have not only driven these, I have owned 2 Journeys, parked the new 2014 Journey next to a 2014 Cherokee, and I even ordered a Cherokee so I don't know what you trying to tell me here. What I am trying to tell you, is your complaints about the Cherokee relate almost 1:1 with the Journey (aside from the transmission, however the 6 speed in the journey isn't perfect either). I am also telling you the Cherokee, while slightly smaller, has better design decisions. Such as an accessible battery and a full size spare not on a winch rope but rather inside (ever had one of those ropes let go and lose your spare?). If you think the Pentastar is a piece of crap in the Cherokee on gas, the bigger 3.6 in the Journey isn't going to make you happy. I have no interest in continuing this, you can take the information in anyway you want.

Here are some photos for peeps who are interested.

I am sorry...but that Jeep limited looks FUGLY both in front and at the rear.....oh my goodness, no sex appeal whatsoever

They will be full of snow and slush all the time. The rear end of this vehicle is brutal. Also if you check out the 2014 Cherokee Forum you will find that there are a lot of problems with this vehicle. The new 9 speed trany is blowing up like popcorn, the 4cyl is not recommended and the V6 is not even close to the estimated fuel economy. Also the new owners are have problems with heat in the front and rear seats. Cold feet seems to be the order of the day for this new design.

I work for a dealer. We've put, on average, 2-3 new Cherokees on the road per week since the car came out.

1) We've had over 60" of snow this winter and no complaints about the lights in any way.

2) Not one single complaint about the transmission. Jeep delayed the release of the Cherokee because of a software issue that affected the engagement of a dog clutch in the transmission. They flashed all the transmission controllers before they left the storage yards and that solved the problem. None of my customers have returned for any shifting issues whatsoever.

3) I have had no complaints of fuel economy specifically for the Cherokee. That being said, consider that the vehicle was released just before the onset of winter. Let's let the engines break in a little and let the temps come up and switch over from winter blend fuels. Everyone is complaining about a drop in fuel economy because of those reasons, on everything we sell.

4) No HVAC concerns have come across my desk, either. As a matter of fact, the only Cherokee that I've seen a problem with was a front end noise when the ambient temperature dropped well below freezing - like in the teens and colder. The problem was traced to an upper strut mount bearing. We replaced both sides and that corrected the issue. Other than that, my customers love them - and so do we. They are selling very well at my store.

I posted this information just to show the other side of a story. Yes, I am a bit biased because I work for a C/J/D/R SRT store, and maybe I sound a bit defensive. If I saw evidence of the issues posted on those forums, I would either concur or offer some insight as to why they are occuring. But so far, the Cherokee has been a good car right out of the box - at least for us at my store. I hope it continues.

The styling is definitely polarizing. I like the front end but not the rear. Kudos to Jeep for giving us something different. Let the people be free to love it or hate it.

Just returned from a 600 mile weekend road trip with our Journey. 27.7 MPG going, 28.1 on the return trip. 3.6, FWD, four passengers and our stuff, 68 MPH with cruise on. Relatively flat terrain. Very impressive for a 4000 lb 283 HP CUV. No complaints from me about those fuel economy numbers. About 2 MPG better than my 300M with a smaller, less powerful V6 and better aerodynamics.

Edited by Journeyman425

Again there are usually only 3 type of people on car forums happy

dedicated , pissed off unhappy and people stuck with questions

looking for help.

Make it 4, the 4th being a mix of the first two, like me: happy about the engine, spaciousness, sturdiness, driving position, comfort, etc., but totally pissed off with the software. Absolutely hate it, all of it ;) .

I work for a dealer. We've put, on average, 2-3 new Cherokees on the road per week since the car came out.

1) We've had over 60" of snow this winter and no complaints about the lights in any way.

2) Not one single complaint about the transmission. Jeep delayed the release of the Cherokee because of a software issue that affected the engagement of a dog clutch in the transmission. They flashed all the transmission controllers before they left the storage yards and that solved the problem. None of my customers have returned for any shifting issues whatsoever.

3) I have had no complaints of fuel economy specifically for the Cherokee. That being said, consider that the vehicle was released just before the onset of winter. Let's let the engines break in a little and let the temps come up and switch over from winter blend fuels. Everyone is complaining about a drop in fuel economy because of those reasons, on everything we sell.

4) No HVAC concerns have come across my desk, either. As a matter of fact, the only Cherokee that I've seen a problem with was a front end noise when the ambient temperature dropped well below freezing - like in the teens and colder. The problem was traced to an upper strut mount bearing. We replaced both sides and that corrected the issue. Other than that, my customers love them - and so do we. They are selling very well at my store.

I posted this information just to show the other side of a story. Yes, I am a bit biased because I work for a C/J/D/R SRT store, and maybe I sound a bit defensive. If I saw evidence of the issues posted on those forums, I would either concur or offer some insight as to why they are occuring. But so far, the Cherokee has been a good car right out of the box - at least for us at my store. I hope it continues.

The styling is definitely polarizing. I like the front end but not the rear. Kudos to Jeep for giving us something different. Let the people be free to love it or hate it.

Just returned from a 600 mile weekend road trip with our Journey. 27.7 MPG going, 28.1 on the return trip. 3.6, FWD, four passengers and our stuff, 68 MPH with cruise on. Relatively flat terrain. Very impressive for a 4000 lb 283 HP CUV. No complaints from me about those fuel economy numbers. About 2 MPG better than my 300M with a smaller, less powerful V6 and better aerodynamics.

Nice report however with all due respect your first line makes the post some what bias. I mean I would not bit the butt of the guy signing my cheques that's for sure. Do not get me wrong I brought these issues up when I was making comments about the DJ and someone indicated that I should look at the Cherokee. . The details re the problems I listed were all found on the internet seen below.

In regards to the transmission problems they are real and yes they were delayed due to a software glitch causing the trany problems. However if you go here; {

This site gives the percentages of trany problems over 92 that responded to the poll.

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/6177-transmission-issues-11.html

In regards to the "cold Feet" that was noted here;

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/8346-cold-feet-cherokee-limited-2.html

I am sure that the Cherokee will be a very successful vehicle in the future however it is going through the growing pains just like any other new design from any of the mfg's.

Good luck with your Cherokees however for the money the DJ is a better buy for the buck. More room, more comfort, more cargo space, much nicer looking, same amenities and the the same fuel economy.

I think you need to read that poll again. *sigh*

92 people responded, 66 people said they had 0 issues. As I said, Cherokees with a build date of newer than December 16, 2013 are likely to have issues but there are 2 TSB flashes that fixes them already and newer builds don't have these issues as they come with the newer firmware.

I would like to point out that when the 2011's came out with the 6 speed, I had to get my transmission flashed too. The DJ isn't holier then thou, and looks are a personal opinion. Also, it looks like that same issue of Consumer Reports had lots of good things to say about it, not that it matters *at all*.

Edited by zmttoxics

I think you need to read that poll again. *sigh*

92 people responded, 66 people said they had 0 issues. As I said, Cherokees with a build date of newer than December 16, 2013 are likely to have issues but there are 2 TSB flashes that fixes them already and newer builds don't have these issues as they come with the newer firmware.

I would like to point out that when the 2011's came out with the 6 speed, I had to get my transmission flashed too. The DJ isn't holier then thou, and looks are a personal opinion. Also, it looks like that same issue of Consumer Reports had lots of good things to say about it, not that it matters *at all*.

You are correct!!

There were 92 responded and 66 indicated that they had 0 problems. However 26 (28%) did have problems! That is a pretty significant number in my opinion. That I think means that for every 3.5 Cherokees sold to these 92 customers they have been returned to the dealer for a transmission problem. I hope you are right about the build date and that they have corrected the problem. Jeep indicated that the release date of the new Cherokee was delayed due to trany problems and shipments were held until the flashes took place to correct the new shipments. What happened to that corrective measure as there are still failures dating into Feb/14?

Did they indicate the build dates of those reporting failures?

Not all dealers perform TSBs as they are meant to and not

all owners have the train of thought to note minor indications

that might trigger a tsb at a good dealer.

Nice report however with all due respect your first line makes the post some what bias.

however for the money the DJ is a better buy for the buck. More room, more comfort, more cargo space, much nicer looking, same amenities and the the same fuel economy.

1) Absolutely; and I did note that in the body of my post. Just presenting another side of the story is all.

2) Agreed as well. My wife and I looked at the preproduction pictures and specs before we ordered our Journey. We didn't look very long. The Journey is highly under-rated, IMO. After spending 600 miles in it this weekend on our road trip, I was ready to turn around and drive across the country. I love driving this car! And if you've looked at all the pictures I've posted of it in the last nine months, you will see that I think it's good looking also :)

1) Absolutely; and I did note that in the body of my post. Just presenting another side of the story is all.

2) Agreed as well. My wife and I looked at the preproduction pictures and specs before we ordered our Journey. We didn't look very long. The Journey is highly under-rated, IMO. After spending 600 miles in it this weekend on our road trip, I was ready to turn around and drive across the country. I love driving this car! And if you've looked at all the pictures I've posted of it in the last nine months, you will see that I think it's good looking also :)

Thanks for the come back. Nice post. Looking forward to test driving the DJ this week. Will drive the DJ with the RT & LTD pkg. We have had AWD for the past three vehicles but maybe not this time. However our winters are bad here in Northern Ont and really felt secure with the AWD. However I have watched a number of videos and read the reports that indicate a FWD vehicle with snow tires is a good as an AWD with all seasons. I have never used winter tires on my last vehicles and have never had a problem. So it is worth considering the FWD with "All Weather tires" like the Nokian WRG3.

Curious about the "Crew". I see a lot of them around town but do not see that option pkg for 2014 here in Canada. Was it replaced by the LTD? Also the mpg's reported on your trip were they US gls or Imp gls?

Thanks again for the info. Great fuel economy with the V6!!

Curious about the "Crew". I see a lot of them around town but do not see that option pkg for 2014 here in Canada. Was it replaced by the LTD? Also the mpg's reported on your trip were they US gls or Imp gls?

Thanks again for the info. Great fuel economy with the V6!!

The Crew was replaced by the Limited in the US for 2014. They are identical vehicles which have simply been rebadged and a couple of different colors are available this year. Not sure what the trim levels are named in Canada this year. I noticed, based on the myriad of pictures posted on this forum, that the Canadian R/T Rallye seemed to be equivalent in exterior apperance to my 2013 Crew. For instance: The US 2013 Crew featured chrome door handles, roof rails, grille, and the availability of chrome clad 19" wheels whereas our R/T has body-colored handles and grille, no roof rails and 19" wheels finished in Satin Carbon only. The Canadian R/T Rallye had all the same chrome features as the US Crew, whereas the R/T without the Rallye option looks more like the US R/T. Not sure of the lineup in Canada this year or what changes , if any, were made. As Wikipidia would say, "citations needed"!

I never understood "Crew" as a trim level name for the Journey. To me, it conjures up an image of a four-door Ram pickup, which is fine in itself - I love the Ram truck - but it just seems like an odd name for a luxury trim level. "Limited" seems much more appropriate.

The MPG I reported is in US gallons, and taken right from the EVIC. One of these days I'll do the actual arithmetic and compare it to what the EVIC states. It's accurate in my 300M - every time I've ever checked it mathematically, it is within .2 MPG. I am indeed happy with the mileage. When the weather was warm, we were averaging 22-24 per tankful. That has dropped to about 18.5-20 MPG with the cold and the extensive use of remote start. A couple of tanks were in the 16.5-18.0 range during the worst of the cold and frequent short trips. Still better than my

300M overall by at least 2 MPG with the same city/hwy mix.

• 2 weeks later...

The pentasar v-6 in the DJ has been on wards top ten best engine list, more than once. On price point there is no competition. Consumer reports has been a joke for many years. They have always been in the pockets of import car companies from Japan and Europe. J.D. power and other lists and awards usually do not coincide with the opinions of CR. That is telling enough. I have been wrenching on vehicles for 30+ years from every brand. CR is out to lunch and out of touch with reality. I would use them as a loose guide to options and features and hard data only.

In Canada the RT is AWD CANNOT get 2wd

The Crew (LTD) is the next best thing if you dont want AWD and also if you want leather you have to get the RT in Canada

Or you could just buy the Katzkin kit for your DJ and have leather in any trim you want... It really isn't that expensive and is a simple install.