Key has left the vehicle alarm

My 2011 Journey dings incessantly and displays a message that says, "The key has left the vehicle", when I get out and leave it running.

I wonder why Chrysler engineers programmed this feature into my Journey. Really annoying and totally useless. When I get out of my car and leave it running I know the key leaves with me, Duh. It's very annoying if someone is sitting in the car, like when I dash into a store to pick something up during inclimate weather.

What I would like it to do is prevent the vehicle from being driven without the key. My son and I tested this out.. I left the car running and left the vehicle. Then my son jumped in without a key and drove away. He drove around the block and it acted like there was no problem other than it dinged at him the whole way. Why not make this feature useful? Wake up Chrysler engineers?

Maybe someone can give me a reason for this.

Edited by martinbec05

The message is basically in response to the consequences of the design. In a conventional key-ignition system, short of theft, it is not possible to operate the car without the key. In a keyless system, you can start the car without the fob physically in the vehicle. If you forget to take it with you or it is lost, the system reminds you as such because if the car is shut off, you won't be able to restart it unless the key is nearby. If the system were programmed to not run without the key present, you a greater risk of being stranded should something happen to your fob once you leave. At least the car can be used to get you home or to get help as long as it is not shut off.

The "key has left the vehicle" dings are annoying but I think with what Journeyman425 pointed out is a necessary feature. The annoying dings for me is the seatbelt not fastened. Not that I am opposed to the use of seat belts but when you make a quick run to the corner store and the dings are constant you have no choice but to put the belt on to shut the thing up......damn that Chrysler and their safety vehicles! :)

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Doug D,

The Chrysler safety remark was a joke and I did establish that I wasn't opposed to the use of seatbelts....I wear them too but in a rush to the cornerstore which is about a 1 minute drive on 40km/hr side streets I tend to get lazy and drive without it (I know that is wrong & illegal) and I noticed that the damn thing doesn't stop dinging unlike my GM vehicle that will only ding periodically.

BTW seeing you are from Virginia..... buckle-up-virginia-9970605.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This bothers me because I thought that if it was in park, the key left and the lock button is pressed you could not get it out of park much the same as when using remote start. If you leave your car and then loose your key then yet you could not move the vehicle but that's very unlikely to happen and I could live with that especially if you could program the action.

As far as the dings, you should be able to program it so that once the door is opened and closed and the fob is no longer detected inside the vehicle the dings stop. This way someone else in the car does not have to listen to the dings while you run into the store.

I was planing to use this much like the Police K9 units when I have to leave the car for a few minutes. If I shut the car down and use the remote start then the car turns off within a few minutes which is not good.

I was planing to purchase one of the heat detectors used in the K9 cars for the remote temperature alarm but may have to get the full package to make sure the vehicle is immobilized but the engine runs so air is still on. They are built for various Dodges so hopefully they work on the Journey.

Edited by Timon

• 2 years later...

The dinging when the key leaves doesn't annoy me so much... I'm glad for the notification.  What's annoying to me is it continues to ding even after the key re-enters the vehicle and I have to turn the vehicle off and restart it for the dinging to stop. 

Mine doesn't. 

I have my mailbox key on the vehicle's keyring and when I get out to collect my mail it starts to chime.  When I get back into the vehicle and close the door it stops.

Both my '11 and the current Journey operate the same way.

Edited by bramfrank

On 11/6/2016 at 9:56 PM, ddg8176 said:

The dinging when the key leaves doesn't annoy me so much... I'm glad for the notification.  What's annoying to me is it continues to ding even after the key re-enters the vehicle and I have to turn the vehicle off and restart it for the dinging to stop. 

You may have a low key fob battery that prevents the vehicle from immediately recognizing that the fob has returned to the passenger compartment. Switch FOBIKS and see if the problem disappears. If so, then replace the battery in your original FOBIK, preferably in both. If not, you may have a faulty antenna which is not detecting the FOBIKS' movement.