Gas mileage

bigroo

I just got back from a 300 mile round trip with our 2009 SXT AWD to go grocery shopping (I know it sounds insane but it's 150 miles each way to the nearest large city with a Costco). Needless to say we don't go that often but I ended up with 25.4 MPG. Not too bad.

• 2 months later...
I just returned from a weekemd trip to TN this past weekend. On the way home it was a rainy day and as a result pretty cool, so I decided to turn off the A/C (here in Atlanta the A/C is always on). I reset my fuel economy calculator and within a few miles my MPG jumped up to 28 !!! I thought this can't be right and surely it'll eventually drop but it did't. I filled up the gas tank before I got home and did the calculations, and sure enough it was about 3 MPG better than it had been. I guess I can turn the A/C back on and see if it drops back. Now this is very unscientific, and I can't believe the A/C sucks up that much gas, but now that fall is here we'll be able to drive a bit more without the A/C.

I'll keep you informed.....

Well it's been a few months now and I have sad news to report. I have been driving without the A/C for at least the last three months and I have to report that my mileage is almost exactly the same with the A/C on or off. I can't explain the rise in MPG when I first turned the A/C off, but I knew it had to be too good to be true.

So just to recap, with or without the A/C my MPG is about 20-22.

Happy motoring....

Well it's been a few months now and I have sad news to report. I have been driving without the A/C for at least the last three months and I have to report that my mileage is almost exactly the same with the A/C on or off. I can't explain the rise in MPG when I first turned the A/C off, but I knew it had to be too good to be true.

So just to recap, with or without the A/C my MPG is about 20-22.

Happy motoring....

I get about 20-22 MPG with the 3.5L V6 doing mostly a 60-40% split of highway versus city driving. I've only run the A/C once or twice since getting the car in early November. I'm sure A/C hurts gas mileage by 1-2 MPG, but my bet would be on it hurting highway mileage more than city. I guess I'll find out in the Spring when it starts to warm up again.

• 1 year later...

So I got this baby for gas mileage, and it does fine. Just wondering what everyone else is getting. I have a 3.5l sxt fwd, and i get 19 on the display, but when i figure by odometer, i get 22 mpg. Not too bad, but I want MORE!!! I have a customer that claims 37 on the highway with his 2.4, but I don't know about that. So please share...

My first test drive on the highway and the dash readout reports 32 mpg at 100k/hr... I will be happy if it only averages around 22 mpg! I will report what I am actually getting in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
So I got this baby for gas mileage, and it does fine. Just wondering what everyone else is getting.

You can click on the MyFuelly logo at the bottom of my post if you are curious as to what I get in my 2010 Journey R/T. I must admit it is "all over the map" and is really dependant on the type of driving you do. My mileage is still around 9700 kms. I have the 3.5 L V-6

Regards

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 1 month later...

Our "old" '09 SXT FWD w/3.5L averaged 19-20 mpg (US) in local driving and nearly 26 mpg (25.8) on long trips (4 people + luggage with cruise set at 70 mph and AC on).

Traded in the '09 for a lightly used '10 SXT FWD w/3.5L but we haven't had it long (not even a week) so mileage hasn't been determined yet. The display is right around what we were averaging with the '09.

• 1 month later...

So far I get around 16.5 city and 9.5 hwy but I have to be very gentle on the throttle or the average goes up above 17city.

Just to clarify to all the Americans on this forum, the above figures are a gas consumption rate not mpg, and the lower the number the better. :D

I don't mean to state the obvious (and I apologize to those who understand this) but what this means is it took 9.5 litres (2.51 US. gallons) to travel 100 kms. (62.14 miles) which in your terms is approximately 24.76 mpg. using your US gallons. Just clarifying it for you :D

If you look at the "My Fuelly" logo at the bottom of my post you see a 15.5 which is my average mileage over 36 fillups and over 12,000 kms (7457 miles), this translates to 15.19 mpg using US gallons. I know this is low but it does take into account we had a very cold winter and lots of snow. I let my car idle and "warm up" on numerous occasions.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

how accurate is the evic for fuel economy in the 2011's, anyone have experience.

I know that this is not what you asked but on the 2010's it's not "real" accurate. ;) at least not in my experience.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I have now done my second fill up where I have been tracking what the EVIC says in my Crew vs. what I get on fuelly.com.

For the first one, the EVIC said 12.7 but fuelly said it was 13.3, so the EVIC was off by 0.6L/100km. Filled up today, the EVIC said 13.6 and fuelly says 14.2, so it is again off by 0.6L/100km. Interesting that I got the exact same variance two fill-ups in a row. Would certainly be helpful to know that my EVIC is always off by 0.6L/100km.

I fill up at the same gas station every time and I always fill it up.

This last tank was much worse mileage than my previous tank because I did almost no highway driving and I was stuck in heavy stop and go traffic twice. I am still getting over 500kms per tank, which I can live with. My Journey only has 3600kms on it and I don't do much highway driving. Also, the engine is still green, so my gas mileage should improve a bit over time.

My 2011 Lux is very roughly an average of about 19 miles per gallon, US.

This is a mix of highway and city driving. We're not flogging on it, but we're not necessarily being as gentle as possible, either. Just pretty much driving normally.

3,400 miles on it. Just had first oil change at dealer. We get free changes every 3,000 miles through 36,000 miles, so we're gonna use it. ;)

We'll see if the fresh oil and the "break in" has done anything to economy. Maybe I'll watch it a little closer the next few tanks.

• 5 months later...

I don't have very many miles on mine yet, but I filled it up when there was about 3/4 of a tank left. For the first 150 miles, mostly city I got about 19 mpg. Then for the next 150, all highway miles (with cruise on 65) I got 26 mpg. I would like to see a slight improvement around the city.

Chris

just got 2011 journey 500 miles now 3.5 six city i get 11 mpg highway 17 something is wrong,i don't have a lead foot lol

• 1 month later...

just got 2011 journey 500 miles now 3.5 six city i get 11 mpg highway 17 something is wrong,i don't have a lead foot lol

Same for me.

My R/T is getting 19L/100KM (~12mpg) from 90% city driving, while the spec sheets say 13L/100KM (17mpg) City.

From one tank of gas (81L), I'm only getting 400KM. Even my mom's Mercedes GLK with a 3.5 V6 gets 550 KM from a 66L tank.

I really hope these numbers will improve!

gas mileage (3.6 V6) not so great on mine - in city I'm getting about 13-14 mpg, combined I'm getting about 16-17 mpg.

Best mileage I've seen so far is after filling up next to the highway on-ramp, and driving for two hours on highway, I saw 27 mpg to next off ramp. But that was a steady decrease in elevation, which helped I'm sure.

4 cylinder, and going by actual numbers and not by the monitor:

18-19 in the "neighborhood" which = 5 minute trips to the grocery store, other kids houses, gas stations, restaurants etc. In other words- the worst possible scenario for gas mileage AND wear & tear.

22-23 in "city driving" which is mostly around town but usually involves some freeway time.

For highway, 25-26 with the cruise control set @ 77-78 mph. (If I brought it to 55 mph the monitor reads ~31 mpg.)

I've also noticed the monitor isn't all that accurate and it reads a bit low. It seems to me that it's more of a rolling window than a long-term average.

• 9 months later...

I just got my 2012 journey r/t awd and i love it.. One thing that disappoints me is the way it consume gas. Im on my 400k now and the EVICS says im averaging 21.4L/100km most of it is city driving!

To all here having r/t awd, are youguys getting as poor fuel consumption as mine? Im so worried to the fact that im driving as gentle as i can! Will it improve when it get higher mileage or i will be stuck on this very high fuel consumption!!

Please share me your toughts!

I just got my 2012 journey r/t awd and i love it.. One thing that disappoints me is the way it consume gas. Im on my 400k now and the EVICS says im averaging 21.4L/100km most of it is city driving!

To all here having r/t awd, are youguys getting as poor fuel consumption as mine? Im so worried to the fact that im driving as gentle as i can! Will it improve when it get higher mileage or i will be stuck on this very high fuel consumption!!

I too had that when i purchased my journey. but now I get 11 l per 100 km so it improves as you break it in.

Im on my 400k now and the EVICS says im averaging 21.4L/100km most of it is city driving!

My gas mileage is all over the map (no pun intended). If you check the my Fuelly link below you can see what I have averaged since I bought my car in August 2010. It shows I have averaged 15.8 over 75 fill ups. This is a wee bit higher than most people's but it takes into account idling and winter warm ups. Trust me where I live these are a necessary evil.

Lately my mileage is much better as I seem to average under 14l/100 kms., my vehicle has 25000 kms. on it. If you look at it with the exception of fillups 70 -72 where I think I entered the incorrect mileage and screwed up.

I agree with others I am sure your mileage will improve as you put more miles on.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Thanks guys!!! Cross fingers that it will improve!!

Windancer, i saw you journey on the gallery and i love how you set it up! I wish i could get that chrome r/t badge on the side! Can you help me find it! Are all mopar accessories have the same price!

Im looking forward to put air deflector and running boards on mine i just dont know where i can get a good deal!!

Can you guys help me with this??

Thanks!

Windancer, i saw you journey on the gallery and i love how you set it up! I wish i could get that chrome r/t badge on the side! Can you help me find it! Are all mopar accessories have the same price!

Chris, Everything with the exception of the Buick "portholes" was ordered through my dealer. I could probably get all the part numbers if you needed them. The chrome, step bars, mirror caps, R/T emblems, sill plates, gas cap etc. plus both air deflectors were all ordered through my dealer in Indian Head.

Terry

Chris, Everything with the exception of the Buick "portholes" was ordered through my dealer. I could probably get all the part numbers if you needed them. The chrome, step bars, mirror caps, R/T emblems, sill plates, gas cap etc. plus both air deflectors were all ordered through my dealer in Indian Head.

Terry

I will visit my dealer tommorow! See if we can find them! I will get back to you as soon as i can! I might be asking you about those parts # if my visit to dealership is not a success!!

Thank you windancer!

• Official Dodge Support

Chris1276,

I agree with the general consensus re: your gas mileage.

There is a break-in period where you will see your fuel consumption be a bit higher than anticipated at time of purchase.

If you get to your first oil change and your mileage doesn’t change, ask your dealer about starting a fuel consumption test.

This should help figure out if there is an issue and investigate further if there is one.