Kumho Tires

walker

My 2012 Journey Crew came with 19 inch Kumho tires. Never even heard of this brand before. I am wondering if they will be difficult to find if I have a failure? Hopefully they will be readily available. In addition I hope I will want to replace with the same tires when the time comes.

Anyone have experience with these tires? Comments?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kuhmo tires, and there are a half dozen dealers within 20 miles of my home in the West Island of Montreal.

They have dealer locator tools on their web sites - They have 13 dealers listed within 10 miles of our office north of the beltway in Atlanta and Sears is a dealer of theirs (though likely special order) as is Tire Rack. Customer reviews are very good.

Tire Rack have the 19" tire in stock at $206 each.

Thanks for the differing replies. Hopefully they will last forever at $206 each. I will do some searching here and their web site. My main concern is not being stuck buying another off brand tire if I have a failure while traveling.

Thanks for the differing replies. Hopefully they will last forever at $206 each. I will do some searching here and their web site. My main concern is not being stuck buying another off brand tire if I have a failure while traveling.

You must of had an idea that 19" tires were going to cost a fortune.....Actually $206 is not even that bad for a tire that size. I remember the salesmen tried really hard to have me upgrade from the SXT to the Crew edition and the deal breaker was the tire size.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I agree the size of tire is strange but the name "Kumho"? Sounds something like a WWII Japanese war movie "Tora, Tora, Tora or Bonzai!.I browsed some of the older messages here and itsounds like people are split with some saying these tires are great while others think they are garbage.

I'm a bit put off by the price since these are only car tires. My motorhome tires went for around $700 each before we unloaded the rig.

I was surprised to see sears as a dealer in Kumho but not a large supplier like Tire Kingdom. I'll have to ask my dealer if they keep these tires in stock. I would hate to have a failure and be forced into buying some other oddball tire off the rack. They seem to ride and handle decently...I hope the 2010/2011 backlog is over.

I believe the Kumho shortage is improved, at least. There are other brands and different sizes that will fit on our Journeys. Don't panic. When the time comes, you'll have plenty of replacement choices. Keep your Journey aligned and your tires properly inflated and chances are that your tires will last a long time. Anything can happen, though, I've had mine for over a year on my 2011, and I have had no issues. They've rolled as smoothly at 105mph as they have at 10mph thus far. I even put a different size/design of Kumho tires on my wife's SUV. No problem over the last 8 months on her rig either. Good Luck.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kuhmo tires

I beg to differ. I had Kumho's on a 2009 Journey SXT and they were worn out at 47K. I have a '10 Journey SXT now (long story) and the Kumho's were worn out at 42K miles. Sure, the dry/wet performance was good, but the longevity was something to be desired. The OEM Michelins on my '06 Ram lasted 111,000 miles by comparison. I installed Firestone Affinity (70K mile warranty) on our Journey - goit a good deal - buy 3 get one free. I will not purchase Kumho's again. Oh and I am glad I have 17" rims for the Journey and not 19".

Sure, the dry/wet performance was good, but the longevity was something to be desired.

I will admit the Kumho tires initially scared me a bit, but as someone pointed out it wasn't the Kumho tires that were the problem, it was Chrysler's odd choice of tire sizes. The mileage from these tires from these tires may be a little poor but in all honesty they are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. These tires along with others are quite soft which improves the ride but shortens the tire life. Personally I really don't think $206/tire is all that bad.

Granted when it comes time to replace them, I'm sure the selection will be much larger. I wiil probably replace them with Toyo's, Michelins, BF Goodrich or Goodyears etc.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Reckon chrysler's choice of tire size on the DJ is odd, to say the least. But I am NOT impressed with the Solus kh16 nonetheless.

They have proven to be less than adequate when braking in wet conditions.

I've driven these on gravel roads (I know, theyre not intended for that but there's a minimum) and they sucked.

They are already way too worn for 40000 km.

The Toyo Versado CUV in 235 wide are my next tires, might change them before the kumho's are due. That or I get these, hence getting more tire choices : http://www.tirerack....=All&sort=Brand

• 1 month later...

I can not believe the cheap crappiest tire from Kumho tire on the Dodge Journey 2010. I called Kumho tires and the gentleman, and I use that loosely, was so rude to me and hung up on me. I proceeded to call back and was hoping to speak to his superviser and it was him. He was the manager! What a crappy customer service expierence with them. I will NEVER buy a Dodge or anything with Kumho ever again! My Journey has 20,000 miles and the tires are evenly bald! It is a recall waiting to happen, but I hope not at the cost of someones life!

Edited by weisis

Got an 09 with the 19" Kumho tires. Can't wait to get them off. I've had problems with slippage in rain and the are terrible in anything over 1/2 inch of snow. Have 41,000 on them and they are starting to show the wear indicators, so I'll be going Michelin (if I can get them in a proper size). I will say I never had a leak or flat, but was not impressed with them from day one.

I can not believe the cheap crappiest tire from Kumho tire on the Dodge Journey 2010. I called Kumho tires and the gentleman, and I use that loosely, was so rude to me and hung up on me. I proceeded to call back and was hoping to speak to his superviser and it was him. He was the manager! What a crappy customer service expierence with them. I will NEVER buy a Dodge or anything with Kumho ever again! My Journey has 20,000 miles and the tires are evenly bald! It is a recall waiting to happen, but I hope not at the cost of someones life!

So, let me get this right. . . You won't buy a dodge ever again just because you had a bad experience with one set of tires? Do what you want but I'd say that's a little limiting. Kumhos may be the cheap crappiest tires going. Dunno. I haven't yet seen any kumho mass recall, though. I'm not defending kumho, as I'm not a tire expert, but so far they have been pretty good on my 2011 DJ; 18K miles and they look great. My set of kumhos, at least, have been a smooth driving tire without balancing issues and seem pretty grippy. Best of luck with your next set.

Peace.

So, let me get this right. . . You won't buy a dodge ever again just because you had a bad experience with one set of tires? Do what you want but I'd say that's a little limiting. Kumhos may be the cheap crappiest tires going. Dunno. I haven't yet seen any kumho mass recall, though. I'm not defending kumho, as I'm not a tire expert, but so far they have been pretty good on my 2011 DJ; 18K miles and they look great. My set of kumhos, at least, have been a smooth driving tire without balancing issues and seem pretty grippy. Best of luck with your next set.

Peace.

i agree with redtomatoman my 2011 mainstreet has 31k on it and my tires look and ride great i have rotated them twice and they still look like they will go an other 31k dont know if i will buy more of them or not but i dont have no complaints about them. i have always like bridgestone tires as i do alot of interstate driving so my tires might last longer than someone doing alot of stop and go.also i always replace my tires way before the tread bars get close to showing as i like deep tread on my tires for better water hydroplaning so if i get 60 k out of a tire i feel like i have got my moneys worth.. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY but thats how i feel about using the tires down to the tread bars drive safe my friends

So, let me get this right. . . You won't buy a dodge ever again just because you had a bad experience with one set of tires?

Couldn't agree with you more. the tire issue, if there is one, is not to be confused with the car itself. The tire is only one part of the entire car, it may be a weak link but does not make the car.

That's like me saying my 2010 DJ is better because it has a Navteq guidance system while the 2011's and newer use a Garmin system ( and no I don't want to start a discussion on this), In MY CASE the tires are working very well, but others may have a problem with them which I can understand.

Terry

I don't think he meant he will not buy a dodge ever again, I think he meant he would not "accept" the Kuhmos as oem.

Anyhow, you can't avoid the Kumhos, they are on lots of manufacturers vehicules as oem, namely dodge, hyundai, kia, etc.

The Santa Fe for example, has the kh21s. A guy I know has a 2010 limited awd and he has more kms on it than me but they are not as worn. Maybe it's a kh16 thing.

I believe the Kumho shortage is improved, at least. There are other brands and different sizes that will fit on our Journeys. Don't panic. When the time comes, you'll have plenty of replacement choices. Keep your Journey aligned and your tires properly inflated and chances are that your tires will last a long time. Anything can happen, though, I've had mine for over a year on my 2011, and I have had no issues. They've rolled as smoothly at 105mph as they have at 10mph thus far. I even put a different size/design of Kumho tires on my wife's SUV. No problem over the last 8 months on her rig either. Good Luck.

Peace.

And if I may add... rotate every 10,000km's as this will ensure even wear. My neighbor has an 11' DJ and was bitching about the front tires being bald. Looking at the rears, you could tell the tires had never been rotated and the front of a DJ carries a lot of weight over the front tires so rotate religiously every 10,000km's and they will last just like any other tire.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 26k miles on my 2011 Journey R/T and the original Kumho tires are already worn down to 2/32". I did everything by the book rotated the tires every 7.5k miles and inflated them properly but despite that I have to replace them now. As you know a new set cost me over $900 installed and I'm not willing to swallow that cost. My tire dealer talked to Kumho and they refuse to pay me a refund unless I buy another set from Kumho again. But I don't want to buy another set of this junk tires. Does anyone know if Dodge can help out since it is still under their warranty?

I must admit I have been very diligent about rotating my tires, so far it seems to be working. I have so far gotten 28,000 kms. and they seem to be wearing evenly and quite well. IMO I really think original tires are too soft (better initial ride) and wear faster than replacement tires. Case in point my original Caravan tires seemed to get much less mileage on it's original tires than the replacements.

Having said that when it comes time to replace the Kumho's, I will probably get Michelins, Toyo or Good Year only because they have worked for me in the past.

Terry

146733255.jpg

Edited by Windancer

When I was at the dealership ordering our Journey, I mentioned to the salesperson I would like to swap out the Kumho tires for another brand. I don't know if this is possible but I sent the dealer and email today to find out. Has anyone been able to do this? I'm willing to pay a little more if I can get something else. By the way I ordered the SXT with everything the same as the CREW, so I could stay away from the 19' tires.

I had a 2002 Neon R/T with goodyears on it and they were the crappiest tire i have ever owned, nice ride but just way too soft, got 40,000km out of them. Most recently had a 2011 Chrysler 200 with goodyears as well and they were absolutely horrible in the rain, never felt safe on the highway. So far my 2012 DJ R/T Rallye AWD with the Kumho's has been a thousand times better, but i only have 5000km on it so far. We will see how they hold up, but my last choice would be goodyear