Winter Weather Driving Impressions!

JhamB

Hey Everyone! I just wanting to share my thoughts on how the fwd 4cyl handles winter weather. So far we’ve only encountered some pretty heavy ice and a little snow. So far so good. It’s not going to tackle a mountain range but it’ll get you to work no problem. What weather have you all been in? 

7B9270C8-4368-40B0-922C-6D144DA3306D.jpeg

2A326678-9F19-43BC-8BEB-8D803A69A050.jpeg

892C2DEF-00B4-4B67-8580-0D681477F56A.jpeg

Nice to hear someone happy about their Journey. Winter solitude can be found in the rolling country side like that.

FWD I think in general is good enough for average winter conditions, especially with winter tires. The Journey awd is also pretty good for a simple system. I’ve had Jeep’s, pickups, atv’s various sophisticated four wheel drive systems over the years. You can still get stuck...and even farther into the rhubarb, which turns into a more expensive tow if it comes to that. 

If cold by itself killed COVID bacteria, the north would be in the clear right now. Maybe next virus will play nice.

so true on the 4 wheel drive jeeps and awd vehicles getting stuck in bad weather,,,, i worked at chrysler in huntsville al and we get more ice than snow but every once in a while we get a couple of days of both and i live about 30 miles one way from work and  never had any problems getting to work with my fwd caravans ,just being careful and going slow, while a lot of the local southern drivers with their new jeeps stuck alongside the road in the ditch, and they would be saying that was why i bought my 4 by 4 so it wouldn't slid into the ditch ,i would just laugh and say you still have to drive carefully 

I got to drive my AWD Journey in about eight inches of snow this weekend. It did pretty well, despite the aging all season tires. A good set of winter tires would have made me feel unstoppable. Like said earlier, the AWD definitely aids in acceleration, but it doesn't do much for stopping. It's very important to go slow, stay back from cars in front of you, and allow plenty of space to slow down before coming to a stop. Other than that, cruising around in the snow is pretty fun. The Journey did well.  

1 minute ago, JeremyJ said:

I got to drive my AWD Journey in about eight inches of snow this weekend. It did pretty well, despite the aging all season tires. A good set of winter tires would have made me feel unstoppable. Like said earlier, the AWD definitely aids in acceleration, but it doesn't do much for stopping. It's very important to go slow, stay back from cars in front of you, and allow plenty of space to slow down before coming to a stop. Other than that, cruising around in the snow is pretty fun. The Journey did well.  

LOL...WE are getting that kind of snow today and tomorrow. And your posting is EXACTLY as I've been telling my son of driving his AWD DJ this first winter. Our rural towns and State highway crews do a pretty decent job of keeping the roads clear of deep snow, it's just the packed snow and slush from salt that we have to watch out for. Here in WNY roads crews are very good about plowing in timely manner for normal hours of driving. I don't want him "horsing around with the DJ like he did with his old Neon!  ;)

last night Metro Detroit got 8 inches. It was a poo-show getting in this morning; so many cars randomly stuck at green lights.

I actually opted out of my DJ and took my VOLT (just because I'm spoiled now by electric propulsion) despite it being the wrong option. 

Still; as someone said;
FWD isn't an issue. you just need decent tires, and know how and where (and where not) to drive in deep snow. I've not had any issues with the DJ in deeper snow, and the only time I got stuck was when I was "horsing around " in a parking lot, as Rebel says!