Newbie with a dealership warranty question

SashaP

First time buying from a dealership. I purchased a 2017 Dodge Journey Crossroads Plus, 84,000 miles, on Saturday, 1/23/21. Original warranty remaining on 100,000 and bought an extended 3yr/36,000 Basic. I discovered a ticking sound coming from the engine on Sunday, did my due diligence and researched the possibilities, discovering that the lifter is the most likely culprit. Called the dealership on Monday morning, my salesman told me to bring it in. They checked it out and confirmed it’s the lifter, though I was told that I needed to wait 30days for the paperwork to process before they will service it under the warranty. Does this sound right? I would think it would be covered under the original 100,000 Mile warranty that belongs to the car, not the extended that I purchased, so why would we need to wait for the ink to dry on the paperwork?

They delivered it with a problem - they have to fix it - warranty or not.

I hope that the warranty you purchased was from the manufacturer and NOT a third party.

You are probably able to cancel it without penalty if it isn't.  And chances are you will find the cheapest factory warranty extensions online.

where did you buy your journey chrysler or off brand dealership? also the warranty from chrysler is 3/36 yrs and miles and powertrain  is 5 yr / 60 k, the ticking noise isn't an emergency problem BUT needs to be fixed and also either you were mistaken or the salesman is wrong on your coverage, i am assuming you bought a after market 3rd party warranty, and NO that doesn't sound right to have to wait,, you have signed paperwork that you bought a warranty,, hope everything turns out okay keep us posted,, also the warranty you purchased probally has a deductible that you will have to pay as well

Edited by 2late4u

Multiple warranties applied upon purchase as pictured in this portion of the listing. I purchased from a Chrysler Dealership in the Houston TX area. I really feel like they are trying to give me the run around and am worried they want me to wait the 30days because of some clause I must have agreed to upon signing, who reads every line of a contract even though we all know we should.

9BEFE47D-8664-46B7-BD50-6DF720C24473.jpeg

I think problem could be dealer them selves can’t put claim in to insurance warranty company in under 30 days.  Insurance might assume it was a preexisting condition which they shouldn’t be covering ...and deny claim.

Weird situation really, would be tempting to get out of deal. Big dealerships are still less risk than small used car dealers with less to lose IMO. Car contract rules vary so much from place to place. Usually there is a designated “cooling off” period where contracts can be easily cancelled without penalties.

In contact with dealer this morning, so far they are trying to claim it shouldn’t have been advertised that way. Maybe in a plea for me to bow out gracefully? I’d love too but the warranty is one of the reasons I bought this year model with its higher mileage @ $11,900, I was in the market for something younger and with few miles to start with, now I feel like I should have held out. 

Edited by SashaP

Two things...

Since the car was advertised as 100k drivetrain warranty call Chrysler directly and tell them what is happening. I did when my transmission went out and got it done at my local dealer with a rental car added at no cost and no further problems. 

As far as the warranty, I guarantee you there is a clause somewhere in there that states there is a 30 day period before work is performed or for you to be able to cancel the warranty with no penalty. There should be a separate price for that warranty that would come off the total price of you cancel it... my guess would be $2-$3K charge worked into the price. 

The original warranty is 85k, but you bought the one advertised as 100k, at the Chrysler dealer at that. If they screwed up what they advertised, well it's not your problem. You'd be surprised how helpful they become if you speak to the corporate office directly. I had to contact both Chrysler and Ford when I had issues with my cars.

Don't back down and good luck. Keep us posted.  

before making any permanent deal with the dealership maybe investing a few bucks with a lawyer might be advisable as this sounds like a cluster fluck,or at least let the dealership think you have talked with a lawyer but then of course all dealers get you to sign an agreement to a separate mediator as well,,, as for the price for a 2017 doesn't sound bad if they fix the rocker arm problem and let you keep the warranty since it was a certified journey as well, so many things going on here hard to say to stay with it or walk,,,that said i have a 2014 journey and love it, just remember at 100 k you will be due plugs around 250 there, transmission service at least 250 there and also a coolant change not sure i can't remember what i paid for that.good luck and you might as suggested to get corporate involved as well as they hold a lot of power over the dealership since they seemed to have slipped up here

2 hours ago, Armando G said:

Two things...

Since the car was advertised as 100k drivetrain warranty call Chrysler directly and tell them what is happening. I did when my transmission went out and got it done at my local dealer with a rental car added at no cost and no further problems. 

As far as the warranty, I guarantee you there is a clause somewhere in there that states there is a 30 day period before work is performed or for you to be able to cancel the warranty with no penalty. There should be a separate price for that warranty that would come off the total price of you cancel it... my guess would be $2-$3K charge worked into the price. 

The original warranty is 85k, but you bought the one advertised as 100k, at the Chrysler dealer at that. If they screwed up what they advertised, well it's not your problem. You'd be surprised how helpful they become if you speak to the corporate office directly. I had to contact both Chrysler and Ford when I had issues with my cars.

Don't back down and good luck. Keep us posted.  

2017 warranty is 3 yr/36 k               5 yr /60 k on powertrain    even tho they said 85 k

Thanks everyone for your advice. I was asked to bring it back in to have the next level engine tech look it over, and of course he confirmed what the, apparent, lower level tech had already determined. They have yet to let me know how they plan to handle the warranty issue, though I was assured I would hear back today. When I got home I took it to my mechanic to verify that there were no other issues, thank God there aren’t. I will give the dealership until 3pm tomorrow and If I do hear of a resolution I plan to contact Chrysler Corporate as was suggested here. I will let you know what happens. I really hope I don’t have to return it. I kind of already love it.

Edited by SashaP
Misspelling corrections

1 hour ago, 2late4u said:

2017 warranty is 3 yr/36 k               5 yr /60 k on powertrain    even tho they said 85 k

You're correct. I was more focused on the advertised warranty. 

@SashaP how they work out out for you. Look into the extended warranty... you do have 30 days to cancel this. Unless you got a good prove on it.

So, they told me they would fix the issue and lend me a rental until it has been fixed. They won’t issue me any warranty other than the extended I purchased. I did call Corporate and they told me about a warranty issued by them for an airbag issue... (that’s great) I reevaluated the dealership bought extended warranty and went with a better one from my research. Now I have to figure out how to cancel the dealership purchase. Anyone have experienced with that?

1 hour ago, SashaP said:

So, they told me they would fix the issue and lend me a rental until it has been fixed. They won’t issue me any warranty other than the extended I purchased. I did call Corporate and they told me about a warranty issued by them for an airbag issue... (that’s great) I reevaluated the dealership bought extended warranty and went with a better one from my research. Now I have to figure out how to cancel the dealership purchase. Anyone have experienced with that?

look at the paperwork you rec on the warranty and at the end of all the listed coverage it should give you a phone # and the info you need to cancel it, and as well as stated above i hope you bought a mopar warranty and not a third party warranty as they have a lot of loopholes and make getting work done a lot harder from what i have read...good luck

On 1/28/2021 at 6:17 AM, SashaP said:

Now I have to figure out how to cancel the dealership purchase. Anyone have experienced with that?

If you have done your research and found a warranty satisfactory to you, canceling the dealer sold warranty should be as easy as a call to them requesting they email you the cancelation form. Email it back so you have proof when it was submitted (make sure it's within 30 days of purchase). Make sure it shows exactly how much they charged you for it and send a copy to the finance company (to reduce your loan). My exact steps when I bought my DJ and canceled the extended warranty. 

• 6 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 5:17 AM, SashaP said:

First time buying from a dealership. I purchased a 2017 Dodge Journey Crossroads Plus, 84,000 miles, on Saturday, 1/23/21. Original warranty remaining on 100,000 and bought an extended 3yr/36,000 Basic. I discovered a ticking sound coming from the engine on Sunday, did my due diligence and researched the possibilities, discovering that the lifter is the most likely culprit. Called the dealership on Monday morning, my salesman told me to bring it in. They checked it out and confirmed it’s the lifter, though I was told that I needed to wait 30days for the paperwork to process before they will service it under the warranty. Does this sound right? I would think it would be covered under the original 100,000 Mile warranty that belongs to the car, not the extended that I purchased, so why would we need to wait for the ink to dry on the paperwork?

Typically this would be covered by any 30 day guarantee a dealer might have but yes if they’re trying to use the extended warranty then it would be 30 days after purchasing. A lifter I think would be covered under your 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty but it would depend on your in service date.